• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
But why refer to them as AIB? MOBOs have nothing to do with GPUs...we don't define pc manufacturers purely by their graphics card business do we?

More similar to gpu than you think, and AIB is not a GPU only term, it’s “add in board”, so can apply to any board/card … for example Creative could be considered an AIB manufacturer for their sound cards.

in GPU terms, AIBs take the off the shelf gpu (nVidia/AMD) and add a board around it for the chip to work.

You could argue it’s kind of the same for CPUs Intel /AMD make an off the shelf chip, and AIBs make a board (motherboard) around it for the cpu chip to work.

Soldato
OP
Weird looking cpu's, first pics ive seen of them, ihs looks pretty big.

the ihs is definitely taller than previous Intel cpus, it's one of the reasons why new brackets are required if you want to reuse an existing cooler - but the good news is that it still works, you won't need a new cooler, just a different bracket

Soldato
9-12900K: €846,92 i7-12700K: €641,38 i5-12600K: €323,83 (Do note these prices include sales tax.)

Dutch Amazon has started listing prices for Alder Lake:

FAxJGM3XoAc77k6

Caporegime
Looks like the:

i5 around £300
i7 around £550
i9 around £725

Why is the i7 near double the price of the i5?

Just as a comparison:

5600X: £250
5800X: £340
5900X: £460
5950X: £660

Add DDR5 pricing on top of that, Intel's Motherboards might be quite expensive too.

I think for an i7 setup the board + DDR5 and the CPU you're looking at £1,000, Or £700 for the i5 setup.

Last edited:
Soldato
More cores probably. The i5 isn't getting any little cores, is it? 6+0 config, or is that the i3?

4 for 6+4/16 thread total I thought.

It makes the 5800x look expensive ignoring ddr5. New technology not yet available making older technology look expensive shocker, who'd have guessed. Things traditionally go backwards no?

Caporegime
More cores probably. The i5 isn't getting any little cores, is it? 6+0 config, or is that the i3?

6 + 4 so 16 Threads for the i5 apparently, with 10 real cores it will be faster than the 5600X and at least as fast if not faster than the 5800X.

AMD have some room to move pricing but it will depend on the price of DDR5 and Intel's motherboards, no matter how much people like to point at the price of the CPU's the RAM and board can end up costing more than the CPU and in this case you will need them to make up the rest of the system.

Right now you can get my system for:

Board: £140
RAM: £125
CPU: £340
Total: £605

If the i5 system ends up costing £700 it might not be all that attractive, especially if AMD chop another 40 / £50 off the CPU.

And then there is gaming performance, anyone thinking "IPC is higher so of-course gaming is going to be higher" Not mentioning any names..... JayZ2Cents Just think 'Rocket Lake'.

Caporegime
For a cheaper but still perfectly good setup.

MSI B550 A-Pro: £100
16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz: £80
5800X £340
Total: £520

That's hard to pass on.... its why the 5800X is the second or third best selling CPU.

Associate
Wow, based on these prices anyone gaming on a current gen Intel or AMD system has zero reason to upgrade especially as performance at 1440P and 4K will be almost identical. Anyone on a system older then current gen who wants to game would also be better off looking at the current group of CPU from AMD and Intel. I have seen leaked pricing for gigabyte mobo's and if true Z690 is quite a chunk more the X570 and i doubt DDR5 will be cheap. I would not be surprised if a like for like Intel Alderlake build cost double that of current Gen AMD and Intel for same gaming performance

Caporegime
Wow, based on these prices anyone gaming on a current gen Intel or AMD system has zero reason to upgrade especially as performance at 1440P and 4K will be almost identical. Anyone on a system older then current gen who wants to game would also be better off looking at the current group of CPU from AMD and Intel. I have seen leaked pricing for gigabyte mobo's and if true Z690 is quite a chunk more the X570 and i doubt DDR5 will be cheap. I would not be surprised if a like for like Intel Alderlake build cost double that of current Gen AMD and Intel for same gaming performance

Yeah, reasonably good, and i'm not talking high end here Intel Motherboards will be £200.

MSI Z570 A-Pro, the Intel equivalent of the £100 board i posted above: £170, i suspect Intel charge quite a lot more than AMD for their Chipsets.

DDR5? get a stiff drink and sit down my friend...

Soldato
Mobo+RAM prices are absolutely the biggest problem that I see with these new CPUs. Plus I'm not really convinced it will be better than v-cache Zen 3 for games. If DDR5 would be clearly better than DDR4 at launch maybe I could make the argument... but I just don't see it.

Soldato
So no chance the 12900k is gonna be around £440 then? I've read a few price leaks now and they're all over the place and some stating no fixed price, upto retailer to charge what they want... great.

Back
Top Bottom