How to test new cpu, 5800x overheat

Associate
How to you test for a defective cpu?

Got one pretty cheap 250 quid for a "New never used" 5800x and am shocked at the temps. Only way I know to test stability is using prime 95 which I know is aggressive.

However...
Idles around 30-35c (same as 3600)
Doing practically ANYTHING in windows, even opening chrome or a vid the temps shoot to around 75c then normalise (3600 wouldn't go past 50c)
Games around 78c (3600 rarely got over 50)
Prime blend 94c max (3600 was 76)
Prime small fft, instantly goes to 92c (3600 was 82 after 3 mins)

I understand the 5800x has a 138w draw (instead of 92w on the 3600) but I thought they were supposed to be more efficient?

Anyone else here got a 5800x or even 5900x who thinks those temps are high?

Cooler is a pretty descent noctua nh-c14s, with dual arctic p-14s which are better than the noctua stock fans for sure.

Associate
Run Cinebench and monitor temps and voltages with HWmonitor. You can then compare your cinebench scores with others to see if you are thermally throttling and whether the voltages are within the expected range

Look online for a guide into underclocking Ryzen3 and precision boost overdrive. You may have to fiddle with a lot of settings in the bios, Asus leave a lot of things on Auto and that can mean anything with Asus and they can be very agressive with their auto overclocking which may be enabled by default, you will want to get to a totally stock set up so you can set a baseline for your cpu. I have 5900x but fully watercooled so I idle at 35-40 and only goes upto 85C when fully loaded with Prime Blend and using 180W

You may want to remove the cooler and reseat it to see if that helps, it may just be a poor connection.

Associate
OP
Was thinking of undervolting but I mean it's a £100 cooler and under relatively light loads. Would be unable to do anything with the stock cooler I'd imagine... Clearly not right.

Will reseat and re paste when I get some and let you guys know how I get on. Asked the seller how he'd tested and simply said I could return it, and to make sure the security sticker (which was a sticky label that was attached to the top of the IHS and left loads of nasty residue when removed) is still on there for a refund, and he tested without any paste??? Wow.

Weird thing is it thermal throttles and hits 90c whilst gaming and now during prime95 doesn't seem to hit 90c now (only small runs though).

Associate
I think its normal for these CPU.. Mine does the same.. albeit on water

Idles around 30-35c (same as 3600)
Doing practically ANYTHING in windows, even opening chrome or a vid the temps shoot to around 75c then normalise (3600 wouldn't go past 50c)
Games around 78c (3600 rarely got over 50)
Prime blend 94c max (3600 was 76)
Prime small fft, instantly goes to 92

Idle 28-35c
Windows - can randomly shoot to 60c then back down - apparently normal with Ryzen 5series
Games - around 70c

I heard Prime not a realistic test, but last time i tried, temps reached in the early 80s. Same with OCCT small set.

Haven't experience thermal throttling

PS. This is on default settings.. no undervolting etc. PBO disabled

Associate
OP
I've got some liquid metal conductonaut left over from a delid 3 years ago, you guys rekkon I should use that?

I've heard it can stain but not damage the nickel plated copper, which is on both ihs and cooler plate, wondering if that'll mean I came return the cpu if it is indeed defective. My only worry

Associate
I would not use liquid metal if you think you may have to return it. You did take all those stickers off I hope. Is well worth reseating the cooler when you have normal thermal paste.

Have you done a test with cinebench and compared it with other scores from 5800x's ?

Associate
I've got some liquid metal conductonaut left over from a delid 3 years ago, you guys rekkon I should use that?

I've heard it can stain but not damage the nickel plated copper, which is on both ihs and cooler plate, wondering if that'll mean I came return the cpu if it is indeed defective. My only worry

The difference between different TIM should be minimal unless your replacing something very poor.

Decent normal paste property applied should work and won't have any return concerns.

Are your benchmark scores ok or are you losing performance to throttling?

Associate
OP
The difference between different TIM should be minimal unless your replacing something very poor.

Decent normal paste property applied should work and won't have any return concerns.

Are your benchmark scores ok or are you losing performance to throttling?

Difficult to say. Now when gaming it hits 90c, while doing prime 95 even for like 10 mins goes to around 90 but then sits around 82.

Literally sitting in the menus on Horizon, cpu barely doing anything and hovering around 90c...

Only just got the cpu so not sure what ghz it's supposed to be sitting at or boosting to

Will just have to order some kyronaut and miss out on a well needed gaming weekend.... Annoyance. Esp now got a 3080ti :(
This is why I wanted to use liquid metal as have that here. But yeah, second opinion, I agree, not worth it if I need to return it

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Also what I can't get my head around how it idles just fine. If contact or paste was ****, wouldn't idle be terrible as well?

I had a bad contact on an aio before and idle temps were through the roof, which is how I knew right away contact was no good. (I didn't do screws up in correct order basically as didn't think it mattered)

Associate
you most likely have a bad mount. even at idle a bad mount can still be ok at idle as the power usage is very low. like 10-15 watts low. you may get away with not having to re-paste. trying taking the cpu cooler off and see if the thermal paste has spread well and you have no dry/empty spots.

Associate
OP
you most likely have a bad mount. even at idle a bad mount can still be ok at idle as the power usage is very low. like 10-15 watts low. you may get away with not having to re-paste. trying taking the cpu cooler off and see if the thermal paste has spread well and you have no dry/empty spots.
Tried remount. Always a pain in a HTPC (took me 15 mins to get the fan cables back in).
Same same... But different. Only jumping to around 70c max with light windows tasks now, but that still seems insane (to me).

Paste was spread over most areas but thin in some (as mentioned I only had enough to do about 80% of what I'd usually do however still more than the standard pea sized blob in the middle most use) and corners not covered (don't think that matters).

Edit I think I've found out what's going on... Another guy in cooling thread mentioned pbo on 5000 series actually does something and overclocks high.
Noticed on hw Monitor mine has at some point gone to 4.85ghz on all cores... In windows, and all I've done is opened chrome with 30 tabs. (got to 26% usage and 91w at some point).
4.85ghz is 150mhz over stock boost specs on ocuk. Not even sure that's all core.

STRESS TESTS...
All cores stay @ 4650mhz during prime blend (4mins), 70c, 110w, same with few mins of small fft.
When it gears up after 10mins blend, 4600mhz @ 82c
Those temps aren't half bad for prime, so wtf with horizon zero dawn throttling at 90c in the damn menus when it should be doing practically nothing at 4k?i just dont get it. Prime should be murder for it.

IDLE...
I reset my min/max, 4 mins ago and most cores have again boosted at some point up to 4850, nothing is even running.

Could be looking at a poor overclocking chip. Mad it would be like this at stock though (I still class pbo as stock, perhaps I shouldnt and disable it as it should still be quicker than a 3600 without?).

Associate
OP
Have ordered some more kyronaut, hopefully comes Friday. Booked 2 days off to game... Might look to undervolt after all. I do everything on ryzen tuner is it? Ryzen master or something?

Associate
OP
I am running a Arctic 280 AIO (offset mounting), -23 curve optimizer, carbonaut thermal pad.

30 mins of Prime 95 and I am in the 70C’s.
What do you get whilst you're gaming?

My prime 95 temps aren't that bad now. Gaming ones still high.

I figured why in the menus of some games the temps got so high like 90c - it's when it's loading assets and at 100%, which is still hotter than 100% in prime95 which I still can't figure out.

Associate
What do you get whilst you're gaming?

My prime 95 temps aren't that bad now. Gaming ones still high.

I figured why in the menus of some games the temps got so high like 90c - it's when it's loading assets and at 100%, which is still hotter than 100% in prime95 which I still can't figure out.
I am gaming in the 70C’s as well.

Associate
Prime95 loads all the cores so they will be all running at approx 4.4ghz. When you are doing other tasks it may be just a single thread boosting to over 5ghz and that single core will be higher temp than when running all cores evenly.

Game engines are odd and some may primarily run on very few cores heating them up a lot or the memory may be stressed a lot with that sensor showing high temps.

If your prime temps are ok then your cooling is ok and the problem lies with the game. Sometimes in menus you can get 1000fps leading to odd temps, limit FPS and see if that makes a difference.

Associate
I did a quick google and there's a few threads knocking around about HZDawn and high CPU temps, are you running the latest version of the game ? Console ports are notoriously badly optimised and can have silly menu bugs that enable runaway framerates which will usually get patched in time.

Soldato
All 5800x run hot. Mine sits at 75/80c when gaming on air and will sit on it's 90c limit when encoding in handbrake. AMD says this is normal. I've undervolted and reduce the PPT limit, which has helped, but they're just hot MFs. The issue isn't with your cooler. Is that there isn't enough contact between the chiplet and the IHS, which makes getting the heat from the CPU to the cooler difficult.

Mine boosts to 4.95GHz single core and all core work loads sit at about 4.5GHz give or take.

Soldato
Mine games around 65c, under cinebench it maxes at 77c, 5800x is known to be the hottest of the 5000 series due to the design of the CPU.
It will quite often boost upto 4.8ghz at 1.43 volts.

I just dont worry about it and enjoy my computer.

Back
Top Bottom