• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 970 to what?

Soldato
Hi all, been out of pc gaming for several years now and I'm still running my old rig which all in all, is still pretty solid for my needs however - I recently sold my 2x 4k screens and picked up one of those mental looking 49" ultrawides. Not sure it was the best move but my 4k screens are now both sold and gone so looks like I'm stuck with it.

I've dropped resolution moving away from the 4k screens and immediately noticed that text isn't as sharp or clear on this, quite annoying tbh. The colours are definitely better and I've tried a game and it looks great, but in order to actually get more out of this monitor I'm tempted to get back into pc gaming a little.

I have no intention of upgrading my entire PC and I know I'll be bottlenecked with my cpu/ram etc but what would see a noticeable performance increase from my current gtx 970? I haven't upgraded for over 5-6 years - I'm sure I got the 970 soon after it launched but I don't think it will quite cut it at 5120x1440@100hz? I only tried UT3 and that ran quite well but I'd appreciate your thoughts as I've not been following the gfx card scene for many years so I've no idea what's what these days.

Spec in sig btw, thanks.

Soldato
At that resolution I'd be looking at, at least a 3070 or 6700 XT.
Ideally a better card if you can manage.

It's a strange time though so I would say if you can't find one of these just grab whatever you can at a reasonable price.
The MM could be your friend here.

Soldato
OP
Used MM plenty of times over the years and never had an issue so I'll keep an eye out. I didn't state a budget but around £200-250 max really. Could I get £100 back for my 970 or is that optimistic?

Soldato
Used MM plenty of times over the years and never had an issue so I'll keep an eye out. I didn't state a budget but around £200-250 max really. Could I get £100 back for my 970 or is that optimistic?

Pre-covid they were going for £75-£90 now though you probably get £100.

Probably look at a 1660/ti unless you can magically get a 6600xt cheaply. No point spending loads with a 4670k CPU you would be better off sticking cheap then down the line if you think its worth it upgrade the whole system/buy a new pre-built one.

Associate
I was in almost exactly the same spot last month with gtx970 and a 4790k. Trouble is, for less than £300, you'll struggle to find any sort of meaningful upgrade, let alone something that will power that resolution comfortably. I reluctantly went for the 6700xt for £700, though if the 3060ti had been £500 rather than £650, I probably would have gone for that instead.

Back
Top Bottom