I feel like having a whinge dammit.

Soldato
Awww, Diddums, here we go again.

We play games on Friday nights, this is generally accompanied with a healthy dose of happy juice. Now a few of the folks I play with (and have done for over a decade) rarely turn up anymore, but let their kids play with us. Now let me be clear, this is NOT the kind of atmosphere I'd want my kid playing in. Think of a pub at 10pm on a Friday night and you'll have a good idea.

Most times I've fine with it, we were all young once, and it's also nice to have fresh blood in the community so I don't really mind. But when it becomes every single Friday, every single raid, and dad is always "out" whilst they're on, is it really fair on the rest of the group? Dad literally gives them a tenner for an uber eats, puts them on the playstation with us and then buggers off all night. Every. Single. Time.

The fact that raid spots are limited and there are many of us who are the same age, with the same interests, who enjoy a drink and talking crap all night who then have to sacrifice a spot and then watch our mouths because someone's 16 year old kid wants to play doesn't sit right with me.

So I ask you GD, the fountain of reason and knowledge, AIBU?

Ok, ok, I'll come back to the fold. What we playing?

Associate
Maybe just stop holding your tongues. See how long Dad is happy letting you all babysit when he starts hearing some of the new language his son is learning.

Soldato
16s hardly too young to be hearing some naughty words is it?

I thought you were going to mention a 9 or 10 year old.

16 is old enough to be given some banter/abuse too. Give the dad a heads up and then just revert to normal behaviour.

Soldato
So, basically you're whinging cos you're getting beaten by a bunch of kids.
50743284567_066c0db645_o_d.gif

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I clicked on this thread, wondering what it was about and gradually realised that it was about PlayStation games, which goes sailing right over my head.
I WhatsApped my younger son and asked if his son, (18), was into PlayStation, he said “Yes, he plays with a bunch of kids from all over Europe.”
I said, “What about you, you into it?”
He said, “Are you kidding, what am I, 13?”

Soldato
I'm probably gonna find an alternative way to form groups without him knowing.

This sounds like the best approach. If he keeps failing to turn up himself, then I'd make arrangements around him.

Maybe just stop holding your tongues. See how long Dad is happy letting you all babysit when he starts hearing some of the new language his son is learning.

By the sounds of things his dad doesn't give a ****.

Man of Honour
I clicked on this thread, wondering what it was about and gradually realised that it was about PlayStation games, which goes sailing right over my head.
I WhatsApped my younger son and asked if his son, (18), was into PlayStation, he said “Yes, he plays with a bunch of kids from all over Europe.”

The oldest computer gamer I knew personally was in their 80s. They were well into it and had plenty of spare time since they were (unsurprisingly) retired.

Humans of all ages have been playing games at least throughout recorded history(*). Probably all of human history. Probably pre-human hominids too. Why should it make such a difference if the gaming equipment is a computer or a bat or a board and pieces or dice or a deck of cards or whatever?

* People in ancient mesopotamia, at (and probably before) the very beginning of recorded history, played games. One of those games is the oldest known surviving board game. You can't time travel to a tavern in ancient mesopotamia to play it, but you can play it in your browser right where you are now:

https://royalur.net/

Associate

And your point is....?

Caporegime
The fact that raid spots are limited and there are many of us who are the same age, with the same interests, who enjoy a drink and talking crap all night who then have to sacrifice a spot and then watch our mouths because someone's 16 year old kid wants to play doesn't sit right with me.

Maybe just don't watch your mouths... carry on as usual? It's not your problem some numpty has stuck his kid on there and if they don't like the fact there is bad language then they can always just not stick their kid on there in future.

Maybe just don't watch your mouths... carry on as usual? It's not your problem some numpty has stuck his kid on there and if they don't like the fact there is bad language then they can always just not stick their kid on there in future.
All well and good, but clearly the op here is a decent guy and doesn't want to be as indecent with his loose tongue as he'd normally be while there are youngens around. I'd be the same. I'm sure the op also feels it's just a matter of style of how people 35+ talk, to how someone that's 16 talks, so if he talks and has fun with his friends over chat as he'd normally do, the 16 can't relate/join/joke back appropriately and then what's the point of the 16 being there.

I think some people are getting lost with the fact this event happens over video games. If this was a Friday poker night, or as op has said, Friday 10pm pub night, a lot more I'm sure would agree it's not fair that a 16 year old is being sent in the place of a 40 year old guy.

Imagine the other way around. A bunch of 15/16 year olds playing video games, and one of the kids keeps being busy so sends his dad instead.

Diddums best bet is to be open to the dad and tell him the truth. Even a sugar coated version of the truth is good enough in this situation

Soldato
Can you kick the kid out of the group? If not, can you forma new group without him?

I would just do what I normally do, regardless of the age of any other player.
Sounds like dad has moved on and it no longer interested in playing anyway.

Caporegime
OP
All well and good, but clearly the op here is a decent guy and doesn't want to be as indecent with his loose tongue as he'd normally be while there are youngens around. I'd be the same. I'm sure the op also feels it's just a matter of style of how people 35+ talk, to how someone that's 16 talks, so if he talks and has fun with his friends over chat as he'd normally do, the 16 can't relate/join/joke back appropriately and then what's the point of the 16 being there.

I think some people are getting lost with the fact this event happens over video games. If this was a Friday poker night, or as op has said, Friday 10pm pub night, a lot more I'm sure would agree it's not fair that a 16 year old is being sent in the place of a 40 year old guy.

Imagine the other way around. A bunch of 15/16 year olds playing video games, and one of the kids keeps being busy so sends his dad instead.

Diddums best bet is to be open to the dad and tell him the truth. Even a sugar coated version of the truth is good enough in this situation

Exactly.

For a bit of extra context, I like this kid. I've known him for yonks and he's always been a part of our group and he's had a really rough couple of years so just kicking him out or carrying on as normal isn't an option - I couldn't do that to the poor fella as he's generally a really nice lad.

The problem is his dad and how he just drops his boy on us to babysit for him whilst he's out with his new totty. That's not on and that's what's irritating me (and a few others). I need to think of a way of discussing this with him without him going in to sulk-mode and pulling his lad out of our group as he'll end up joining those LFG groups on reddit which are usually full of hateful, toxic bullies. As annoying as he can be, he's in good company with us. I just think his dad is taking the mick big time.

Back
Top Bottom