No idea if I should upgrade or not

Associate
And if I should, what to?

So I changed out my GPU and recased at the beginning of the year, after buying a 144hz 1440p ultra wide and needing a more modern GPU than a r290 to drive (great timing on my part…)

So current specs are as follows:
5820k @ 4.5ghz
16gb @2400mhz
Msi x99 krait mobo
Powercolor 6800XT red dragon
Corsair 850rmx
Sata Ssd’s

Cpu is water cooled, GPU is using the air cooler due to panic buying without due diligence and then finding no one made a water block for it…

So I’m getting a bit of an upgrade itch and debating relative merits of a cpu, mobo and ram upgrade

Obviously the current cpu and ancillaries are a few years old and things have moved on a fair bit however I’m not sure how much I’m currently being held back and whether an upgrade would give me anything tangible

Only really gets used for gaming and RDR2 being the only game that pushes anything currently, although I’m debating getting into sim racing

So I guess my questions are

Is it worth upgrading or wait it out another 6months / year (zen 4 / ddr5 etc etc)

Or upgrade now and if so what should I be looking at?

thanks Fritzo

Associate
Slightly off topic, I thought EKWB did 6800XT waterblocks? you have a decent rig already so a custom loop would actually help in extracting performance

Associate
OP
Slightly off topic, I thought EKWB did 6800XT waterblocks? you have a decent rig already so a custom loop would actually help in extracting performance

I was checking left right and centre with all the various manufactures when I bought it and no one did a specific block

ekwb do a block for the Red Devil but nothing compatible with the red dragon not sure what the differences are and alphacool wanted me to take a pic of the PCB which obviously wasn’t going to happen

thinks may have changed now but the reason for the recase was due to thermals and going from an evolve x to an o11D seems to have solved it the GPU never goes above 85 on the air cooler so inclined to just live with it

Soldato
I doubt you will have much bottleneck especially with an AMD card which has less overhead than Nvidia so would probably hold on another year for Zen 4 / raptor lake and by that time DDR5 should have matured somewhat.

Soldato
like others have said I would hold on and do a big Alder Lake refresh ... IF ( and its a big IF) the 10 core 12600k ships for £300 ish, that will be a big boost from your venerable 5820K. Looks like the 16 core 12900K will be stupid money.

Permabanned

So I changed out my GPU and recased at the beginning of the year, after buying a 144hz 1440p ultra wide and needing a more modern GPU than a r290 to drive (great timing on my part…)

5820k @ 4.5ghz
16gb @2400mhz
Msi x99 krait mobo
Corsair 850rmx
Sata Ssd’s

Cpu is water cooled, GPU is using the air cooler due to panic buying without due diligence and then finding no one made a water block for it…

So I’m getting a bit of an upgrade itch and debating relative merits of a cpu, mobo and ram upgrade

Obviously the current cpu and ancillaries are a few years old and things have moved on a fair bit however I’m not sure how much I’m currently being held back and whether an upgrade would give me anything tangible

Only really gets used for gaming and RDR2 being the only game that pushes anything currently, although I’m debating getting into sim racing

Is it worth upgrading or wait it out another 6months / year (zen 4 / ddr5 etc etc)

thanks Fritzo

Core i7-5820K is an old CPU.
Upgrade to Ryzen 9 5900X or wait two-three weeks for the new 12th gen Core i9 12... something.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £994.41 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in same boat, 5820k @4.5 with a 2070 Super. Also have the upgrade itch but I've decided to wait a little while longer since the CPU seems to handle my needs just fine.
That might change on the release of BF2042 though :)

Associate
Associate
OP
Craig - good find, thanks for that

all - guess I’ll wait which always seems to be what happens whenever I get an upgrade itch lol

Soldato

5820k @ 4.5ghz
16gb @2400mhz
Msi x99 krait mobo
Corsair 850rmx
Sata Ssd’s

thanks Fritzo

Plenty of chips will give you a large boost but I think you have the answer.

Get the game and see how the system holds out.

Back
Top Bottom