Rocky IV: Rocky vs. Drago | The Ultimate Director’s Cut

Soldato
I just did a rewatch of rocky films last week and still enjoyed em tho i think the first is still my fav due to him being no one and trains hard and almost wins the title.

Got up to the one where his son is grown up and just sorta felt nah they shoulda stopped at the one before. Or heck maybe the one before that even as never liked the street fight one.

V F

V F

Soldato
I just did a rewatch of rocky films last week and still enjoyed em tho i think the first is still my fav due to him being no one and trains hard and almost wins the title.

Got up to the one where his son is grown up and just sorta felt nah they shoulda stopped at the one before. Or heck maybe the one before that even as never liked the street fight one.

I used to think back in the late 00s thinking it was unreal how the first was 1977 to the final of 1990. 1990 had a really nice end up on the stairs though, with the Elton John music. The Measure Of A Man.

Caporegime
Rocky, Rocky II, Creed and Creed II are probably the more realistic ones.

Rocky III and IV are where it went a bit silly, but very entertaining.

Rocky V is absolute rubbish.

'Rocky Balboa' is decent but there's no way a 60 year old would do well in a fight against a a 30 something champion.

V F

V F

Soldato
It should have stopped after Rocky V. Just like a 72 year old Terminator. It aint believable.

Soldato
I still think its amazing how he was discovered Stallone i mean, he was homeless i think on a bench and then i think he met someone and then bam straight into rocky as a first film.

Soldato
I remember reading what i said awhile ago and it stuck with me, tho maybe some other details were there i dunno i just remember the bench thing, homeless and then he wrote rocky and away he went.

V F

V F

Soldato
I think the first Rocky I saw was either 2 or 3 but it was either mid or late 90s. The first was very grungy, a dark dull grey-ish movie as you could see how low the budget was. 3 and 4 always stuck in my mind the most.

That was when I slowly started going through them all and bought the DVD collection in the 00s.

Associate
Rocky 1-4 are epic, Rocky 4 should have been the last. The rest were unnecessary, plus the movie soundtracks for 1-4 are brilliant.

By the time Rocky 3 came about, Stallone had undergone a transformation, a fair bit of work from cosmetic surgeons, which Paulie makes reference in the film, fair cop, unusual as most stars deny any work...

'The Bleeder' is a good watch as an insight into Rocky.

Man of Honour
According to Stallone on Twitter…. The robot has gone :(

Also, Rocky Balboa (film 6) is amazing, if you put aside the ridiculousness. That speech he gives to his son… pretty much makes me cry every time.

Soldato
The Guardian hate it :D - https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/rocky-iv-rocky-vs-drago-040024062.html

Too much "USA, USA, USA" and not enough meaningful changes to an already poor script apparently, plus the reviewer has a dislike of all the Rocky films except the Oscar winning first one, even calling Rocky 3 "tacky".

I’d seriously question any film reviewer that gives Rocky IV in any form anything less than a panning, and that’s speaking as someone that loves it. It’s a total cheese fest and objectively a terrible film. Doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it for what it is.

Caporegime
I still think its amazing how he was discovered Stallone i mean, he was homeless i think on a bench and then i think he met someone and then bam straight into rocky as a first film.

What struck me was how he held out to be the actor rather than just the writer and how things might have been so different otherwise in his life.

And the scumbag who took advantage of him after he sold his dog for $50 to make ends meet and then after landing the film contract the guy wanted $3000 to sell it back to him

: Is it true that, before Rocky, you were so broke that you sold your dog?

A: Yeah, I sold my bull mastiff Butkus to a little person. [Turns to his publicist] You can’t use the word ‘dwarf’ any more? Let’s just say a little person. I tied my dog up at the store with a sign that said a hundred bucks. I got $50 from this guy called Little Jimmy.

Q: This is the same dog that appeared in Rocky, right?

A: Yeah. When I sold the Rocky script, I went to see Little Jimmy and begged for the dog back. He lined up his children [Stallone mimes crying], “Oh my kids love the dog.” I said, “You’ve only had him for a f*ckin’ week!” He wanted to fight me and he said he was gonna kill me — he was a crazy little person! I couldn’t fight him — they’d arrest me — so I offered to pay double. Anyway, $3,000 and several threats later …

Q: What happened to Little Jimmy?

A: I ended up putting him in the movie. Do you remember in Rocky, when the little guy goes, “Hey, did ya win?” and I go, “What are you, deaf?” and he goes “No, I’m short.” That’s him.

he did right Rocky in 3 & half days as he was skint (had $108 to his name) and had a pregnant wife and a dog (sold it) but then he supposedly got 10% of the gross earnings from Rocky and the rest is history.

Soldato
It’s a total cheese fest and objectively a terrible film. Doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it for what it is.

Yeap, for me it's one of those "so bad its good" films which are usually B/C/Z-list quality like Sharknado etc but every now and again you get an A-list film like this one which is just so bad it's actually really enjoyable!

Back
Top Bottom