petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Caporegime
By the way, the commercial traveller is not paying the displayed prices on motorway service stations. He will have a company card with a pre-agreed price centrally negotiated by his company with the fuel provider company.

We have fuel cards but are still advised to use bunkering sites or sites off the motorway network as whilst the price is still lower than the advertised amount at an MSA, it’s still considerably more than the other options.

99.3% of HGV drivers are male.
Being a pedantic, it’s 1% although at the company I work for its more like 15%, we have a mother and daughter (along with dad) along with a husband & wife, along with a few others.

Man of Honour
you are right, there is one 20 miles away at Lidl, next nearest is 30 miles away. Neither are a few miles like you claim

Interestingly quite a few of the rapid chargers near me have issues reported and when I went by the nearest one recently the bays were there but the chargers were completely missing.

Soldato
Still seeing people filling up numerous fuel cans after they have put some in their car, they're been sneaky about it though and opening the boot so not to have them wide on show in front of the pump :cry:
I mean I know there's probably people that need extra fuel for work purposes if you're a Gardner etc and use petrol equipment etc ;)

Soldato
maybe the absence of just super is a good thing - we've moved from
beggars can't be choosers - deliver just the super , to
quite a few garages nearby have standard, so beggars can now go elsewhere.

Soldato
you are right, there is one 20 miles away at Lidl, next nearest is 30 miles away. Neither are a few miles like you claim

Just to be clear I specifically said “most people”. Most =/= all people, meaning some people will not be but they are very much in the minority these days.

Caporegime
Just to be clear I specifically said “most people”. Most =/= all people, meaning some people will not be but they are very much in the minority these days.

A lot of people do still live in the countryside despite more people living in towns/cities.

Minority is true though, just like high speed broadband. The majority of the country has it but doesnt help the millions who dont.

Was one of the reasons I didnt go full ev this time, I will wait 3 years and let the infrastructure of charging points increase.

I still think it might be doubtful that more than 50% of the country live "within a few miles" of a high speed charge. I would take that to be no more than 7 miles away max.

Plus its not much good if its the only fast charge. Take the nearest one to me some 20 miles away.

Around 50,000 people live within that 20 mile radius. One fast charger per 50,000 people doesn.t seem like enough to me. Within that same radius there will be 20-30 petrol stations there is a long way to go on infrastructure yet.

Soldato
I don’t dispute their isn’t enough but it’s fairly obvious from a cursory glance at zap map that the vast majority of people are within a few miles of a rapid charger.

If you have off street parking you’ll never use it anyway so the stat is sort of meaningless for most people. If you can charge at home you’ll only really ever use chargers on major trunk roads and generally speaking they are well covered but the capacity is getting used more a peek times with the growing number of vehicles.

Associate
I stopped by the local Tesco at about 7.00 this morning, and it had all the fuels and no queues at all - did my first fill-up for three weeks.
It's been really bad around here for the last couple of weeks, so I don't know if I was just lucky or things really are returning to near-normality.

Soldato
Sounds like the south is still a mess for fuel. Mixed bag up here The BP near my house is empty and the next one along but I filled up at a Jet which was fine with no limit in place.

A friend who works for Morrisons says they have their own drivers so never had an issue in the first place.

I need it for deliveries as I say, I work with a guy with a Mazda mx30 or whatever it's called. He uses two council car parks that are free and a Lidl 30s away from his work that is 80% in 40 minutes he says. He has to park on the street which is a fair distance from his house which I couldn't put up with. I've Tora drive so easy enough to get a charger installed.

Soldato
I’m with you there @Jonny ///M, I’d never buy a house without off street parking that is suitable to be provisioned with a charger anymore given where we are heading.

The convenience of leaving with a full tank daily will be well worth paying for.

Permabanned
Will be going electric after this car I think, wasnt quite ready for me this time around and the selection is fairly boring outside of a handful of super expensive EV's

Still hit and miss for fuel around us.

Soldato
Racing this weekend so need to go out and fill a jerry can with V-power at some point in the next couple of days, trying to leave it as late as I can to let things die down but I’m still half expecting to get some kind of trouble.

Caporegime
Racing this weekend so need to go out and fill a jerry can with V-power at some point in the next couple of days, trying to leave it as late as I can to let things die down but I’m still half expecting to get some kind of trouble.

I went yesterday to do shopping and Momentum was dry at my local Tesco's. I still have half a tank mind.

Soldato
Shell was pretty empty on me way home yesterday, however pulled into a slot that looked like it had V-Power, but it was dirty diesel V-Power. Had to resort to peasant juice, and I was only allowed £35 annoyingly.

Soldato
Went out to get bread and passed a much smaller than normal queue at the nearest Shell and then found only a couple of cars queuing at my local JS. No Unleaded but did have Diesel and Super so treated the Jag to Super. No spend limit so put £60 in (big tank in a Jag). On the way back the queue at the Shell was only around 15 cars whereas a few days ago it would have been more like 100. Maybe there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

Back
Top Bottom