RAM sticks only working in certain configuration

Associate
Hi, I just got a new cpu (5800x) that is apparently compatible with my motherboard (b450). But when I use my RAM in the optimal positions, slot 1 and slot 3, my pc does not boot up and the CPU or DRAM lights come up on the ez debug. However if I use my RAM in slots 1 and 2, my pc works fine. It just gets really hot under start up, ( when starting up, my CPU reaches up to 70 degrees but my GPU stays at around 50.) anyone know what’s going on here? Thanks

Associate
Hi, I just got a new cpu (5800x) that is apparently compatible with my motherboard (b450). But when I use my RAM in the optimal positions, slot 1 and slot 3, my pc does not boot up and the CPU or DRAM lights come up on the ez debug. However if I use my RAM in slots 1 and 2, my pc works fine. It just gets really hot under start up, ( when starting up, my CPU reaches up to 70 degrees but my GPU stays at around 50.) anyone know what’s going on here? Thanks
What AGESA firmware version are you running? V12 fixed *most* of these issues.

Associate
What's the motherboard model? MSI boards have slots 2 and 4 (labelled A2 and B2) as the optimal ones for two sticks of RAM in dual channel.
Yup, that...s/b 2&4..a few instructions also saying 1st ddr goes into slot 2 before slot 4, it that order. Did you also update bios for 5000 series cpu?

Associate
i watched a video by greg salazar's fix or flop series that had the same issue as you. turned out to be the cpu. while it is rare is could be the issue. have you got another compatible cpu to hand you could test your system with?

Associate
i watched a video by greg salazar's fix or flop series that had the same issue as you. turned out to be the cpu. while it is rare is could be the issue. have you got another compatible cpu to hand you could test your system with?
Someone else here had a similar problem. turned out his aio plate wasn't quite flat so when he tightened it onto the cpu, it pressed in too hard on the cpu and caused the same thing to happen. Unlikely to be the same issue, but worth just checking your cooler/aio isn't too firmly pressed down on the cpu

Associate
OP
Possibly your right, I think I’m going to try a B550 and see if that works with it, if not, a new CPU will have to do haha

Back
Top Bottom