Nest cameras

Soldato
I upgraded I can't remember why exactly. I think they gave me something for free to do it. It was only £50 a year more expensive but it gave you as many cameras as you want. We then got an indoor nest IQ as a baby monitor so made sense to upgrade for that. We can review how well he sleeps during the night the following morning too.
I think there was an offer for a free Google Hub or something along those lines.

Caporegime
Well. I got the doorbell. It appears to me that it isn't actually 3 hours of recording (ie you have 3 hours of clips)

It is only 3 hours in the past!

So when talking to Google support o got this reply....

Upon checking on this, the recording is limited for 3 hours of footage. You can save a footage that you want to review unless otherwise you've subscribed to the Nest Aware subscription for an additional recording features.

I took that to be 3 hours of video. No matter how long ago it was recorded!

Soldato
Well. I got the doorbell. It appears to me that it isn't actually 3 hours of recording (ie you have 3 hours of clips)

It is only 3 hours in the past!

So when talking to Google support o got this reply....

Upon checking on this, the recording is limited for 3 hours of footage. You can save a footage that you want to review unless otherwise you've subscribed to the Nest Aware subscription for an additional recording features.

I took that to be 3 hours of video. No matter how long ago it was recorded!

I will see how this works out next week when our free subscription expires.

We are also meant I thought to be receiving Halloween ring tones today but haven't seen anything yet.

Caporegime
I will see how this works out next week when our free subscription expires.

We are also meant I thought to be receiving Halloween ring tones today but haven't seen anything yet.

I'm in one mind to send it back. 3 hours means if anything happens over night (vandals or whatever) it will be lost.

If it was 6 or 12 hours that would be fine. But 3 is not helpful.

It's a shame. The doorbell is great. It's perfect with the tall. Rather than wide aspect. It's quick to notify and has picked up everything.
I feel a bit mislead by the reply from Google '3 hours of footage' does not imply to me a only 3.hours into the past

Soldato
I'm in one mind to send it back. 3 hours means if anything happens over night (vandals or whatever) it will be lost.

If it was 6 or 12 hours that would be fine. But 3 is not helpful.

It's a shame. The doorbell is great. It's perfect with the tall. Rather than wide aspect. It's quick to notify and has picked up everything.
I feel a bit mislead by the reply from Google '3 hours of footage' does not imply to me a only 3.hours into the past

Yeah when I looked at mine when I was logged in at home.nest.com I saw the clips section and from that it seems as though you get 3 hours of storage rather than just the last 3 hours. The latter doesn't make sense if that's how it is but I'm waiting to contrast how it seems next week when our complimentary Nest Aware subscription ends.

Associate
Yeah nothing can do about fox if you're not home. They are pretty secure. But foxes are little ***** and often get in some how.

Would be more if I saw a sick hen and could message a neighbour.
The camera wouldn't need to differentiate between human and not. Would just need to not ignore animals.

This would be separate from the doorbell. Which would be a traditional doorbell.

Bonus. My chicken run is near where I keep my ebike. So having eyes on that would be worth it.
I’ve a Nest outdoor camera, I get a person alert when it’s Human and when the dog walks past I get a motion alert. You can then enable the speaker and talk via the cameras microphone, that would certainly work for the fox situation

Caporegime
I’ve a Nest outdoor camera, I get a person alert when it’s Human and when the dog walks past I get a motion alert. You can then enable the speaker and talk via the cameras microphone, that would certainly work for the fox situation

The camera has a microphone?
I never really checked because I just didn't even think it would be a feature.

That's definitely worth it.
I suspit would identify a fox as a dog

Soldato
I'm a bit surprised that the software doesn't make use of more AI to distinguish between actual mass being in a zone vs just a headlight or similar. The motion detection therefore results in huge number of false positives.

Anyone know if it will detect a person in a zone without the whole person being in that zone?

Associate
The camera has a microphone?
I never really checked because I just didn't even think it would be a feature.

That's definitely worth it.
I suspit would identify a fox as a dog
Yes you can speak/shout/scream over it. If you have one indoors you can speak and control Google or Amazon over it to

Back
Top Bottom