Energy Suppliers

Soldato
/\/\/\ Just confirmed that by checking. I'll sit tight & wait for them to contact me. What I dont want is them to demand they fit a Smart meter. I work weekdays, so I'd lose a days pay plus travelling for the fitters. If they don't turn up on the arranged day I will not be happy.

Soldato
/\/\/\ Just confirmed that by checking. I'll sit tight & wait for them to contact me. What I dont want is them to demand they fit a Smart meter. I work weekdays, so I'd lose a days pay plus travelling for the fitters. If they don't turn up on the arranged day I will not be happy.

Although EonNext tarrif advise you need to have a smart meter this isnt being enforced at the moment and no deadline for when it will be enforced

Soldato
Although EonNext tarrif advise you need to have a smart meter this isnt being enforced at the moment and no deadline for when it will be enforced

There's a British Gas one on there at the moment, what I don't understand is when you change suppliers why do they want to fit their own. Didn't they put their heads together and say 'lets install ones all suppliers can read?' :confused:

Soldato
There's a British Gas one on there at the moment, what I don't understand is when you change suppliers why do they want to fit their own. Didn't they put their heads together and say 'lets install ones all suppliers can read?' :confused:
Originally no they didn't, the government said Install smart meters, so each supplier did what was in their interests. As of March 2018 all suppliers have to install SMETS2 meters and they are interchangable with all suppliers as they are centrally controlled (data only) by a government agency (DCC).

I've finally had my switching pack from BG. Its as expected set at the cap limit, but lasts until June 2022.
Thats about as good as it gets right now I guess.

I suspect if the prices start to fall then summer next year may be a good time to switch, we will see.

I did cancel my DD, I was already over a month in credit and another DD was due just after Peoples energy went bust. I am still just in credit now, so will be looking to get into my account tomorrow and trigger the DD setup from within.
Although as there is no discount for paying by DD on the capped tariff I am not sure there is anyway they can benefit nor penalise me for insisting on cheque.

If prices remain hig by that point, I will seriously consider getting some solar I think.
I will also need a serious think about gas boilers. Mine is around 15 years old, with no new ones after 2023 then it may be worth getting a new one installed late 22 or so, that way I am not forced to switch quickly.
I find this no new gas boilers that early quite interesting since the alternatives are not really financially viable yet imo.

Associate
I will also need a serious think about gas boilers. Mine is around 15 years old, with no new ones after 2023 then it may be worth getting a new one installed late 22 or so, that way I am not forced to switch quickly.
I find this no new gas boilers that early quite interesting since the alternatives are not really financially viable yet imo.

2023 only applies to new-build properties. Currently no date for existing installations and I expect it to be many years before there is one.

Soldato
The other key difference is that the alternatives are much more financially viable in a new build compared to retrofitting.

Getting the machine in to drill bore holes for GSHP for an entire estate that doesn’t have gardens, fences etc is so much cheaper than just putting in one. The same goes for laying the under floor heating is an order of magnitude cheaper when there isn’t a floor installed etc.

Soldato
I've finally had my switching pack from BG. Its as expected set at the cap limit, but lasts until June 2022.
Thats about as good as it gets right now I guess.

I suspect if the prices start to fall then summer next year may be a good time to switch, we will see.

I did cancel my DD, I was already over a month in credit and another DD was due just after Peoples energy went bust. I am still just in credit now, so will be looking to get into my account tomorrow and trigger the DD setup from within.
Although as there is no discount for paying by DD on the capped tariff I am not sure there is anyway they can benefit nor penalise me for insisting on cheque.

If prices remain hig by that point, I will seriously consider getting some solar I think.

We are due to remortgage next year, seriously considering taking some extra equity out the house to install solar/battery.

I've never really taken any real notice of our electricity usage but since changing to Octopus Go in September and having the real use of smart meter I'm monitoring things closely and making a real effort to use the washing machine/dishwasher/dryer in the off peak hours.

I'm thinking that by having battery I would be able to really benefit from the off peak electric storing it over night.

Already since I joined octopus they have increased their day tarriff by £0.08kwh, this would increase our electric bill by atleast £800 a year on our old electric use habit.

A quick look and an additional borrowing of £10k on our mortgage is around £40 additional per month, pretty sure I can offset this with even the latest energy increases.

Soldato
I've never really taken any real notice of our electricity usage but since changing to Octopus Go in September and having the real use of smart meter I'm monitoring things closely and making a real effort to use the washing machine/dishwasher/dryer in the off peak hours.

Saving money is great and all but remember those appliances are some of the main causes of house fires. Good idea to have a smoke / heat alarm in the room if you are consistently leaving those running at night (well good idea to have one anyway).

Soldato
Saving money is great and all but remember those appliances are some of the main causes of house fires. Good idea to have a smoke / heat alarm in the room if you are consistently leaving those running at night (well good idea to have one anyway).

Yeah house is rigged with these anyway so no issues there.

The drier is fairly new so has all the additional safety features installed to help prevent these.

Risks are low and hopefully never need to be woken by the alarms!

Caporegime
I know I haven’t been billed by Octopus yet but in a couple of days time I’ll be £250 in credit. It’ll be interesting to see how much the first bill will be but that seems excessive to me.

Back
Top Bottom