*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If using the media creation tool to upgrade then you will have the option to "Accept" the warning, I posted a screenshot earlier of the same thing I got, just accept that and you can then begin the upgrade.

Caporegime
Couldn't sleep with the buzz so got up and decided to install it. Very, very quick from scratch. Best thing I've found so far? Having a giant blue arrow as my mouse pointer! :D

Caporegime
Downloaded the "final" ISO from the link above and installed on my ye olde Haswell. Still getting driver updates (even though it failed because my internet gimped out :p)

https://i.imgur.com/oY1XGfJ.png

How did you manage that? It’s telling me my 4790K is unsupported…

I’d like to give 11 a try, my 10 install seems to have gone a bit flakey, but I have no desire to upgrade my hardware yet as it’s still fine for my needs.

Soldato
Media creation tool doesn't seem to be working right now, probably servers being hammered. But downloaded the iso and installing on my 3 main computers.

Let's see how it goes!

Soldato
Yeah, it is The processor isn't supported for this version of Windows.

Just installed the latest insider preview beta on a dell optiplex 330 with a xeon E5450 c2q.

Used the 11 iso files but swapped out the sources folder for a win 10 sources folder, but kept the win 11 'install.wim' file in it. No TPM or secure boot check issues.

This.

Caporegime
How did you manage that? It’s telling me my 4790K is unsupported…

I’d like to give 11 a try, my 10 install seems to have gone a bit flakey, but I have no desire to upgrade my hardware yet as it’s still fine for my needs.
I have a 4690K in one of my machines and I had to:

- Enable Secure Boot in the BIOS, which also involved converting my drive from MBR to GPT (or it won't boot)
- Use the GitHub media creation tool to create a W11 ISO
- Do a fresh install (it wouldn't work from within Windows 10; kept saying hardware was unsupported)

Caporegime
I have a 4690K in one of my machines and I had to:

- Enable Secure Boot in the BIOS, which also involved converting my drive from MBR to GPT (or it won't boot)
- Use the GitHub media creation tool to create a W11 ISO
- Do a fresh install (it wouldn't work from within Windows 10; kept saying hardware was unsupported)
Great stuff, thank you.

Caporegime
So what's the general opinion on windows 11? Wondering if it's worth upgrading day one, or waiting for it to mature a bit.
The biggest benefit for me so far is for people with HTPCs / media stations in terms of HDMI handshakes and HDR.

The HDMI handling of sounds and connected soundbars etc. is now seemingly bug free and reliable, whereas before I had all kinds of fun getting sound to work after resuming from sleep. HDR seems to just work every time automatically.

It also handles multiple window layouts much better.

Back
Top Bottom