• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New World still killing GPUs? Jaytwocentz vs Amazon part2

V F

V F

Soldato
I didn't watch the whole video, it was unengaging. Did he mention exactly what was being stressed about draw calls etc. Did he show any data?

No but I see a lot of Gigabyte and EVGA bashing in the comments.

There's a lot of information missing regarding all of this.

Superstackz:
This is me right now with my 2080 Ti FE won’t even boot, just the black screen, no lights and 100% fans… thankfully, it still has its warranty, sent it yesterday

https://twitter.com/jayztwocents/status/1444421943512342528?s=21

People has also reported they undervolted and it still happened.

Last edited:
Soldato
I find Jay obnoxious he's rude to his followers including me once. I still have him on sub but never like his videos lol. Linus is ok quite entertaining. Hardware unboxed I find honest and informative. Tech yes city a good watch. But my favourite has to be for sure Dawid does tech stuff. Watch him and laugh.

Soldato
No problem here on a Asus TUF 3080OC. 63c Max temps.

stock volts 5120 x 1440 on ultra except shadows on med

I did lock framerate but do that anyway with most games.

Associate
I find Jay amusing, and he generally speaking knows his stuff. I’d follow his advice until we know more, personally. But agree Steve is better from a technical perspective, plus the man gets data ‘science’ too.

Soldato
I find Jay obnoxious he's rude to his followers including me once. I still have him on sub but never like his videos lol. Linus is ok quite entertaining. Hardware unboxed I find honest and informative. Tech yes city a good watch. But my favourite has to be for sure Dawid does tech stuff. Watch him and laugh.

Honestly this guy cracks me up. Only found him about 6 months ago but his quips are damn funny.

Yep Dawid is a good watch as he doesn't try to be all knowing about the hardware in front of him. Plus he has the Death match arena of Death so you know it has to be good :D

LTT is good for the WAN show (less presenter Linus) and builds or tech that isn't really a review. Like the recent 3D printed case.

Caporegime
If there's something in this which is likely given all of the complaints online then I wouldn't be surprised if it's a result of the reference design being under-designed and unable to cope with the power draw or heat, back in the day CPU's/GPU's had VRM's and cooling able to cope with the theoretical limit of the hardware but somewhere along the line manufacturers decided that designing for the theoretical limit was a hindrance and that they would decide what a "realistic load" was and only designed cooling/VRM's to cope with that, software like Prime95/Furmark which tested the hardware close to its theoretical limit were smeared as power viruses and throttled to protect the hardware. So then what happens if a manufacturer gets too aggressive with what a "realistic load" is or there's a unique case such as this game where hardware is utilised in an unexpected/unpredicted way?

Associate
Think the original video showed that whatever he set the cards power limit to, new world would cause it to go quite far above this limit and this could cause some cards to pop.

I would imagine there is some optimisation coming as even in the queues your PCs resource usage is ridiculously high.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
from reddit

"Well add me to the list, New World killed my FTW3 3090"

"Been playing New world since launch now, and was getting black-screen GPU driver crashes almost every day, a few days ago after a black screen my system wouldn't boot.

Re-seated my 3090 and all was well again. But then today another black-screen crash, so I power down the system, and now it won't power up at all, PSU just makes a clicking sound and RAM RGB turns on, but no system fans spin up and no mobo lights come on.

So I go grab my 2080Ti from my server and pop it in, system back to running fine.

I really thought I would have dodged this issue as my 3090 was from over 3months post launch, but here I am.

I know this is a relatively narrow but well understood issue, but man is it frustrating. My 3090 has died 2 days before the start of the BF2042 beta."

V F

V F

Soldato
The 3090 series sounds a little scary, or just the remaining faulty EVGA ones still in circulation?

Or is it really power supply related? Nobody ever seems to give any diagnostic details.

Caporegime
Associate
I like NAAF he's not always 100% right but he says it like it is and has little tolerance for the overpriced marketing inflated crap that plagues PC gaming.

no gamer should be using a 3090 imho, there is a difference between choice and obscenity and Linus/JayZ are a prize pair of t*ts interested in personal wealth above all else.

New World killing GPU's, no how is that possible they have to interface with the driver... If the driver or the hardware isn't up to the job then its a manufacture/vendor problem even if New World is making too many API calls or whatever.

Associate
The game is exposing potential fatal flaws in the power delivery system on a gpu. EVGA ones were most susceptible

gosh! I’m not sure I’d ever considered that could happen. I guess it’s the pace of technology change and less attention/ skill in electrical designs due to shortened timescales

Back
Top Bottom