Foundation - TV Series (2021)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I read somewhere that they worked the script so that six characters stay around for the whole series. You can tell that the Emperor, being a clone dinasty, is going to be one. I'm betting that Demerzel and some version of Hari Seldon are also going to stay around (a good guess if you read the books). Gaal seems the central character, so I'm guessing she's going to be another. Not sure about who may be the other two. Any guesses?
I am fine with it as long as it is done well. I would hate for Jared Harris to be killed of quickly.

So far I am happy with what I have seen. Don’t care what critics say, I will make my own opinion.

Soldato
Enjoyed the first two episodes and they made sense. Episode three didn't leave me confused as such as wondering why...
At the end of EP3, Hari's adopted son murders him. EP3 shows the settlers of Terminus some 36 years after that, but why not spent 10 mins letting the viewer know what the murder was all about, and what became of the settlers. The math genius girl (I forget her name) was only in her 20s in the first episode so would have been mid 20s by the time they got to Terminus. Surely she is still around somewhere and can read the predictions. Same to with the murder and the others we saw on the slow ship heading to Terminus.

Also, when the Anacreon ships approach Terminus, the settlers talk about contacting the empire for help. Are they forgetting that they were banished by the empire to spend a miserable existence on some icy hell planet for basically being a treasonous cult?

I've not read the books. I'm actually not keen on reading sci-fi, I prefer to watch it. I'm not impressed with Apple releasing it one episode at a time. It really seems like something that would benefit from being binge watched, so you really immerse yourself in the world. Failing that at least two episodes a week.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Enjoyed the first two episodes and they made sense. Episode three didn't leave me confused as such as wondering why...
At the end of EP3, Hari's adopted son murders him. EP3 shows the settlers of Terminus some 36 years after that, but why not spent 10 mins letting the viewer know what the murder was all about, and what became of the settlers. The math genius girl (I forget her name) was only in her 20s in the first episode so would have been mid 20s by the time they got to Terminus. Surely she is still around somewhere and can read the predictions. Same to with the murder and the others we saw on the slow ship heading to Terminus.

Also, when the Anacreon ships approach Terminus, the settlers talk about contacting the empire for help. Are they forgetting that they were banished by the empire to spend a miserable existence on some icy hell planet for basically being a treasonous cult?

I've not read the books. I'm actually not keen on reading sci-fi, I prefer to watch it. I'm not impressed with Apple releasing it one episode at a time. It really seems like something that would benefit from being binge watched, so you really immerse yourself in the world. Failing that at least two episodes a week.
Agreed. We have decided to wait and binge the rest. This is not the type of show you watch once a week imo.

Sgarrista
Commissario
I was left rather confused by Eps3 as I just finished watching it two hours ago. Comments by Englishpremier above is what bothers me a tad and I had the same observations.

The jumps in time can be somewhat jarring when they arent made entirely obvious.

Soldato
I was actually dreading this as I like the books a lot and couldn't see how they could make it work with the timespan.
Jumping back and forth through the years for the explanations (and letting the viewer know, I'm looking at you The Witcher) and highlighting the Cleon clones solves a lot of issues.

Really impressed with the first episode though.

For those that have not read the books, it is set thousands of years in the future.
Earth is a myth which never made much sense to people because no planet has a moon that size and its not in the Galactic records.
Trantor, being a planet wide city, relies on thousands of planets to supply its food.
There is a lot more I could say but thats going into spoiler territory.

Soldato
When the books jump do they do so jarringly, without offering some sort closure on that part of the scene or story?

The way the series is shown there could be a court case (made up example), the lawyers are making their closing arguments, then boom cuts to 400 years later. Leaving the viewer with no knowledge of what happened. And presumably it was important otherwise it wouldn't have have spent a good 20-30 mins showing it in the first place.

Last edited:
Soldato
When the books jump do they do so jarringly, without offering some sort closure on that part of the scene or story?

Not read them for a few years but am due a re-read soon but IIRC, the individual books do not jump around. Its when you move onto the next book that 150yrs might have passed and there is a quick recap with characters talking about historical events.

If the series had followed the same premise, Hari Seldon would only be in the first 3 episodes as despite the books being about his concept of psychohistory, they are not really about him unless you include the prequels to Foundation.

Going to have to dig them out now.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The books are hard work, for the first 50-100 pages or so, but once you hit through that your golden.

As for the TV show, you would never be able to make a TV show so close to the books unless you have a billionaire willing to fund it and not care about reviewers complaining its far to complicated for their stupid little brains to comprehend.

Watched episode 1 last night and i thought it was very good, its a nice take on the books. I think i might stop watching at this point though and save it for an entire binge day with the log burner on when its rainy and crap outside :)

Soldato
I was actually dreading this as I like the books a lot and couldn't see how they could make it work with the timespan.
Jumping back and forth through the years for the explanations (and letting the viewer know, I'm looking at you The Witcher) and highlighting the Cleon clones solves a lot of issues.

Really impressed with the first episode though.

For those that have not read the books, it is set thousands of years in the future.
Earth is a myth which never made much sense to people because no planet has a moon that size and its not in the Galactic records.
Trantor, being a planet wide city, relies on thousands of planets to supply its food.
There is a lot more I could say but thats going into spoiler territory.

Many many thousands. Trantor is at the centre of well, everything, think Roman Empire in space or rather the end of it. All Asimovs books are related in some way or other and some of the other book series are set in the same universe but meny centuries maybe millennia apart so you see the first steps into robotics, the first steps to the stars, and then, well I won't say anymore.

Back
Top Bottom