*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Underboss
Associate
There should be some photos of peoples straps in the accessories thread. He prints them out with a few different mounts though.
I've had a look and could probably scale the images to get the info I want but I thought I'd ask first just to confirm numbers. I'm planning on having a go at making my own seeing as he has stopped making them, pretty sure he's using this strap.
£3.41 | Headgear HG-4/ for welding helmet /welding mask/auto-darkening welding helmet
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vr3eM8

The only bits I'm interested in is the length/thickness of the arms, the size of the slot, and how he's attached the battery mount to the rear pad adjust.

Just gives me something to work with until the strap arrives.

Soldato
Anyone with a mvhstudios pro strap and some free time able to help me out by taking a couple of measurements and a photo of the battery mount? I'd be most grateful.

Hey Gitbags, I have the MVH studios strap with the universal Mount. So there isn't anything that the battery clips into like the other versions.

Will those measurements be any good to you?

Soldato
If you've got the time, those would be ideal.
Cheers.

What measurements do you want? It's 4 inches wide by 2 and 3/4 inches tall. The plastic is 1/8th of an inch thick. On the bottom of the mount is a curved piece that the battery can rest on. It joins to the section that contains the ratchet turn wheel.

But, I am confused about what measurements you need exactly? The size of the mount will depend on what size battery you are planning to use, if you want to make it a clip in one. If you don't want to make it a clip in one, then it doesn't really matter, as long as you have a place to rest the battery on and somewhere to either attach velcro straps to.

Soldato
What measurements do you want? It's 4 inches wide by 2 and 3/4 inches tall. The plastic is 1/8th of an inch thick. On the bottom of the mount is a curved piece that the battery can rest on. It joins to the section that contains the ratchet turn wheel.

But, I am confused about what measurements you need exactly? The size of the mount will depend on what size battery you are planning to use, if you want to make it a clip in one. If you don't want to make it a clip in one, then it doesn't really matter, as long as you have a place to rest the battery on and somewhere to either attach velcro straps to.

If you look at the product page he posted, you can see what the headstrap originally was, and see what adjustments the mvhstudios guy printed off to add to it. I think it's those additions he wants to know about.

Soldato
If you look at the product page he posted, you can see what the headstrap originally was, and see what adjustments the mvhstudios guy printed off to add to it. I think it's those additions he wants to know about.

Ah, ok, I think MVH made a complete custom unit for the battery mount and the ratchet section made of stronger material

Associate

These are the parts I wanted the measurements of, unseul was spot on, just gives me something to go on so I can begin drawing them. https://imgur.com/a/gEpeZwe

As for the battery I'm curious how he actually secured it to the ratchet knob, most of the photos I've seen are side on, or while being worn or out of focus. I'm capable of designing and printing a solution but until the strap arrives I'm just guessing.

Cheers for the help so far.

Soldato
These are the parts I wanted the measurements of, unseul was spot on, just gives me something to go on so I can begin drawing them. https://imgur.com/a/gEpeZwe

Those measurements. The arms are 6 and 1/4 inches long and 1 and 1/4 inches wide.

As for the battery I'm curious how he actually secured it to the ratchet knob, most of the photos I've seen are side on, or while being worn or out of focus. I'm capable of designing and printing a solution but until the strap arrives I'm just guessing.

Here are some pictures of the battery holder. Will explain after.

Picture 1:

SfjC0SA.jpg

Picture 2:
gg5G5Xn.jpg

Picture 3:

LdQwxJ0.jpg

Sorry about all the stuff in the way of getting a good photo. But, it's a pain getting it put back together and I have no cable ties at the moment.

The battery mount (what the two bolts are attached to) and the lined plastic going around the ratchet appears to be all one. But, I don't think it is. In Picture two, the small rectangle hole above the Ratchet looks like one of those push in clip on latches, like you would see on a laptop. Where you push a screwdriver in and it pops the latch open. I don't know what the correct term is.

That whole section, the battery mount and the enclosure going around the Ratchet is custom made.
The bit that goes around the Ratchet. The black plastic with all the lines. Is shaped like this from the side. Warning crude drawing ahead!! :p

V0bnRc0.jpg

IF you have any more questions you wanted some more bad answers to :p Just let me know. :)

SfjC0SA.jpg

Soldato
Oculus down tonight. The downside of all Facebook services being linked. On the bright side last time this happened oculus gave all accounts £15 credit. That would go down nicely ;)

Associate
No that is absolutely perfect, I thought it was a 2 part assembly going by the layer lines but couldn't quite see the join.

Be a lot bloody easier if he kept selling them tho :rolleyes::D
If you send me your PayPal in trust, I'll chuck you a couple of quid for a pint as a thank you.

Soldato
No that is absolutely perfect, I thought it was a 2 part assembly going by the layer lines but couldn't quite see the join.

Be a lot bloody easier if he kept selling them tho :rolleyes::D
If you send me your PayPal in trust, I'll chuck you a couple of quid for a pint as a thank you.

The join is just underneath the curved bit, as far as I can make out.

I am as blind as a bat!! :cry:

The guy that used to make them is a very nice guy. If you reached out to him, I am sure he would help you out with advice to make your own.

And no worries, happy to help out in any way I can. :)

Associate
Oculus down tonight. The downside of all Facebook services being linked. On the bright side last time this happened oculus gave all accounts £15 credit. That would go down nicely ;)
I wasn't on vr that night, I assume you could access your game library if you went offline? You could still use it with airlink/link on PC right?

Soldato
I wasn't on vr that night, I assume you could access your game library if you went offline? You could still use it with airlink/link on PC right?

I was playing over virtual desktop with no issue. Struggled to go into rec room as it uses my oculus login, but there was a manual option (I didn't bother trying to remember my password though).

Associate
I was playing over virtual desktop with no issue. Struggled to go into rec room as it uses my oculus login, but there was a manual option (I didn't bother trying to remember my password though).
Yeah didn't think it would have too much issue particularly if you also use the quest as a pc headset

Soldato
Yeah didn't think it would have too much issue particularly if you also use the quest as a pc headset

Depends if your Quest has been turned off - on turning mine on during the outage resulted in no apps being available. I imagine if your quest is just in standby then that'd be ok, but mine obviously failed some DRM check on boot.

Underboss
When i turned my Quest 2 on, "explore" comes up, but that was "trying" to load..

went to apps (my library no problem) but VD failed to find me PC !!

apparently airlink didn't work either (as its facebook?)

i had to resort to using a cable

Back
Top Bottom