*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
So I woke up 7 and at 7:30am I checked. Windows update says This PC can run windows 11. So does anyone know what time in uk? No hurry but would be nice to do the upgrade before I start work at 11 today.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I woke up and she led at 7:30am just out of curiosity. Windows update says This PC can run windows 11. So does anyone know what time in uk? No hurry but would be nice to do the upgrade before I start work at 11 today.

Go to the link a few threads up and download now from the MS website.

Associate
Just upgraded to Windows 11 but find it odd that I cant move the main taskbar to my 2nd monitor without having to first make that monitor the main display. I run dual monitors and like to have my main taskbar on the secondary display, that way I can still see the taskbar if I'm gaming (full screen) on the main display. Is there a fix?

Soldato
The biggest benefit for me so far is for people with HTPCs / media stations in terms of HDMI handshakes and HDR.

The HDMI handling of sounds and connected soundbars etc. is now seemingly bug free and reliable, whereas before I had all kinds of fun getting sound to work after resuming from sleep. HDR seems to just work every time automatically.

It also handles multiple window layouts much better.

never hgad any issues with soundbar sound in any format

but any hdr improvements would be very welcome

Has anyone had issues with drivers or general PC gamer software not working?

Is game performance worse?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have a 4690K in one of my machines and I had to:

- Enable Secure Boot in the BIOS, which also involved converting my drive from MBR to GPT (or it won't boot)
- Use the GitHub media creation tool to create a W11 ISO
- Do a fresh install (it wouldn't work from within Windows 10; kept saying hardware was unsupported)

Very strange as I did nearly the exact process but simply ran the setup.exe that is on the USB created by the github MCT from within Windows 10. I got the prompt to accept the warning during install for unsupported hardware (CPU) and off it went installing. Must be other hardware factors at play then I imagine.

I was even browsing online and watching youtube during the install until it got to about 90% on the blue screen (you can alt/tab or WINKEY etc) when it starts the phased restarts to continue installing.

Edit*
The Github MCT has been updated to support release build. They are still using the 21H1 MCT itself however as the changelog says it has more capabilities. I suggest anyone having issues to try that. GIthub MCT > Windows 11 > USB creation > Setup.exe from the USB. You need to make sure your OS drive is GPT and Secure boot is enabled as mentioned.

Does in place upgrade work ok? Don’t fancy reinstalling all my games.

100% for me. My Windows 10 was an old install which was inplace upgraded from 7 which was inplace upgraded from Vista and I still had zero issues.

So what's the general opinion on windows 11? Wondering if it's worth upgrading day one, or waiting for it to mature a bit.

Having used it all night now I like most of it. Little finishing touches that just need polishing like window min/max animations that are a tiny bit janky right at the start of the animation, as well as giving us the option to group start menu programs like on 10. MS did this with 10 initially too remember, they had no start menu features to group apps, but then in a later major update added these features.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers for that @apatia77,Downloaded the "Create Installation media" :)

Does anyone know good "reputable" software that can show my Windows 10 key for me? and wont nick it? lol

Back
Top Bottom