VR Headset bought and returned but not refunded because money charged back on my card

Permabanned
I mistakenly bought an Oculus VR headset from Amazo* like 4months ago and returned it because I did not like it. They refunded me 3 days later, I posted back the VR headset in the box via the Hermes Drop Shop and got the confirmation of postage (I always take pics of this and the item as proof ).

Yesterday, I checked my card and they took £350 without my permission. So I contacted them, and they claimed that I sent the incorrect item back and refused to return my money. I have initiated several chats and they have all refused to return my money. They claim that I sent a totally different order ( a home decoration order with many items, worth like £250), they also said they have discarded the items and should I sent back the VR headset they are happy to refund it (When it was already sent back to them).

What can I do? As I have been conned by a multi-billion dollar company. They have the item and my £350.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ask for evidence as I assume they have cameras monitoring the returns centre. If you do a chargeback via your bank you may get refunded but Amazon will close your account and black list you.

Permabanned
OP
Ask for evidence as I assume they have cameras monitoring the returns centre. If you do a chargeback via your bank you may get refunded but Amazon will close your account and black list you.

I asked for evidence and they said they have disposed of the items and that they recieved the update from their call center and the call center has no phone.Then they cut me off politely.

So they would black list me after attempting to steal my £350, that is not a fair way to do business.

I feel conned and it has a sour taste.

Soldato
I asked for evidence and they said they have disposed of the items and that they recieved the update from their call center and the call center has no phone.Then they cut me off politely.

So they would black list me after attempting to steal my £350, that is not a fair way to do business.

I feel conned and it has a sour taste.

If you do a bank chargeback they will. You could also try small claims if you are getting nowhere.

Permabanned
OP
Is there a chance that a delivery person recognised the amazon returns label, and swapped the contents?

I don't know, because Amaz** offered the item return method and I selected the Hermes Drop Shop, used it a few times before. If that is what happened, they don't even care and seem to think stealing my money is fine.

Soldato
I would imagine they probably weighed it too. Might be another way to fight with Amazon.

Just a point though, a chargeback isn't an instant refund. Amazon will get to have their say and defend their actions. They will need to show evidence though. So if you're planning on a chargeback tell them first, and tell them you have delivery number, weight etc. Ask them what they have. They may choose to refund you or they might at least show you the other stuff.

I'd be asking why they didn't return the 250 worth of home stuff. Or consider maybe some labels got switched as ity seems ridiculous to send them stuff worth so much of you're trying to scam them.

Associate
This thread makes me nervous as ive just returned a £1.2k item to amaz , hermes were the courier, hope its ok.
I did return a 65" samsung tv to amaz via hermes in 2017. Some weeks later i hadnt been refunded so i chased it up, amaz said they never received the tv!
After more messing about i did get refunded but afaik the tv was never returned.

Soldato
I've been fortunate that the worst experience I've had with Hermes is them throwing boxes over fences (luckily the dogs didn't chew it) and delivering a parcel that had apparently been left in the rain, or sat in a puddle for a while. Again, luckily the contents were sealed in plastic. However I'd be reluctant to trust them with returning something valuable.

Permabanned
OP
What are Hermes saying? They should see that the package was received at the droop point….

I would imagine they probably weighed it too. Might be another way to fight with Amazon.

Just a point though, a chargeback isn't an instant refund. Amazon will get to have their say and defend their actions. They will need to show evidence though. So if you're planning on a chargeback tell them first, and tell them you have delivery number, weight etc. Ask them what they have. They may choose to refund you or they might at least show you the other stuff.

I'd be asking why they didn't return the 250 worth of home stuff. Or consider maybe some labels got switched as ity seems ridiculous to send them stuff worth so much of you're trying to scam them.

I took a photo of the card/postage receipt that I received from Hermes Drop shop when I posted the item. However, when I put in the 8 digit code into the Hermes tracking, it says "The entered code is not valid".
I'm not sure why it is saying this?

I'll tried to phone to ask what's going on, but it's impossible to speak to a Human as the call robot asks for a 16 digit code which I don't have (the postage receipt has an 8 digit). Even the system does not accept the 8 digit code. So I can't even speak to a human.

My evidence is proof of postage and images of the item that I posted. There is nothing else I can provide. I felt sick yesterday because of this issue as Ama.. are already very rich and should not need to scam me.

Last edited:
Soldato
May I ask why you chose to return the device 4 months after use?

Don't you only get 30 days for a "change of heart" return? The rest of time should only be to claim in warranty for repair etc.?

Soldato
My evidence is proof of postage and images of the item that I posted. There is nothing else I can provide. I felt sick yesterday because of this issue as Ama.. are already very rich and should not need to scam me.

Amazon aren't scamming you. Why would they?

From everything you said so far, it looks like somebody in Hermes, either deliberately or accidently, messed up your return.

And I checked the Hermes website. There is an online chat tool? did you try that? It's "called get in touch" on their front page.

Permabanned
OP
Amazon aren't scamming you. Why would they?

From everything you said so far, it looks like somebody in Hermes, either deliberately or accidently, messed up your return.

And I checked the Hermes website. There is an online chat tool? did you try that? It's "called get in touch" on their front page.

Its Amaz.. who took the money from my card, they have not listened to a word that I have said , I returned the item through their required delivery service(Hermes). They simply won't listen or even investigate. And have even discarded the other item

I am going to the One Shop to get some answers first.

UPDATE - I went to the Hermes shop , showed them their card and explained it. They could not even get the tracking and just said well Ama.. recieved it and all I can do is contact their Hermes customer service which can't be contacted as I explained.

When I go to their Hermes chat and enter the tracking number. It says
"I can't find anything with the number you've provided. Would you mind checking & trying again? It's your 16 digit tracking number". The card given at the shop has an 8 digit tracking number that does not work on their sites.

I have literally had £350 stolen from me. I did not even authorise them to withdraw the money from my card?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
It seems bizarre that they'd charge your card 3 months later. When was the item confirmed to be delivered?

I agree, that caught me off guard, I recieve an email to return the item 2months after it was returned but I just assumed it was some sort of error. Almost 1 month or so later I have seen £350 stolen from my account.

The whole thing is bizarre, they are clearly confused and think they can steal money from people and not get in trouble. Should I report to the police?

Soldato
I agree, that caught me off guard, I recieve an email to return the item 2months after it was returned but I just assumed it was some sort of error. Almost 1 month or so later I have seen £350 stolen from my account.

The whole thing is bizarre, they are clearly confused and think they can steal money from people and not get in trouble. Should I report to the police?

Do you have proof that you sent the item back? If not, what do you want the police to do?

Was there no confirmation that the package was delivered? Was that email asking about it 2 months later the only contact? Why wouldn't you send back a message saying it was returned already at that point?

Soldato
You keep saying Amazon (why can’t you write it? :p) have stolen from you, but we don’t actually know the fault lies with them.

In your position, I would be going to the Hermes contact point with your receipt and not leaving until they can link the ID number on the receipt with their tracking system. Firstly you need to prove you sent the parcel and when it arrived before Amazon are going to take you seriously.

Back
Top Bottom