*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Curious I tried the normal Win11 setup (created the USB bootable image using the Media Creation Tool) without proceeding any further. Looks like you can accept the warning that your CPU is unsupported (assuming everything else is supported like TPM/Secure Boot etc). It does say you are then not entitled to updates, but I would think you will still get them surely, just that because the CPU is unsupported, you're not "entitled" o them in the definition context?

I'll wait until the 5th before using the MCT again and letting it get the final version of Win11 then do the upgrade assuming there is a final build different to this current release channel build of course.

dSeESUg.jpg

qtlZnji.jpg

Man of Honour
It does say you are then not entitled to updates, but I would think you will still get them surely

Worst comes to worst I assume you can just create a newer installation media and do an update install over the top keeping all your files and programs, etc. I actually like the idea of not getting updates :| it would be hugely better than the automatic updates experience :(

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hmm that is a point. It takes minutes to download a new rollout update view the MCT and then start the install. A refreshing change going back to the old skool days of manually hand holding updates before Windows Updates became a forced thing lol.

Alright I think I will do just this after tomorrow. I've read up enough now to know that things should run smoothly during the upgrade. I've also found a StartIsBack update that restores Win7 style start menu and icon layout whilst still keeping the new theme and Explorer features so that's cool.

Also for many, "Core Isolation" is on by default when it should not be. This saps up to 25% framerate in some games, so if fps is down, may be worth checking this feature. The option adds a bit more security for code execution used by some malware, something to do with VBS but it's not something most of us have any need for anyway. A big sacrifice losing that much system performance for the wider majority when only the tiny fragment of users actually need it enabled. It's been off on my WIn10 as standard since day 1.

Such a silly thing, the 6700K is a Skylake 7th CPU and the hardware set of security features Win11 uses is supported by CPUs that are 7th gen and up so why is Skylake not on the supported list boggles the mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just installed the latest insider preview beta on a dell optiplex 330 with a xeon E5450 c2q.

Used the 11 iso files but swapped out the sources folder for a win 10 sources folder, but kept the win 11 'install.wim' file in it. No TPM or secure boot check issues.

Thank you.

I will have to try this.
Is it a simple matter of deleting and replacing the sources folder?

Soldato
Thank you.

I will have to try this.
Is it a simple matter of deleting and replacing the sources folder?

Basically, yes. Save the 11 install.wim, delete the 11 source folder, paste 10 source folder, delete 10 install.esd and replace it with the saved 11 install.wim.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm that is a point. It takes minutes to download a new rollout update view the MCT and then start the install. A refreshing change going back to the old skool days of manually hand holding updates before Windows Updates became a forced thing lol.

Alright I think I will do just this after tomorrow. I've read up enough now to know that things should run smoothly during the upgrade. I've also found a StartIsBack update that restores Win7 style start menu and icon layout whilst still keeping the new theme and Explorer features so that's cool.

Also for many, "Core Isolation" is on by default when it should not be. This saps up to 25% framerate in some games, so if fps is down, may be worth checking this feature. The option adds a bit more security for code execution used by some malware, something to do with VBS but it's not something most of us have any need for anyway. A big sacrifice losing that much system performance for the wider majority when only the tiny fragment of users actually need it enabled. It's been off on my WIn10 as standard since day 1.

Such a silly thing, the 6700K is a Skylake 7th CPU and the hardware set of security features Win11 uses is supported by CPUs that are 7th gen and up so why is Skylake not on the supported list boggles the mind.

We're is this mate ?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
We're is this mate ?

The media creation tool? It's the Github one I linked previous: https://gist.github.com/AveYo/c74dc774a8fb81a332b5d65613187b15

Download the zip, run the script and select Windows 11 to create the USB media then plug in a USB stick to get it all done. It downloads and sets p Windows 11 latest version from MS and you can then do an inplace upgrade that way. I just finished and am back up and running without a hitch.

Initial thoughts are that the new start menu is RUBBISH. But is something I may well have to get used to now rather than use the patched dlls which MS could then unpatch with a monthly patch rollout so I cba with that faff. I also used regedit to put the taskbar at the top which is fine but when you click the start button the start menu appears from the bottom of the screen as it thinks the taskbar is there still. You cannot move the taskbar to either side.

Windows update does work I am happy to say, already had a couple of updates that wanted a restart. The new layout of various things wil take some getting used to and the system wide dark theme is incomplete as various dialogues etc are still white.

As it stands, the first hour experience of Windows 11 has been fine, no showtopping issues

But it's pretty obvious the UX/Theme and other features are rather incomplete. At least allow us to customise the new start menu with groups and stuff like we could on 10...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
This is the build info that About shows for me currently, installed via the media creation tool, no other patches/mods. IIRC this is the build that will hit release tomorrow. If not then I'll rerun MCT again and update on top. Nothing anywhere on this says it's a preview or beta or anything. As far as I can see this is final.

0binfOl.jpg

I've already got used to the start menu which is fine, the slightly longer delay when right clicking folders and files before the context menu appears is annoying though. There must be a regedit entry for that...

Soldato
Will it be free to upgrade from win10? Because if so, I might give it another try and see if I can tweak the taskbar to get it sort of working like windows 10. Everything else seems tobe working hardware and software wise, I just hate that they have taken most features away from the taskbar.

Don
This is the build info that About shows for me currently, installed via the media creation tool, no other patches/mods. IIRC this is the build that will hit release tomorrow. If not then I'll rerun MCT again and update on top. Nothing anywhere on this says it's a preview or beta or anything. As far as I can see this is final.

Afaik 22000.194 was already confirmed to be what was shipping to OEM's as the final build.

I've already got used to the start menu which is fine, the slightly longer delay when right clicking folders and files before the context menu appears is annoying though. There must be a regedit entry for that...

I wouldn't count on it - pretty sure the delay is due to the new taskbar and right click menu being a botch that sits "on top" of the existing menu functionality

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah I just noticed that, the old context menu is still there and opens much quicker than the new one when you tap it. It's not something many would notice I think outside the realms of power users and people who notice those little things lol. I suppose it is what it is. I read just now that MS have locked down the new context menu and no third party apps can put stuff there to clutter it up, I bet that has something to do with it as well.

I'll have a play with the various taskbar mods at some point I guess, just need something that is productive going forwards.

Back
Top Bottom