What to wear for an interview on Teams

Soldato
Don't worry about your attire, when on Zoom calls it's essential that you:
  • Start talking on mute
  • Get off mute and then interrupt the other person
  • Have loud noises playing randomly in the background (builders are great for this)
  • Have a 'humorous' background (try to make it offensive if possible)
  • Sit 3 inches from the screen so you are both out of focus and a terrifying monster.
  • Turn your camera off for approximately 5 minutes, without explanation, then back on again.
  • Start talking on mute again.
Good luck!
Also go on mute and unmute a few seconds later - basically indicating the duration of your fart.

Caporegime
I think the only question is tie/no tie.

Everything else is common sense.
Tbh if a company looked down on you for either I'd pro or want to work for them.

Soldato
I got my current job over MS Teams, and wore a shirt with a lambswool jumper over the top. No tie (haven't worn a tie for work in a decade).

Had a few professional (Accountant) interviews in the same attire. Always seemed appropriate.

Associate
I wore a suit and tie for my last interview, which was on Teams. I even wore the trousers to get in the mood and in case I had to stand up for any reason.

I got the job but they did day I was very corporate in my feedback. Not sure if that was a good thing!

Interview the other day and secured a promotion/job. Wore a suit, I did feel overdressed but was complimented - very curious if others wore similar! I researched the expectation beforehand and for my organisation, its treat an interview as if it was in person, same attire. I would guess last year it was relaxed given everyone was thrown into working from home, but this year, its been tightened up.

It's a fine line and who you are, could be seen as old fashioned or corporate, its a double edged sword. I hedged my bets on being over dressed.

To be fair, the people who interviewed me were dressed formally, not like they had rocked up in t-shirt, so it was a relief. It depends on the industry and job you are going for.

Associate
I work a lot over teams and have have interviewed many people over it and I've never worried about their attire - the convenience for both interviewer and interviewee far outstrip the formality for me. That's not what many may think however, so its best to stay safe - business casual.

What I feel is more important is the camera angle. Many people don't realise a bad camera angle can absorb a lot of body language. We talk a lot with our body language (far more than most think) so try, if you're comfortable, to show your upper body/arms as they communicate a huge amount of emotion. It also shows you're not fiddling with other things and have invested your full attention. Good luck :)

Soldato
As a few in here, i got my current job over teams and have had a few other interviews like that too.

I think with being at home a lot of people are more relaxed, and it would depend on the job. One interview i had was for a professional training role and so i wore a white shirt with no tie. I then try and make a note of what the other people are wearing and align my second interview outfit accordingly.

The job i actually got i wasn't really bothered about initially. I think i had a quarter zip running top on :p I noticed most people are quite relaxed though as they're just wearing what they'd normally wear for working at home.

As above though, do a dummy run, make sure your software is working ahead of time and clear any clutter from behind you. Also try and make sure lighting is decent. No-one needs a bright light over your shoulder or sun blazing through the window!

Soldato
OP
Interview went fairly well I think, I wore a shirt and tie and had my upper body in view so I could use hand movements to ( what does that actually show? emphasis?)

Teams did cut out but restarted itself quite quickly so that wasn't too bad.

Associate
Interview went fairly well I think, I wore a shirt and tie and had my upper body in view so I could use hand movements to ( what does that actually show? emphasis?)

Teams did cut out but restarted itself quite quickly so that wasn't too bad.
No arm in that, sounds positive

Soldato
You never, do not get a job for being too smart. I would guess there are numerous close decisions which have been swayed by the attire of someone. For that reason alone I would always wear a suit to an interview regardless

Soldato
I think the point of any interaction is to connect with the people you're talking to.

Usually the best method is called mirroring.

So depending what the meeting is about, if you know any of the people from the past, is to try and gauge what they are wearing, what its about, and how confident of a speaker you are on the subject.

I'd go smart casual normally. But some people are sticklers for the tie.

Associate
Had one Teams interview...full office dress top half (shirt, tie, suit jacket) lounge pants and slippers.

No blurry background but some strategic tidying, angling of the webcam and good light. CV and notes on another screen.

Interviewer did have a blurred background and confessed it was because her wine rack was directly behind her :D

My smart attire was mentioned and seemed to be a positive but didn't get the job and will probably think twice next time!

Hope you get it

Back
Top Bottom