Spec me a commuting umbrella

Soldato
Hi guys,

I started a new job in December '20 and I have a bit of a commute - mainly on foot. I was lucky last winter; Lockdowns, remote working and a fairly dry time to be fair - this winter is already shaping up differently, and I'm commuting more. I've sorted the coat/jacket situation and now I'm after a decent, proper (manly) umbrella...

So, any recommendations?

Soldato
I got mine for free from Mercedes when I bought my car. It's carbon fibre pattern and given the abuse its stood up to, I wouldn't doubt it's actual carbon fibre.

Soldato
OP
My main umbrella is this, best umbrella I've ever had:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/INCOGNITO-S826-BLACK-Black-Automatic-Umbrella/dp/B004IVI9EQ/

and I have a couple of these, one in the car, one at the office, they're good quality too, decent brand:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0016P6FYS/
Thanks! I'll have a look at those....
I have a £5 Dunlop jobby from Sports Direct, it's plain black and it keeps the rain off.
Not for me. Have used several of those, mainly waiting outside of venues in the rain. They were abandoned shortly afterwards - if they lasted that long!

Man of Honour
Just before I quit Black Cab driving when I retired, I had 37 umbrellas in my house.
Any good ones, intricately carved handgrips, exotic animal heads etc., I handed in to a police station, from where they were transported to the Lost Property Office at Baker Street NW1, any others ended up in my garage.
We’re down to four now, including a large one with the logo of a top investment company.

Soldato
This is the frontrunner at the moment...

Why so big? Check out the smaller fulton variants

I have a small auto umbrella, very strong, decent handle. Most have wind vents as well now.

Loads on amazon £15-£25 cost. Try and get something with a curved handle, helps balance things when on your phone etc :)

Soldato
yes if you are not on a crowded pavement, and want protection from driving rain golf size is the only way to go, single section is stronger, and easier to prop somewhere if its sodden;
often go for a walk at lunch time, and can go without a coat, with the cover from a golf size;
bright colours good if you are crossing roads etc.

Back
Top Bottom