Bathroom ceiling caved in

Soldato
It does look like the cladding goes straight onto the wall and old tiles but if that is fine then I'll take it. Just noticed that the shower drain is going to be at the opposite end of the actual shower, should it not be at the same end?

The side with the drain will most likely have the fixed part of the shower screen whilst the shower head side would have the shower door. This way you're less likely to stand on the drain cover and split it, also the shower head water passes the door opening as it projects into the fixed closed in end of the enclosure. You also wouldn't have the door on the drain side in your case as your toilet looks as though it's going on that side.

As someone who is about to install panels it might be worth a quick look into the grab adhesive they are using.
The panel company that supplied ours recommend a specific grab adhesive that has added PVC bonding agents (of course they would!) which I could not find if it was usual sales nonsense or if it was really needed. In the end I ordered theirs as it wasnt worth the risk of normal grab

Soldato
As someone who is about to install panels it might be worth a quick look into the grab adhesive they are using.
The panel company that supplied ours recommend a specific grab adhesive that has added PVC bonding agents (of course they would!) which I could not find if it was usual sales nonsense or if it was really needed. In the end I ordered theirs as it wasnt worth the risk of normal grab

Out of interest what panels you use? What made you go for them vs competition? Might use some in my bathroom I'm going to renovate soon

Soldato
OP
The side with the drain will most likely have the fixed part of the shower screen whilst the shower head side would have the shower door. This way you're less likely to stand on the drain cover and split it, also the shower head water passes the door opening as it projects into the fixed closed in end of the enclosure. You also wouldn't have the door on the drain side in your case as your toilet looks as though it's going on that side.

Where the drain is is where you are going to be entering the shower on mine, the shower head is at the opposite end.

Soldato
Go in with a hammer. Smash some of the old floor tiles.

when they come back... tell them you dropped a heavy object about 10 times.. looks like the tiles need to come out.. woops.

Out of interest what panels you use? What made you go for them vs competition? Might use some in my bathroom I'm going to renovate soon

Ordered from a company called easypanel

https://easypanels.co.uk/

I got samples but to be honest they all seem pretty much the same.
I was fussed I was happy to tile it but the other half wanted it to have a sparkle effect (its quite low tbh) so these came up well
She saw them a few weeks ago when we were in Scotland and instantly took to them

I dont really use the bathroom as such, few times a year, so I dont really care what it looks like, shes making it a refuge, spa bath, panels, large mirror etc, girly stuff
Just to clarify I use the shower in the ensuite ;)

Soldato
Ordered from a company called easypanel

https://easypanels.co.uk/
Ah I had you mistaken, I thought you meant a sub layer tanking panel for walls e.g rather than plasterboard.

I wouldnt stress about it too much @LeeUK. Also, the drain side is fine, the difference in water level matters more on the static level (I.e. Up/down) rather than length of pipework for these short lengths. They will (or should) fit at least 40mm drains with a fall I.e. Downward slant to drain point. This downward slant should be 18mm per linear metre I.e. Not too significant.

Soldato
OP
Well it's been day 4 today and tomorrow Friday is supposed to be the 5th and final day. But I've found some serious snags I'm not happy about...

Also I got a phone call from the fitter today while I was at work, wanting to know what time I leave for work tomorrow morning so he can come early to get the rest of the payment! No way am I paying them before I know for sure I'm satisfied and these snags have been rectified. The fitter or the owner (who hasn't been here during the fit) will have to come back on Saturday for payment.

I've also just found a 1 star Google review from someone posted last week. They say the company pretended they had not been a customer of theirs and wouldn't come out to fix some faults until the customer reclaimed some money back from their credit card, and are still waiting to hear back from the owner 6 months later regarding their uneven floor and cracked ceiling.

Screw holes in the panels which aren't hidden by the silver trim - in 3 places along this edge:

1633721515.jpg

1633692208.jpg

Puncture hole in the flooring along the door thresh:

1633668717.jpg

Uneven cuts along the panel edges - this is the worse one but there are others:

1633721864.jpg

The towel rad pipes aren't in line (but I think these can be adjusted as it's on flexpipe inside the box):

1633668313.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate to sound negative - but even as a fairly competent DIY person I guarantee I would have done a better job than that....

Those panel corner/edges should have corner trim fitted before they go on the wall.... please tell me they aren't just going to put filler/sealant in there.....

The alarm bells were ringing from the start for me - NOT taking all the tiles off and stripping back to see the wall etc was just lazy/time saving....

Pay them nothing - if they won't play ball - get someone else

Soldato
OP
I hate to sound negative - but even as a fairly competent DIY person I guarantee I would have done a better job than that....

Those panel corner/edges should have corner trim fitted before they go on the wall.... please tell me they aren't just going to put filler/sealant in there.....

The alarm bells were ringing from the start for me - NOT taking all the tiles off and stripping back to see the wall etc was just lazy/time saving....

Pay them nothing - if they won't play ball - get someone else

They have cut corners everywhere, not prepping properly, using the cheapest materials and trying to get paid before it's finished so they can ride off into the sunset. Just quick cash grab.

Soldato
They have cut corners everywhere, not prepping properly, using the cheapest materials and trying to get paid before it's finished so they can ride off into the sunset. Just quick cash grab.

Sounds like quite a stressful situation and I don’t envy you. But it sounds like you’re in charge if you haven’t paid, or only paid the deposit so I think all you can do is insist they put it right otherwise no payment.

It’ll be interesting to hear how they respond to that.

Associate
Are those panels supposed to have sealant in the corners?

Threshold needs replacing with a bigger one.

Did they cut that chrome edge trim to accommodate the radiator pipe, or is one of the pipes just sitting on top of the trim?

Soldato
Wow some of those cuts are shocking. The fact they've left it like that probably speaks volumes for the rest of the work. I would go over it with a fine toothcomb tonight and then phone whoever is in charge tomorrow morning and say you're not happy with the quality of the work and that payment will not be made until the issues are rectified. Follow up with an email so you've got documented evidence in the event he tries to sue you for payment.

Soldato
OP
No way am I paying the rest until it's completely finished and I'm happy. He wants to come and take final payment before I go to work today before it's even finished and I've seen the final result!

Associate
Always keep enough money back so there's financial incentive to complete the job satisfactorily.
I imagine most the snags you've mentioned will get addressed with silicone.

Soldato
Does the panel manufacturer makes a corner trim for those internal corners that is meant to grip the panel from the front & rear? If so it's up to you whether you insist on those having been used when going over the snags. I suspect they're not fitting the panels to the manufacturers spec and are intending to hide the corner cuts with just flat trim stuck on top.

No idea why they've screwed the panels on the edges, partially under the shower screen frame. If they're stuck down then the screwing down is probably also out of spec to manufacturers instructions. The screws are likely adding an unnecessary point of failure for water ingress and the screws compress the panel in a way they can't be covered.

A number of panels need removal including scraping adhesive from wall before replacing with new panels to the correct manufacturers fitting spec.

The floor tile needs replacing and cutting correctly to match the contour of the door frame or a thin slice removed from door frame for new tile to slide under.

The radiator should have brackets holding it against the wall which should be such that they determine a solid attachment that is an even distance from said wall across the full height. If the rad came with 4 brackets, then 2 should be fitted towards the top and 2 towards the bottom, for it to be an even distance from wall all over. I suspect it hasn't been fitted with 4 brackets for them to achieve what they've done but can't see for sure from the photo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom