What to wear for an interview on Teams

Soldato
Will a shirt and trousers be ok or shall i got the suit out?

any other things that are worth noting for a video based interview? Never had one before so or will be rather novel.

Caporegime
I had an interview on teams last year. Just wore a shirt and tie.

One thing I did was make sure I could connect in advance and everything was okay with mic and camera so you are not messing about 5 minutes before your interview is about to begin.

Associate
Depends on the organisation but I've interviewed a lot this year over video call and thought nothing of people in smart casual. I have to admit my dress should probably have been smarter but it's easy to forget to make an effort when making just another video call in the day.

I found people fully dressed in a suit looked odd.

Caporegime
I wore a suit and tie for my last interview, which was on Teams. I even wore the trousers to get in the mood and in case I had to stand up for any reason.

I got the job but they did day I was very corporate in my feedback. Not sure if that was a good thing!

Tea Drinker
Don
Shirt and tie just a shirt, depends on the interview and what it's for.

As Adam says above make sure everything is working, you can log into the teams call before and trial it out. No stoopid backgrounds or filters, find a plain vanilla wall, no bookcases with the anarchists cookbook on it etc

Soldato
OP
Shirt and tie just a shirt, depends on the interview and what it's for.

As Adam says above make sure everything is working, you can log into the teams call before and trial it out. No stoopid backgrounds or filters, find a plain vanilla wall, no bookcases with the anarchists cookbook on it etc

how about blurring the background?

Soldato
I just wore what i would normally wear for an interview.

Since you care about what you are wearing i assume you will have a camera on. Check where you plan on positioning the camera. Will it have glare from a window? Is your face visible? Is there anything you want to hide from camera view?

Make sure the software you are using for the meeting (teams, zoom etc..) is setup and ready. If possible do a sound and mic check just before the interview. You don't want to find the windows or whatever has changed your settings from the previous night.

Have everything you will need at arms reach.

I have a multi monitor setup so i had the job role and my CV opened up on my screen for reference purposes.

Look at the camera, so it gives the impression that you are paying attention.

I have found that unless they are strict with time keeping these can sometimes go on for slightly longer than normal.

To cover anything i may have missed treat it like your are actually on location. So silent anything that can cause distractions, make sure the room is quiet, etc..

Associate
I had a couple recently and just had shirt and tie, then shorts or tracksuit. If they ask to see below the waist it's a trick don't do it :eek::D

I also used a tablet for the interview and had notes etc on the pc screen behind it, comes in very useful

Caporegime
Don't worry about your attire, when on Zoom calls it's essential that you:
  • Start talking on mute
  • Get off mute and then interrupt the other person
  • Have loud noises playing randomly in the background (builders are great for this)
  • Have a 'humorous' background (try to make it offensive if possible)
  • Sit 3 inches from the screen so you are both out of focus and a terrifying monster.
  • Turn your camera off for approximately 5 minutes, without explanation, then back on again.
  • Start talking on mute again.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom