• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5800x turning off randomly either when idle or gaming

Associate
OP
Thanks, it's got 2 separate 8 pin connectors on the PSU, which are now fully in use.
On the last PSU, I was using 2 separate connectors too.

Associate
I had similar issue with Ryzen 5 1600, which I solved by disabling XMP, C-state, Cool n quiet, and using high performance profile in Windows (or setting minimum processor state to 100%), and again had the same issue when I upgraded to Ryzen 7 5800X, the only thing I changed from 1600 to 5800X was re-enabling XMP, so I turned that off, been rock stable since them.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Thanks mate. That's pretty much what happens to mine. Very strange.
Just got my mate over, swapped out my 3080 for his 2080TI (he's gonna borrow mine for a few days) just in case it's the GPU - for whatever reason.
Looks like it's not, already had my first crash.

So, it's either the board, cpu or RAM. Unlikely to be RAM, since I've done a memtest and reduced from 3600 > 3200 and have XMP off, but it's still happening.

Last edited:
Associate
As others have suggested have you tried setting a static overclock like 4.0ghz at 1.2v or you can disable core performance boost in bios

Associate
Run all default with specs.
If a crash, then it means voltage drops to low is a likely reason.
ensure latest bios and drivers.
Troubleshoot for voltage with mboard and psu.
Ryzen requires an amount of voltage on demand as it responds within 2ms.
Dropping below threshold for whatever reason could be a mboard issue that isn't applying proper voltage to the cpu.
or a sensitive cpu with ram.

Today cpus are a marvel of hardware but as such also becomes more sensitive if things are not within specs.

anyhow, as an example what can happen

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/ktr1o6/5000_series_ryzen_crashing/

Associate
OP
I'll give the CPU a low overclock to test.
Can someone give me some basic options to choose, so I don't over-do, under-do it please?
I'd rather put in a community-validated overclock rather than just something I thought was 'ok'.

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
I'll give the CPU a low overclock to test.
Can someone give me some basic options to choose, so I don't over-do, under-do it please?
I'd rather put in a community-validated overclock rather than just something I thought was 'ok'.

Thanks in advance!

We can't give you something that will be stable every chip is unique. The closest thing we can do is recommend a low clock speed with high voltage and hope for the best - something like 4ghz all core with 1.3v (if the system crashes with this I'd just RMA the CPU straight away)

By the way, something else you should if you haven't already is lower your ram to default speed and timings (not xmp) and then increase the memory controller voltage to 1.1v (this will fix any crashing due to memory unless the memory is completely fooked and needs an RMA)

Associate
OP
something like 4ghz all core with 1.3v
Thanks mate. Happy to set it to that and test. How do I actually do that on my board?
I assume it's not anything to do with PBO and curve optimization.

Back in the early days of intel overclocking, it was all ever-so-simple, the only overclocking options were multiplier and vcore. Long gone are those days :p

Soldato
Thanks mate. Happy to set it to that and test. How do I actually do that on my board?
I assume it's not anything to do with PBO and curve optimization.

Back in the early days of intel overclocking, it was all ever-so-simple, the only overclocking options were multiplier and vcore. Long gone are those days :p
That's all you have to set, multi to 40 and vcore to 1.3 although I'd probably go for a 44 multi which should give you 4.4ghz which just about any 5800X should be able to do, it will be the high boost low load scenario where it's failing so setting an all core lower than the single core boost of 4.7/4.8 should enable you to confirm if it's the CPU that's faulty which is most often the case in these situations.

If it turns out to be the CPU always RMA direct to AMD since if you RMA with the retailer they will just run prime on it for a few hours which won't show up the fault then send the chip back saying it's not faulty.

Associate
OP
This is really weird.... i would be tempted to RMA the CPU but if you do that and put the replacement in you may end up with the same problem, in which case @jigger has been trying to tell us something for a few pages now....
:p

:D

Raised a return with where I bought it from. They'll be sending it back to manufacturer for me apparently.

Soldato
Raised a return with where I bought it from. They'll be sending it back to manufacturer for me apparently.
I guess the motherboard is over 30-days since you bought it? If it isn't, you should be able to claim a full refund inc shipping costs, or request a repair/replacement of the faulty product.

Back
Top Bottom