• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Soldato
From DSO

tested with RTX3080 you can get 60fps at native 4k (FSR off, HD texture pack off) with everything on Ultra including Ray Tracing.

however the framerate hardly goes up at 1440p and 1080p. Inn-testing they found anything under 4k resolution results in severe CPU bottlenecks and the game, despite using DX12, is bottlenecked to a single CPU core.

Soldato
That's fine, it's just a classic case of Nvidiaitis for the CPU which when hit with RT workloads is even more painful. He can easily get >60fps mins so I don't see an issue really. As for the scaling with resolution, also typical for Ampere & core-heavy GPUs in general.

Associate
I guess the Dunia engine is seriously starting to show its age!
It is interesting to see from the link above that a reviewer is reporting noticeable CPU performance issues, like he can barely maintain 60 FPS at 1440p on medium settings using an older I7-3930K CPU (6C/12T) with the RTX 3070.

Caporegime
Hopefully that hd texture pack does a lot for the graphics....... looked very meh and very "flat" imo, probably cause lack of ray tracing effects for AO, shadows etc.

At least performance looks good though compared to the specs they were recommending.

Soldato
OP
I guess the Dunia engine is seriously starting to show its age!
It is interesting to see from the link above that a reviewer is reporting noticeable CPU performance issues, like he can barely maintain 60 FPS at 1440p on medium settings using an older I7-3930K CPU (6C/12T) with the RTX 3070.

the game relies heavily on single threaded performance so on those older CPUs that have low IPC the game is brutal

Soldato
OP
Hopefully that hd texture pack does a lot for the graphics....... looked very meh and very "flat" imo, probably cause lack of ray tracing effects for AO, shadows etc.

At least performance looks good though compared to the specs they were recommending.

the flatness isn't something that a texture pack could fix, what's missing is better lighting (ray traced GI and Ray traced AO)

Caporegime
the flatness isn't something that a texture pack could fix, what's missing is better lighting (ray traced GI and Ray traced AO)

Yup I know hence the comment; "looked very meh and very "flat" imo, probably cause lack of ray tracing effects for AO, shadows etc." :p

Decent video looking at perf. on a 3950x and 3080 across 1440p and 4k, basically:

- as suspected, lack lustre ray tracing implementation and perf. gets hammered big time with the limited RT effects turned on
- hd texture pack is ok, similar to other ubi titles hd texture pack it seems i.e. not ground breaking diff and no issues with the 3080s vram and using the hd texture pack despite some claims there would be
- confirms cpu issue/poor optimisation/nvidia driver overhead issue which is what is largely holding back perf on the 3080 here
- fsr doubles perf on UQ mode

All in all, graphics look very meh, honestly at times I would say you would be hard pressed to see the difference compared to far cry 5/new dawn, dare I say, they look better!

Soldato
In a recent Digital Foundry video Halo Infinite on PC couldn't get 120 FPS no matter how high end the hardware and how low the settings whereas the Xbox Series X was locked to 120 FPS throughout. I wonder whether this is a similar problem with this game, I hope they fix it as we pay enough for CPUs without having them outclassed by a weaker console.

Caporegime
the game relies heavily on single threaded performance so on those older CPUs that have low IPC the game is brutal

Yet folk on here have been advocating for the past 2 years that 8 cores is the minimum you should consider for a gaming rig.

I still believe 6 cores 12 threads is the best value for money and offers similar if not the same performance and will continue to do so until DDR5 is used by 50% of gamers which won't be for a long while yet.

Associate
Yup I know hence the comment; "looked very meh and very "flat" imo, probably cause lack of ray tracing effects for AO, shadows etc." :p

Decent video looking at perf. on a 3950x and 3080 across 1440p and 4k, basically:

- as suspected, lack lustre ray tracing implementation and perf. gets hammered big time with the limited RT effects turned on
- hd texture pack is ok, similar to other ubi titles hd texture pack it seems i.e. not ground breaking diff and no issues with the 3080s vram and using the hd texture pack despite some claims there would be
- confirms cpu issue/poor optimisation/nvidia driver overhead issue which is what is largely holding back perf on the 3080 here
- fsr doubles perf on UQ mode

All in all, graphics look very meh, honestly at times I would say you would be hard pressed to see the difference compared to far cry 5/new dawn, dare I say, they look better!
Lol the 3080 doesn't have enough VRAM for 4k ultra and all that crap. This is why FRS UQ is doubling the performance, it allows the 3080 to run under 10Gb of VRAM.

The game looks awesome btw.

Caporegime
Lol the 3080 doesn't have enough VRAM for 4k ultra and all that crap. This is why FRS UQ is doubling the performance, it allows the 3080 to run under 10Gb of VRAM.

It does look nice, HDR looks great too from what I have seen.

Desperately need a new game to get into so I hope this is as enjoyable as Far Cry 5.

Will put up some videos and screenshots on release date.

AMD folks should use 21.10.1 for best performance, released yesterday.

Caporegime

Running out of vram does not cause fps to half like that and be at that kind of low fps the entire time, that's not indicative of vram issues, in my experience when vram is an "issue", you get micro stuttering/frame latency issues and a lower 0.1 and 1% fps margin, not a 30/40+ fps kind of drop at all times unless you can show me another game where this happens?

Guess we'll know for sure once some 3090 etc. footage comes out.

Keep in mind that the consoles are having to turn off ray tracing to keep 4k60 too (and probably not even "native" 4k at all times either).....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom