Auto-playing videos

Soldato
Not entirely sure where to post this as I don’t really know where the issue originated. Noticed over the last few weeks that when browsing OcUK on my phone, embedded YouTube videos will autoplay if I don’t scroll past them quickly enough. Pretty sure it never used to do this and I find it really intrusive particularly when my phone is supposedly on silent but still insists on blaring out audio from the these kind of sources.

The question is, where has the change happened to cause this? Is it something in the forum software? Something YouTube are enforcing or is it an iOS thing? And most importantly of all how the hell do you stop it? I’ve not found anything that works.

Soldato
Not entirely sure where to post this as I don’t really know where the issue originated. Noticed over the last few weeks that when browsing OcUK on my phone, embedded YouTube videos will autoplay if I don’t scroll past them quickly enough. Pretty sure it never used to do this and I find it really intrusive particularly when my phone is supposedly on silent but still insists on blaring out audio from the these kind of sources.

The question is, where has the change happened to cause this? Is it something in the forum software? Something YouTube are enforcing or is it an iOS thing? And most importantly of all how the hell do you stop it? I’ve not found anything that works.

ive noticed this. It could be a youtube thing

Associate
what happens if you disable the autoplay from weithin a youtube video? I know doing that would stop it on all videos through youtube but outside of that.. no idea

Not OcUK-related, but there are numerous sites that I go on that has a video at the top, and when I scroll down the page, a smaller version of the video appears at the bottom right of the screen. The "X" doesn't appear straight away, so it plays for around 10 seconds before the X appears, then I can close it off. Is there any way of preventing this from happening in the first place? Maybe a uBlock filter list?

Caporegime
some websites even refresh the whole page to get more advert impressions whilst your busy trying to read an article...

Soldato
Netflix does this **** when browsing the catalogue. I hate it, to the point I don't even look any more and have to rely on external sites to let me know what's on there.

I mean, I've seen B99, and I must have see the clip of Cpt Holt asking Peralta which of two pictures is his locker about 99 times because every time Netflix loads up it lands on that square. /rant

Rant was in hope of telling me there is a solution.

Soldato
Netflix does this **** when browsing the catalogue. I hate it, to the point I don't even look any more and have to rely on external sites to let me know what's on there.

I mean, I've seen B99, and I must have see the clip of Cpt Holt asking Peralta which of two pictures is his locker about 99 times because every time Netflix loads up it lands on that square. /rant

Rant was in hope of telling me there is a solution.

uninstall the mental de-programming Netflix. You'll be better off

Soldato
On iOS it has started playing embedded YouTube videos if I scroll on the video. As in, if I scroll down the page and I have my thumb on the video.

Never used to do that, little bit annoying but just need to retrain my brain.

Back
Top Bottom