petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

ALD

ALD

Associate
It's people like you trying to top off an almost full tank causing the problems. Just fill up the other end of the journey like a normal person. Simple to have different rules for motorbikes.

Caporegime
The problem isn't the queue, the queue is a result of the forecourts running dry, so when it comes back on, people think they will be dry soon so they all go and fill up.

To stop it running dry by placing a cap then people will not panic and fill up when they don't need to. When they notice all of them are open they psychologically they won't go fill up out of their normal routine.

Soldato
To stop it running dry by placing a cap then people will not panic and fill up when they don't need to. When they notice all of them are open they psychologically they won't go fill up out of their normal routine.
But the fact folk can't get a full tank will mean that a single trip is now (in my case) 3 trips. So I'll be part of the problem 300% more than if I could just fill up once. This is compounded by folk who need a full tank more frequently than others (taxi drivers, couriers, whatever).

Soldato
It's people like you trying to top off an almost full tank causing the problems. Just fill up the other end of the journey like a normal person. Simple to have different rules for motorbikes.

... and when you're out of fuel 50 miles short of your destination, on the side of the road?

Someone failed maths at school.

Any "normal person" would top the tank off if there's insufficient range before undertaking a long journey.

Caporegime
But the fact folk can't get a full tank will mean that a single trip is now (in my case) 3 trips. So I'll be part of the problem 300% more than if I could just fill up once. This is compounded by folk who need a full tank more frequently than others (taxi drivers, couriers, whatever).

Yes, the idea is that your 2nd fill up isn't going to be later that day on the same station in the same area. If you have to drive 300miles then you need to find another one 100+ miles away thus alleviate the problem in that area (SE).

Or that by the time you need a 2nd trip, it's a few days later. After a few days of the public not seeing any station being closed, there will no longer be a panic buying frenzy. The news will report all stations opens and have fuel.

Soldato
Managed to fill up at a local BP for 147p/L for diesel the other day

Should be about 450 miles of range, maybe a little more if I go on cruise at 60 mph.

A friend of mine works at the local Tesco and is getting a bit fed up of constant abuse from people :(

Soldato
forcing people to limit at £30 at least means they will think before returning, reduces the queue faster, and,
the self-perpetuating sentiment other passer-by have, that they still need to panic buy.

I don't get the topping-off thing, you stand a chance at overfilling - the plate at the top of the filler kneck, doesnt stop it sloshing out either ?

Soldato
forcing people to limit at £30 at least means they will think before returning, reduces the queue faster, and,
the self-perpetuating sentiment other passer-by have, that they still need to panic buy.

I don't get the topping-off thing, you stand a chance at overfilling - the plate at the top of the filler kneck, doesnt stop it sloshing out either ?

No the queues move slower due to people becoming confused that it stopped at £30, or arguing about it or standing there for ages demanding more.
Also, a lot of stations only turn the one or two pumps on so the person in the kiosk can watch the amounts go up and manually cut them at the desired amount. Not all of them have auto caps you can set I assume.
It's a complete farce. £30 is a third of a tank for some bigger cars/suvs/vans. I had to do an airport run the other day and needed enough to ensure I could get there and back as wasn't risking dropping everyone off at 2am and not being able to get home.

ALD

ALD

Associate
... and when you're out of fuel 50 miles short of your destination, on the side of the road?

Someone failed maths at school.

Any "normal person" would top the tank off if there's insufficient range before undertaking a long journey.

I got a A actually. I would fill up when nearing empty so i would have fuel for the journey back.

Soldato
I certainly would. I'd much rather get where I'm going without having to think about fuel.

I got a A actually.
Not in English though, right? :p ;)

Any 'normal' person would take a break somewhere during a 350 mile journey.
Which on a long journey would likely be at a motorway services with fuel at "because we can charge this much" rates.

Soldato
Which on a long journey would likely be at a motorway services with fuel at "because we can charge this much" rates.

In this daft hypothetical situation we're talking 50 miles of fuel, not a full tank. That's what, 6-7 litres for most people? So..less than a tenner?
On motorway journeys it's rare that these breaks will be at somewhere you'd want to buy fuel from :eek:
Why?

Back
Top Bottom