Can somebody explain what's going on?

Associate
I have the Virgin 350Mb package.

The virgin hub 3 is in modem mode and plugged into my Nighthawk R8000 for DHCP etc.

When I connect via Wifi 5GHz I get around 330Mbps, when I use a cable (cat7) I'm getting 280Mbps (averages).

Sometimes on cable it would go down to 90Mbps.
Router is on latest firmware, surely the cable should always be faster. I've just bought a new cat 8 cable just in case the other one was damaged but still the same.

Any ideas? I've tried everything I can think of.

Associate
OP
Last question, it is the nighthawk providing the wifi?
Pretty much try this (which already covered earlier) but hope it helps.
Yeah, nighthawk is providing wifi.

SO as I said before QoS IS disabled as I've never used it but I just enabled it then disabled it and did another test

Wired : 386Mbps
Wireless : 386Mbps

Hmmm...
Going to work now but I'll try it again later

Soldato
If those Cat7 and Cat8 cables came from the likes of Amazon or eBay then there’s a good chance that they’re complete junk.

Stick to quality Cat5e or Cat6 rather than falling for the BS claims in the listings.

Associate
OP
If those Cat7 and Cat8 cables came from the likes of Amazon or eBay then there’s a good chance that they’re complete junk.

Stick to quality Cat5e or Cat6 rather than falling for the BS claims in the listings.
I know. All the reviews were positive though. I know don't need a cat8 but if it does 2.5 GB then that'll do. Didn't have time to double test tonight as I left the house at 7 this morning and just got back.

Soldato
I know don't need a cat8 but if it does 2.5 GB then that'll do.
Cat5e handles 2.5GbE and 5GbE at full length (100m).

You only need to start thinking about higher category cables for 10GbE. For typical domestic networks that might mean that Cat6 is required. If you want to get exotic you could maybe justify Cat6a, but it's almost certainly guaranteed to be overkill.

There's a good reason why Cat5e is still widely available.

Back
Top Bottom