******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
Tune in next Saturday to watch citizencom.

It's basically multiple panels that describe what cig have been working on, there plans for the future and some new information too.

Expect to see more information on the progress of the core tech pillars and some of the content they plan to release.

Details below:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon

It will start around 4pm UK time and streamed in twitch

Caporegime
Tune in next Saturday to watch citizencom.

It's basically multiple panels that describe what cig have been working on, there plans for the future and some new information too.

Expect to see more information on the progress of the core tech pillars and some of the content they plan to release.

Details below:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon

It will start around 4pm UK time and streamed in twitch

Dunno if this will give me a reason to install Twitch on my TV for comfortable couch viewing with a cheese burger, chips, a portion of doner meat, a bottle of baileys and a box of roses, the chocolate kind.....

Soldato
I'm interested in seeing how server meshing is going on, its in the roadmap with a completed delivery Q2 2022 - take with a pinch of salt, but I want to see the juicy details e.g. performance improvements, how it slices and dices etc. if they get to that level of detail.

Soldato
Pretty sure that's only the first stage of server meshing - lots of work to do after it I believe

From the card:

"Proprietary Server Meshing and Persistence Technology will allow Star Citizen to scale up it's shared universe across game servers. Eventually this technology will allow thousands of players to co-exist in the verse. Once the first version of this is implemented the number of servers and players will increase over successive versions."

Emphasis mine.

Basically even if this part gets delivered on time (doubtful tbh but you never know!) it's basically tier 1 server meshing and doesn't afaik have any dynamic element, nor will it overnight remove the need for separate instances etc... it'll be a gradual process over many iterations and probably won't be completed for a long time. As such I imagine this first step, while no doubt important, will be largely underwhelming for the end user.

Soldato
To be fair, even a stopgap of each planet and it's moons being on a standalone server and quantuming between planets transfers you between servers it should give a decent step up. Fingers crossed for a bigger step forward however!

In other news. Been busy modelling, 3d printing, breadboarding and coding for my DIY throttle control. Functionally it's working great, just need to iron out some niggles with the assembly side of things and get the electronics onto a proper prototype board where it'll be mostly hidden under the slide potentiometer + switches on the right.
Have a throttle gimbal that can have self-centering enabled or disengaged. A slide pot as Z axis, thumb stick for X+Y, 3 two way toggle switches, a light press button on the left (boost ingame), a hat and then an encoder/hat combo. Got most of the key binds I'd want available mapped now, but suspect I'll add some more buttons anyway as I'm getting quite carried away with it :D

Display is a little 1" oled. Not super useful whilst playing, but great for troubleshooting.

fJN1utd.jpg

Soldato
Dunno if this will give me a reason to install Twitch on my TV for comfortable couch viewing with a cheese burger, chips, a portion of doner meat, a bottle of baileys and a box of roses, the chocolate kind.....

Watch it on youtube!

Lets be honest though, you'll be on discord anyway so....

Soldato
Pretty sure that's only the first stage of server meshing - lots of work to do after it I believe

From the card:

"Proprietary Server Meshing and Persistence Technology will allow Star Citizen to scale up it's shared universe across game servers. Eventually this technology will allow thousands of players to co-exist in the verse. Once the first version of this is implemented the number of servers and players will increase over successive versions."

Emphasis mine.

Basically even if this part gets delivered on time (doubtful tbh but you never know!) it's basically tier 1 server meshing and doesn't afaik have any dynamic element, nor will it overnight remove the need for separate instances etc... it'll be a gradual process over many iterations and probably won't be completed for a long time. As such I imagine this first step, while no doubt important, will be largely underwhelming for the end user.

Even if each mesh only had 50 players, thats fine as it still means that there will be 500 people in stanton(given there is 10 meshes) so thats still way more than we have now

Soldato
Sure, but my point is it isn't just "boom, here's server meshing as promised"... it will be a multi-stage process and this is just the first stage that we expect to see mid next year.

Without the dynamic aspect (Which I believe is supposed to come later, or at least that was the plan a while back last time I read about it) there's problems to simply upping the count to 50x10 = 500 as you suggest... it would require everyone to be uniformly distributed across the system's various servers. Without the ability to dynamically alter the server area it would cause poor performance and no doubt eventually a crash if more and more people congregate in a single location. To some extent that can be countered by careful design, but it is not entirely predictable - especially when people get together to intentionally try and screw it up. For that reason I doubt it will immediately scale as directly as you suggest, but time will tell. I do hope we see more on it at citizen con if it is getting closer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whilst I agree it won't scale perfectly like that, 10 servers per solar system would atleast offload some issues. Say everyone went to Port Olisar, and the server running PO suddenly has 500 people on it. Yeah, that's not ideal. But at the same time that server wouldn't be having to maintain the NPCs, Lifts and other systems at every other landing zone or station. It's a step in the right direction for sure!

Soldato
Sure, but my point is it isn't just "boom, here's server meshing as promised"... it will be a multi-stage process and this is just the first stage that we expect to see mid next year.

Without the dynamic aspect (Which I believe is supposed to come later, or at least that was the plan a while back last time I read about it) there's problems to simply upping the count to 50x10 = 500 as you suggest... it would require everyone to be uniformly distributed across the system's various servers. Without the ability to dynamically alter the server area it would cause poor performance and no doubt eventually a crash if more and more people congregate in a single location. To some extent that can be countered by careful design, but it is not entirely predictable - especially when people get together to intentionally try and screw it up. For that reason I doubt it will immediately scale as directly as you suggest, but time will tell. I do hope we see more on it at citizen con if it is getting closer.

I will try clarify some things.

First of all it wont be just static here you go 10 meshes for stanton and hope for the best if orison has more than 50 players.

How it will work based on what i have read and seen from the roadmap is that each mesh will have a limit of say 50. If you and 10 of your mates in a carrack are traveling to orison that already has 45 people in there, the game will automatically put you and your friends in another server that can cater for you and your friends traveling together(the matchmaking part which CIG has just finished or about to finish completeing according to the progress tracker)

Soldato
I will try clarify some things.

First of all it wont be just static here you go 10 meshes for stanton and hope for the best if orison has more than 50 players.

How it will work based on what i have read and seen from the roadmap is that each mesh will have a limit of say 50. If you and 10 of your mates in a carrack are traveling to orison that already has 45 people in there, the game will automatically put you and your friends in another server that can cater for you and your friends traveling together(the matchmaking part which CIG has just finished or about to finish completing according to the progress tracker)

So what happens when someone wants to rock up with a fully crewed javelin?

Not that it will be a frequent occurrence but that is concerning how the game will cater to that.

Soldato
So what happens when someone wants to rock up with a fully crewed javelin?

Not that it will be a frequent occurrence but that is concerning how the game will cater to that.
The 50 people per mesh Is not a concrete number.

It was a example of having 500 players in Stanton vs 50 now.

The jav has 80 player it can fit innit?

Plus sm Is meant to work for each capital ship

Soldato
just picked up the 400i as I had a corsair so $5 upgrade... the fact that it is ready for 3.15 will be nice... just looks like a nice ship and something fun to cruise around in. Also the Anvil Liberator looks cool for fleets, simple carrier to move stuff around be cool to see the orgs with these moving fleet ops and stuff in the future.

Soldato
400i looks very pretty, I look forward to exploring one. But it doesn't sound like it's a very strong ship. Week pilot guns, both turrets on the rear, somewhat limited cargo capacity. I'm just not sure what it's selling point is beyond it looking nice. I appreciate that will be enough for some, but I'm not convinced.

Demos of Pyro with the different approaches to that mission looked great. The cloud tech looks very pretty too, can't wait to see that in person.

Soldato
just picked up the 400i as I had a corsair so $5 upgrade... the fact that it is ready for 3.15 will be nice... just looks like a nice ship and something fun to cruise around in. Also the Anvil Liberator looks cool for fleets, simple carrier to move stuff around be cool to see the orgs with these moving fleet ops and stuff in the future.
Yup same and its available to fly righjt now in the ptu

Back
Top Bottom