It's funny how (fuel shortages)

Soldato
I can't find any in Nottingham now, I thinks it's bone dry. Probably not going to be able to return to work next week at this rate.
Drove past 8 stations in Notts today, all dry, apart from Sainsbury's who had a queue around the car park with seemingly 2 working pumps. Absolute joke, someone needs to be held accountable for this. The governments reaponse has been short of woeful too

Soldato
Guess we got it good up this way, few pumps out here and there and only seen one station completely out that has all the pumps back on today.

Soldato
Rubbish. Of course it does due to air resistance. Simple physics.
Can't tell if serious?

Didn't know this was such a hot topic really... Thought it was obvious that fuel economy relates to engine load, gearing, overall efficiency of the mechanical system between pistons and tires... Driving everywhere at 22mph in 3rd gear isn't going to be more efficient than say 60mph if you need to go 100 miles. The fact it'll take 3x as long means 3x the overheads e.g. basic wastage of fuel associated with the base load.

My point was, that picking speed is an interplay of safety, journey time and fuel costs. Of course blasting up to 60 and braking down again constantly will waste fuel, but high speed =/= high fuel consumption :)

Caporegime

Didn't know this was such a hot topic really... Thought it was obvious that fuel economy relates to engine load, gearing, overall efficiency of the mechanical system between pistons and tires... Driving everywhere at 22mph in 3rd gear isn't going to be more efficient than say 60mph if you need to go 100 miles. The fact it'll take 3x as long means 3x the overheads e.g. basic wastage of fuel associated with the base load.

My point was, that picking speed is an interplay of safety, journey time and fuel costs. Of course blasting up to 60 and braking down again constantly will waste fuel, but high speed =/= high fuel consumption :)

Actually doing a blast of speed and then coasting then a blast of speed and then coasting, repeat saves up to 20% fuel.

And your chart clearly shows that once you move out of the green zone you are using more fuel to go 100km totally contradicting your high speed=/= high fuel consumption.

AT 65 km/h you will use 7l to go 100km, at 100km/h you will use 9l. Yes you might get there faster but with 2l less fuel.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Managed to get fuel but I had to queue at 2am :( watching the other people while waiting they were all pumping until the machine stopped but no one going above £5.xx...

No max amount so I managed to fill the tank on my pickup - felt the odd one out buying 10x as much as anyone else.

Man of Honour
These idiots must have their heads filled with the contents.

Been a few reports of it around here - couple of drivers, driving lorries other than fuel tankers, have actually called the police after being followed by several cars.

One of our drivers tonight was saying his wife works in caring for the elderly and because they are not actually an emergency service they get no special access to fuel and are having to prioritise the use of fuel to the most critical cases so some older people are suffering because of it and there is nothing they can do.

Transmission breaker
Don
Yup, Hampshire seems to be quite badly affected.
Facebook is full of peeps moaning about no fuel, long queues where there is fuel (albeit for a short time before it's gone), and people running out whilst out looking.

Man of Honour
Things are getting worse not better here. Fuel supply has been almost nonexistent for the past week.

Seems to be slowly getting better here - was going in 2-2.5 hours after delivery last few days but they still had nearly 4 hours later when I filled up and not rationing it like previously.

Soldato
Drove past 8 stations in Notts today, all dry, apart from Sainsbury's who had a queue around the car park with seemingly 2 working pumps. Absolute joke, someone needs to be held accountable for this. The governments reaponse has been short of woeful too

I've been out since 7am and finally found one with some in a petrol station on the ravenshead roundabout just outside of Arnold. Has a £35 per person maximum so dumped that in mine and went and picked the wife's up and filled hers up. I'm not that bothered about me but Mrs Loam is NHS mental health and takes a group in Nottinghamshire that she has to drive to so needs petrol.

On the way home it looked like Sainsbury's in Arnold had, had a delivery but queues were looking massive and growing.

It's done now anyway and £35 will last me the best part of a month, hopefully resolved by then.

Man of Honour

Reminds me of a time in the early sixties, in a pea souper fog I drove from my flat in Rotherhithe to my girlfriend’s place in Bermondsey, I crept slowly up Jamaica Road, made a left into Southwark Park Road, then crawled gingerly, oh so slowly until turning right into Banyard Road and stopping outside her door.
I took a bunch of flowers from the back seat and knocked on her door.
While waiting, a voice behind me said, “What’s the hold up?”
This guy had followed me from Jamaica Road, using my rear lights as a guide, with no idea of where I was going.

Permabanned
Reminds me of a time in the early sixties, in a pea souper fog I drove from my flat in Rotherhithe to my girlfriend’s place in Bermondsey, I crept slowly up Jamaica Road, made a left into Southwark Park Road, then crawled gingerly, oh so slowly until turning right into Banyard Road and stopping outside her door.
I took a bunch of flowers from the back seat and knocked on her door.
While waiting, a voice behind me said, “What’s the hold up?”
This guy had followed me from Jamaica Road, using my rear lights as a guide, with no idea of where I was going.

I find myself alternatively reading your posts in my mind with either a cockney or a Maurice Chevalier accent :) Either way they are always descriptive and amusing.

My wife once had an accident in heavy fog, and I was called out to retrieve her car from a ditch. I asked what had happened and she said as she couldn't see more than a few feet beyond the bonnet she's latched onto the tail of a car that had passed her. Of course the driver of that could see little or no better so she inevitably soon followed the fellow into a ditch...

Caporegime
My electric vehicle says...who needs petrol

It's good that everyone with a petrol car now gets to experience range anxiety normally reserved for electric car drivers. I too now might just pay £15k over the top for an equivalent car to pre-buy what I would spend in fuel over 8 years.

I drive home at midnight and it was madness last night, not a single petrol station open from Luton to Cambridge apart from an Asda in Luton which had a massive tail back. I don't know why the government is dithering, put a mini firebreak lockdown in place to protect the public fro themselves. Shut the schools for two weeks as punishment! Get the cars off the roads and allow time to re-supply.

Also this £30 max spend is retarded, make it £30 min spend to stop people topping up so they have enough for the week. All I see is people just topping up and can't say I blame them. I saw multiple garages last night with people sleeping in their cars in a queue for whenever fuel becomes available. I don't think I will be going to work next week but **** it, rather that than sit trying to find fuel all weekend.

Associate
^ you think they batteries will last 8 years tho, no battery I've ever come across before has.
Check out the price of replacing the batteries, and have a giggle.

Back
Top Bottom