USB C trouble.

Associate
Hi all, i have a samsung s10+ which ive been pretty happy with. Lately, im struggling with a poor connection on the USB C connector. Strangely, but thankfully, the cable that came with it, that i use for charging the phone every single day, still works ok. But pretty much every other cable i try is very flakey at best or simply doesnt work at all. Including the usbc cable that came with the wifes pixel, and the usb adapter that came with a dell xps13, so they arent cheapo ebay jobs.

I had similar problems with microusb, but this was usually pocket fluff build up, and a clean out with a cocktail stick usually fixed it. No such luck in this case.

Its a work phone, and im due a new one soon anyway. Im holding out to see how the pixel 6 fairs, but im tempted to switch to wireless charging and maybe use a dust cap for the USB port when i change the phone.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Cheers

Associate
ive just bought a 2nd hand s10+ and the usb is a bit dodgy and i have to push it in harder ( yeh thats what she said too)
so i just use wireless charging when i can

i cracked the screen on my original s10+ and it was working fine, then one day it just flashes yellow and white, the touch still worked as the pattern would unlock my phone so i connected my pc and dragged my stuff off it
crappy thing is

replacement screen £205 + not guaranteed to fix the problem
2nd hand s10+ £125 off FB market place
simple maths really

Associate
OP
Most things arent worth fixing these days. It'll be a shame if phones go the same way. If it were a personal phone id probably have a go at replacing the usb if its on a small pcb. I dont think ill bother since its a work phone. Fancy a slight change, so im hoping the pixel 6 is good.

Last edited:
Soldato
This happened on my Note 10+, so much so that I had to start using wireless charging. In the end I bought a new USB C connector from Ali Express and fitted it myself, which wasn't too difficult if you've worked on small electronics as a hobby before. The hardest part was heating the back up and getting it off.

Soldato
I had the same issue with my S10+ recently to the point the cable fell out. Turned out there was nothing wrong with the port at all - there was just loads of gunk inside that had got right to the bottom and almost seemed to have hardened inside.

I used the small end of a small plastic cable tie and compressed air to get the bulk out but it wouldn't shift the stuff "hardened" at the bottom as the cable tie just flexed. I have a set of very tiny automotive pin removal tools which were small and hard enough to remove the gunk without touching the metal pins of the USB-C connector itself as that could obviously go very wrong....plastic dental picks are also recommended. Totally fixed now!

Failing that, new USB port at your mobile repair shop unless your electronics skills are good.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. Ive tried a cocktail stick, which has worked on microusb in the past.

Im not too bothered about this phone, its a company phone, so not technically mine to take apart and repair. I just want to avoid it happening with the next phone. Ill get a dust cover for the port, if i can find one that can be removed easily while its in the case, and use wireless charging i think.

Associate
The same thing happened on my Pixel 2XL. Really flaky connection in the end. For my 4a 5G I've purchased a magnetic charging cable, with this cable one part remains permanently
fitted to the USB C socket. I'm hoping that by reducing the number of insertions, the life of the socket will be extended...maybe?

Last edited:
Associate
got the same prob with my s8 and have done for a while. just have to push the cable in a bit more. Annoying as hell especially when you give your phone to someone else to put on charge lol

Hopefully upgrade in new year anyway

Soldato
The same thing happened on my Pixel 2XL. Really flaky connection in the end. For my 4a 5G I've purchased a magnetic charging cable, with this cable one part remains permanently
fitted to the USB C socket. I'm hoping that by reducing the number of insertions, the life of the socket will be extended...maybe?

How did this work out for you?

Associate
@Relentless81 Yes, I'm still using the magnetic cable, it's really convenient actually. Perhaps I won't find out if it's made any difference to the longevity of the port for a little while. My 4a 5G was purchased Nov 2020, no issues so far though...

Back
Top Bottom