Mounted partitions and a new build

Soldato
Hi all,

For reasons that I no longer really remember my old Lightroom catalogue and image files were stored on an IDE drive partition which I'd mounted to a user folder in a windows install on an SSD. This PC is now kaput.

I'm about to put together a new build with a fresh Windows 11 install (hopefully!) on an m2 nvme drive... Will I be able to just plug in the IDE drive and pull all the files over or will I have to do something weird with the SSD as well in order to find them?

Cheers!

Man of Honour
If it's an IDE drive how will you plug in the drive into the new build which has no IDE ports? :D

Best option is to buy a USB HDD docking station that has an IDE socket to plug in such a drive and act as a USB drive. Always good to have one of these in the drawer as they can come in handy here and there.

You can then browse the drive and copy over the Lightroom files. No need for partitions etc on the new SSD.

Soldato
OP
If it's an IDE drive how will you plug in the drive into the new build which has no IDE ports? :D

Best option is to buy a USB HDD docking station that has an IDE socket to plug in such a drive and act as a USB drive. Always good to have one of these in the drawer as they can come in handy here and there.

You can then browse the drive and copy over the Lightroom files. No need for partitions etc on the new SSD.

:(

I totally hadn't considered that IDE might not even be a thing any more! Good shout mrk, I'll get a thingy.

Man of Honour
Better to be prepped now than to find out as you're installing it all! The one I linked shows an EU power plug so you may need to use shaver adapter to convert to a UK plug which you may well have lying around the house. I just linked the first one I saw on Amazon as an example.

Back
Top Bottom