• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overclocking is dying, Silicon Lottery announces shutdown

Associate
What is still surprising to me is that water cooling is still making a killing, despite lowering temps on cpu and gpu having negligible effects on performance in 2021, due to how "cool" they look water cooling parts and AIOs are still making a killing as people buy them just to look cool

can still see some significant temp changes between an AIO and an air cooler. lower temps are always good and mean higher clocks with the way PBO works. Id rather have a quieter system which is why my CPU/GPU are water cooled. Not for it to look cool.

Caporegime
I remember getting 30% more performance out of a CPU by tweaking it, now i'm getting 5%.

Its not just CPU's, GPU's have been like this for a wile, HD 7950 you could get a solid 40% more performance out of that thing, my GTX 970 i could get 20%, GTX 1070 maybe 10%, RTX 2070S only 5%.

I don't overclock the GPU at all because its the difference between 60 and 62 FPS.

My CPU is running a +150 offset and i don't know why...... i think its because it seems like the whole world has gone a bit mad for 5Ghz on the CPU, but its just a number that by its self is utterly meaningless.

I think it was AMD who started this with the FX CPU's, the IPC was junk so they squeezed every last Mhz out of them, then Intel did the same because they were renaming the same CPU over and over again and to look like there was some progress they just kept cranking up the Mhz to the point now where they are pulling over 200 Watts in PL2 which is ridiculous. its a good chunk higher than those FX 8350's.

Soldato
ReVolting.co.uk
I remember getting 30% more performance out of a CPU by tweaking it, now i'm getting 5%.

Its not just CPU's, GPU's have been like this for a wile, HD 7950 you could get a solid 40% more performance out of that thing, my GTX 970 i could get 20%, GTX 1070 maybe 10%, RTX 2070S only 5%.

I don't overclock the GPU at all because its the difference between 60 and 62 FPS.

My CPU is running a +150 offset and i don't know why...... i think its because it seems like the whole world has gone a bit mad for 5Ghz on the CPU, but its just a number that by its self is utterly meaningless.

I think it was AMD who started this with the FX CPU's, the IPC was junk so they squeezed every last Mhz out of them, then Intel did the same because they were renaming the same CPU over and over again and to look like there was some progress they just kept cranking up the Mhz to the point now where they are pulling over 200 Watts in PL2 which is ridiculous. its a good chunk higher than those FX 8350's.

In gaming which is probably the issue for the site SL. Outside of gaming you can make huge gains from overclocking. The issue for games is the graphics system sub system. Nvidia are a great example of this issue. Nvidia require a lot of CPU horse power to see maximum performance.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
My last big overclock was my 4770K which I had rock solid at 4.7GHz. The last one I did was my R5 3600 was both undervolted and overclocked. At stock it would struggle to hit boost speed of 4.2GHz, but by messing about for ages I found you could undervolt it quite a bit and have it stay locked at 4.4GHz at all times.

Now I have my 5900X and I do not even have PBO on as it makes such a small difference in result and it is already a beast of a CPU so I did not bother. I can see myself keeping this CPU for a very long time now, like I did with my 4770K.

Man of Honour
Overclocking started to die with the death of socket 775. No more could you play around with things like FSB and see massive performance gains such as often doubling the speed of the cpu without needing LN2 or phase. Now it's just increase the multiplier and vcore for small overclocks with Intel and not really worth it on AMD when the likes of PBO or undervolting gives better results. I do have my cpu overclocked to 5Ghz but my next build will be when AMD launches it's new socket and I can't see me overclocking anymore. I haven't overclocked a gpu for years as it's simply not worth it just for a couple of fps extra. Instead I have been cooling the gpu more effectively which increases the boost clock and for longer periods. I may end up giving up overclocking altogether but I won't ever give up my watercooling.

Associate
Overclocking started to die with the death of socket 775. No more could you play around with things like FSB and see massive performance gains such as often doubling the speed of the cpu without needing LN2 or phase. Now it's just increase the multiplier and vcore for small overclocks with Intel and not really worth it on AMD when the likes of PBO or undervolting gives better results. I do have my cpu overclocked to 5Ghz but my next build will be when AMD launches it's new socket and I can't see me overclocking anymore. I haven't overclocked a gpu for years as it's simply not worth it just for a couple of fps extra. Instead I have been cooling the gpu more effectively which increases the boost clock and for longer periods. I may end up giving up overclocking altogether but I won't ever give up my watercooling.

Giving up on overclocking at this rate you will going console. :p

Caporegime
I've felt this for a while now, as someone who has been buying chips specifically for overclocking since the 90s (Celeron 300A etc) it's now at a stage on Ryzen where all I do is overclock the memory. There's so much jiggery-pokery going on with power states, various voltages, PBO, boost clocks blah blah blah nowadays that it feels like a lot of work for not much gain over out of the box boosting, with the added risk of instability if you haven't set one of 1000 options correctly.

Same here, was a different ballgame when you just had to play around with voltages, now theres so many options to prat about with (any one of which could be the cause of instability) it's just tedious.

Back
Top Bottom