Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Wow.

Just did a comparison out of interest for Scottish Power who signed up for.

Nearly 8p a unit for gas!

No one would sign up for that

Yeah, i was coming out of Morrisons last night and had a chat as i was with Green so curious about current prices being due to move to Shell. He said they'd gone up again Monday night and due again at the end of October.

What did throw me, was that he said that i could do a switch now even though i've not fully been setup with Shell. I did make it clear i wouldn't be going with him without doing proper research so not sure he had a reason to lie to me. I always thought i had to be officially moved over to Shell before i could switch.

Soldato
Had you already set that going before they went bust though?

I'm talking about only trying to initiate it now.

Yes, a few days before they went under when there was still some ‘deals’ around.

I really wouldn’t switch now unless it’s to someone cheaper which is highly unlikely for a new customer.

Caporegime
5.5p? Your mad, that’s well above the cap and still well above what’s being muted for April. Most people are paying around 4p.

I'm getting 200 pounds cashback for the switch too. So I think up until March I will basically be same as the variable price. If the march one does jump again it will be even closer.

I definitely do not want to be stuck in September year wishing I had committed to that 5.5p when the variable jumped to 6 or something.

Also if it does get under control I can always leave with no exit fees

Caporegime
S
Whose that with, 3 years sounds ok as it will be rising in April also. Anyone got 5 years, long term fix is more justified vs risk
Scottish Power. I really wasn't sure to go for it. But really don't want to be stuck in variable when October comes round again if these prices do stabilise up here

Soldato
I'm getting 200 pounds cashback for the switch too. So I think up until March I will basically be same as the variable price. If the march one does jump again it will be even closer.

I definitely do not want to be stuck in September year wishing I had committed to that 5.5p when the variable jumped to 6 or something.

Also if it does get under control I can always leave with no exit fees

The other realistic scenario is that prices go back down. The issue is that supply is being constrained for geopolitical reasons at the moment (for once not actually to do with the U.K. governments incompetence) but that doesn’t mean to say it always will be.

Sure there are no exit fees but that doesn’t stop you paying over the odds for now.

Caporegime
The other realistic scenario is that prices go back down. The issue is that supply is being constrained for geopolitical reasons at the moment (for once not actually to do with the U.K. governments incompetence) but that doesn’t mean to say it always will be.

Sure there are no exit fees but that doesn’t stop you paying over the odds for now.

But it could easily stay much higher than it was before this 5x increase. And the SVR may go up 300 apparently in April. Its basically impossible that it won't go up.

The difference for the next 6 months between mine and the variable is minimal (with cashback) and probably the next 6 months after that they will be basically the same too

Soldato
The cap will go up in April because it’s based on the wholesale prices now, as in right now.

If wholesale prices dropped out in January, the cap would still likely go up but new tariffs may go down.

Crystal ball and all that as no one really knows.

Caporegime
The cap will go up in April because it’s based on the wholesale prices now, as in right now.

If wholesale prices dropped out in January, the cap would still likely go up but new tariffs may go down.

Crystal ball and all that as no one really knows.

I just checked my fix and the offer from Shell.

Elec is 1.2p more a unit on my fix than variable. So that's like 5 percent
Gas is 1.1p more so that's about 20 percent.

So actually think I'll be basically flat in costs over winter fixing. And with barely any gas used in summer I think the best decision was to take that 3 Yr fix

Soldato
I switched from avro to Sainsbury’s the day they went bust, what will happen to my credit? Will it automatically go to Sainsbury’s or will I have to fight for it from avro?

Soldato
I switched from avro to Sainsbury’s the day they went bust, what will happen to my credit? Will it automatically go to Sainsbury’s or will I have to fight for it from avro?

It should automatically rollover, although how long this takes to happen is anyones guess.

I'd built up a decent credit with Green ready for winter, but can imagine a short term bumming in terms of DD payments until it gets applied as i'll be joining at the worst time of year.

Soldato

It should automatically rollover, although how long this takes to happen is anyones guess.

I'd built up a decent credit with Green ready for winter, but can imagine a short term bumming in terms of DD payments until it gets applied as i'll be joining at the worst time of year.

No, you’ll need to get it from Octopus who took on Avro customers. That will take some time though.

Soldato

No, you’ll need to get it from Octopus who took on Avro customers. That will take some time though.

cool thanks

Soldato
5.5p? Your mad, that’s well above the cap and still well above what’s being muted for April. Most people are paying around 4p.

My thoughts also, there is some seriously risk averse people who don't seem to mind been ripped off as they that risk averse.

April is predicted to be well above inflation, but at the same time its not going to be a 20%+ rise. I try to urge people to not panic buy into tariffs.

Back
Top Bottom