New bay windows fitted, not sure about part of the frame?

Soldato
We just had our new uPVC sash windows fitted. Same as the previous owners did upstairs, they elected not to spend the small fortune on the 3 bay windows so we have now :o

Unfortunately we're not sure about the vertical part of the frame they've built in-between the windows. On the original (100y/o) ones each window had it's own box frame. However you can see that they've put one single piece of wood across which makes a funny join at the top with the architrave. It also means it sticks out, which is now making us think that it'd be hard to fit proper shutters, which was always our intention. We did tell the company this all the way through measuring, ordering and to the fitters.

Any thoughts? Girlfriend just got off the phone with them, will be talking to the fitter later this afternoon.

Pics; https://imgur.com/a/ycijixv

Soldato
OP
You are right it looks crap.
Crap enough to demand to be redone? I'm thinking it would be hidden by the shutters anyway (if they would fit, which I'm concerned about).

Don't be swayed by the unfinished/unpainted look obviously... everything else looks fantastic and I can feel the room is warmer already. Just in time for the autumn!

Soldato
Isn't that bit just a deco cover anyway?

You can ask them to cut it into the architrave if it bothers you that much.

Shutters for bay windows will likely cover the lot though.

Soldato
Looks like the fitters shortcutting by undertaking the easiest way for them to cover what's behind that trim. I'm sure they can do a better job with two pieces of trim angled and joined to follow the angle of the bay.

Soldato
If the windows aren't completely true on the vertical edges you might end up with a visually odd looking join if two bits of wood are mitred or a bead of calk running vertically along that centre join. Neither would be ideal so in some ways the oddity is above and below eye line to keep the vertical section clean.

What might work is if they were able to source a piece of wooden coving with a basic plain contour to it.

Soldato
OP
nope that looks like a bad job ? are the windows load bearing ? if not they should come together with a very small corner piece in .. i'd be thinking whats hiding behind that ?
like this http://www.cmcwindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/marvin-bay-window.jpg
or this
Bay Windows - Kinzel Industries
There's brick pillars so shouldn't need to worry about that. You can see how it looks from the outside opposite in the pic, the houses are all the same; https://imgur.com/3Uy9JxJ

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Girlfriend phoned them earlier and the guy had seen the installer's pictures and seemed agreeable. Well, he wasn't overly defensive saying that's how it should be! I think they will be in touch. She also thinks she heard them talking about being short on the coving style wood so we think that might be why. Not good.

Soldato
You can always tell if they've rushed a job. Send the pictures to the boss and ask him if he's happy for you to post those pictures and a review on facebook...

They normally come back and do a proper job then

Soldato
Crap enough to demand to be redone? I'm thinking it would be hidden by the shutters anyway (if they would fit, which I'm concerned about).

Don't be swayed by the unfinished/unpainted look obviously... everything else looks fantastic and I can feel the room is warmer already. Just in time for the autumn!

Yes its not right, sounds like they have acknowledged as much anyway.

Soldato
OP
Send the pictures to the boss and ask him if he's happy for you to post those pictures and a review on facebook...
They took their own pictures, but yes my girlfriend said essentially that to them.

Yep that looks like a very poor cover up for a mullion bar or no mitring! You can even see the mitring at the top is out too.
Learning new words every day, lol! Do you mean lack of mitring on the vertical piece we're talking about? Or on the architrave/horizontal pieces under the original coving?

I think they look really smart from the outside; https://imgur.com/G95p7qN Can't wait to get shutters and do pointing and tidying up on the outside.. but those are last on a very long list (plus new front door, new tiled path, new wall with railings etc.) after the loft and kitchen :o

Soldato
Learning new words every day, lol! Do you mean lack of mitring on the vertical piece we're talking about? Or on the architrave/horizontal pieces under the original coving?

I think they look really smart from the outside; https://imgur.com/G95p7qN Can't wait to get shutters and do pointing and tidying up on the outside.. but those are last on a very long list (plus new front door, new tiled path, new wall with railings etc.) after the loft and kitchen :o

Hi, yes I mean the angle of the horizontal pieces under the coving also looks "off" - to be fair it will probably look fine with a bit of caulk/filler but still! The vertical piece is the primary abomination but I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

Pic looks nice from the outside. Doesnt even look like theres much wrong with the pointing. is there a reason you went for UPVC rather than timber sash windows? presumably cost? do you know what the difference was?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi, yes I mean the angle of the horizontal pieces under the coving also looks "off" - to be fair it will probably look fine with a bit of caulk/filler but still! The vertical piece is the primary abomination but I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

Pic looks nice from the outside. Doesnt even look like theres much wrong with the pointing. is there a reason you went for UPVC rather than timber sash windows? presumably cost? do you know what the difference was?
Thanks.
I've concluded that the centre horizontal piece under the coving is actually not the same shape as the ones on it's left and right. Once painted you probably wouldn't tell (and especially under shutters!) but still.

We went with uPVC because they are wood effect. The previous owners had the same model installed upstairs and we knew they looked spot on. Even close up and touching them you can barely tell they're plastic. I think timber would have been more expensive, less long lasting etc. These fit the house style (Victorian/early Edwardian) perfectly unlike some monstrosities up the street!

Soldato
Hideouts and typical of modern windows companies, just looking for the quick easy fix without understanding that it looks terrible because it isn’t tight for the sash they are trying to replicate.

Back
Top Bottom