Energy Suppliers

Man of Honour
Just did a proper quote and it’s come out for £150 for the year. 50 days free energy and a boiler service works out more than the £150 so seems like a no brainier considering I get the insurance with it.

Soldato
Just a question for our elderly neighbours....
I have not followed much of this, we are with EDF and tied into a tariff until July next year, but our elderly neighbours seem to be moving to BG. They were with a company who is now gone out of business and they informed them that they will move to British Gas. They took meter readings, and I helped with that and photo'd them a copy on a print out. They are getting pretty stressed about this, not hearing anything as yet from BG to welcome them as a new customer as yet.
They had even tried to register with BG themselves this morning, with no luck.

From chatting with them this morning I suggested they just wait and understand how busy BG will be with the amount of people moving to them and until they contact you do nothing in regards to any direct debit mandates or trying to initialise anything themselves. Is that reasonable advice for them or is there anything else I could do to help them..?

Thanks for any advice.

Soldato
@Slam62 @dLockers thanks, that is what I thought would be most reasonable to do considering the numbers of people in this situation.
I have told them that they will not lose their supply and to just sit and hold it out.
As long as that is the appropriate thing to be advising them for now I'll pop round again this afternoon just to reinforce that and try and reduce their anxiety a little.

thanks again for your replies.

Associate
@Slam62 @dLockers thanks, that is what I thought would be most reasonable to do considering the numbers of people in this situation.
I have told them that they will not lose their supply and to just sit and hold it out.
As long as that is the appropriate thing to be advising them for now I'll pop round again this afternoon just to reinforce that and try and reduce their anxiety a little.

thanks again for your replies.

I would let them know what they can expect to have to pay more than they where paying before. If you can find out their previous supplier and their new supplier and know their usage or unit rates then you might be able to work out a ball park figure for them to budget any increase for. I have a feeling this is going to come as a shock to a number of older people that already suffer through the winter.

Soldato
Just a question for our elderly neighbours....
I have not followed much of this, we are with EDF and tied into a tariff until July next year, but our elderly neighbours seem to be moving to BG. They were with a company who is now gone out of business and they informed them that they will move to British Gas. They took meter readings, and I helped with that and photo'd them a copy on a print out. They are getting pretty stressed about this, not hearing anything as yet from BG to welcome them as a new customer as yet.
They had even tried to register with BG themselves this morning, with no luck.

From chatting with them this morning I suggested they just wait and understand how busy BG will be with the amount of people moving to them and until they contact you do nothing in regards to any direct debit mandates or trying to initialise anything themselves. Is that reasonable advice for them or is there anything else I could do to help them..?

Thanks for any advice.

Just tell them to sit tight and not worry, worst thing they could try and do now is move the supply themselves. SOLR process is a bit long so it will take time to get evrrything sorted but other than taking readings there is nothing else they need to do. It takes time plus with the number of customers being moved doesn't help.

Reassure them they wont get cut off and any credit is safe and not to cancel and direct debits. If they were in debt with the old supplier, again dont worry it can be sorted out with the new supplier and because they were moved as part of thr SOLR, most suppliers are a bit more understanding and forgiving with debt arrangements.

Source: work for one of the big 5

Edit: as someone else pointed out tell then to expect thr bills to go up as the old supplier was selling them gas and elec at a loss so naturally itll increase when they move. Query them if they get or are eligible for warm home discount

Caporegime
It'll take weeks to be officially welcomed by the SoLR, I haven't heard from EDF for a couple of weeks now and my electricity still shows as being with Utility Point when I check on the DNO's website.

Soldato
@Zenduri @PiKe @MissChief

Thanks, great info there.
My neighbours are not in the best of health - both having long term and serious health conditions. When we have done some shopping for them today we can pop round and reassure them with the advice offered, many thanks again for what you have written.
They do like their house warm, possibly due to age and their overall health. They had concerns over being able to meet their bills, and being cut off due to this situation. I understand that they will not be cut off but it is just about reaffirming that and making sure that I have the most appropriate advice to offer them. They are also aware of the rise in utility prices. I'll see what I can find out about the warm home discount, and if they already had this.

BG only seem to be communicating by text and email, this is the second email I had from them as I am moving as well due to peoples energy going pop. I am sure any other supplier moving across would be getting basically the same email.

We recently contacted you to let you know that People's Energy has stopped trading and Ofgem, the industry regulator, has appointed us to take over the supply of gas and electricity to your home.

We realise that this may be an unsettling time - we are here to help and will get everything up-and-running for you.

As you must have lots of questions, we've set up an FAQ page for you below.

What you'll need to do
  • It's a really good idea to submit a meter reading to People's Energy on their website www.peoplesenergy.co.uk - this will make sure that your bill isn't based on estimated readings. We'll ask you for a meter reading too - but not until we've got your new British Gas account set up. In the meantime, please keep a note of your readings.
  • If you previously paid by Direct Debit, please don't cancel it. We'll aim to transfer your Direct Debit details over from People's Energy and set one up automatically. If that doesn't work, we'll let you know how to create one with us yourself.
  • Find your most recent People's Energy statement and if you are in credit, keep it in a safe place. If you don't have a statement, a screenshot of your account balance will work well instead.
What happens next
Please don't contact us yet. Over the next two weeks, we’ll be transferring your details over to British Gas and setting up your new account. We're setting you up on The People's Tariff, the details are below.

We’ll shortly be sending out your Contract Pack which include details about your tariff and the rates you’ll pay for your energy. We'll then be in touch again to let you know when your account is fully set up.

If you have an outstanding credit with People's Energy this will be transferred onto your new British Gas account – in our experience this can take a while, but we’ll keep you updated along the way.

We’re setting you up on The Peoples tariff
We’ve created a new tariff for our People's Energy customers. It's priced in line with the Ofgem energy price cap and it doesn’t have an exit fee.

Your price compared with your People's Energy energy tariff may go up, but because it already covers the industry price cap, you don’t need to worry about your tariff changing prices again until next year. If you'd like to find out the unit rates and standing charge please visit our FAQ page, shown below.

We really hope you choose to stay with us - but if you’re thinking about switching away from British Gas it’s recommended you wait until your account is fully set up so any credit you are owed from People's Energy can get to you quicker.

Edit to add vimes as this may help him

@Vimes

Soldato
Announcement at 2:30pm from Ofgem regarding who will be the SOLR for Symbio, Igloo and Enstroga

All going to the same supplier. Some of you may be able to figure out who this is considering im posting this before it announced ;)

Soldato
@Mercenary Keyboard Warrior Many thanks for that. Remembering what he mentioned this morning he did say they were with People's Energy prior to the up and coming change.
When we have time this afternoon, taking the information printed that you included, I can go through what they have received already and hopefully reassure them that to sit tight, apart from the meter readings needed, is the best option right now.
I did mention to them already not to cancel the existing DD.

Soldato
Just did a proper quote and it’s come out for £150 for the year. 50 days free energy and a boiler service works out more than the £150 so seems like a no brainier considering I get the insurance with it.
have you checked boiler qualifies for insurance - leastaways parents potential BG free insurance didn't cover a ~20yr old boiler .

Announcement at 2:30pm from Ofgem regarding who will be the SOLR for Symbio, Igloo and Enstroga
they don't seem to be transparent on what the bidding process is for SOLR identification / contract
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/master-publications-library

Soldato
they don't seem to be transparent on what the bidding process is for SOLR identification / contract
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/master-publications-library

The cliff notes answer for this is a) do you have the systems and resources to cope with the new customers b) can you withstand the financial burdon this will bring.

general rule for SOLR is it will most likely be be EON, EDF or British gas, with some exceptions

Soldato
general rule for SOLR is it will most likely be be EON, EDF or British gas, with some exceptions

a thread I read earlier says SOLR applicants can claim for losses anyway so they have little to loose ... but it would be nice to see ofgens open thought process nonetheless

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.co...-avro-energy-to-provide-financial-information
Ofgem can require any supplier to act as a SoLR. We can all take comfort from the fact that a claim will be lodged against Ofgem for every penny that is spent by the appointed SoLR in meeting this legal obligation.
When the energy companies are bidding against each other for the spoils they tend to offer to absorb the costs, but if they have had a problem they didn't want, dumped on them, then there is little reason not to claim everything they can...

Back
Top Bottom