Which Cat6A or Cat7A to run close to power lines ? help me design nw please.

Caporegime
Alright, cat6 it is! If it really goes pear shaped in the future when I am permitted to upgrade to 10GB I can just use the cat6 runs to pull through cat6a :D.

Soldato
Are you planning to spend a LONG time there?
if yes, Put fibre optic cables in the walls.. and an switch under the stairs or something

Soldato
Or don't, given that zero consumer devices ship with the required SFP+ ports, versus the increasing amount of devices becoming available that support 2.5G or 5G Copper Ethernet.
Didnt say he needed to use them yet. Future proofing and all that. just having them behind a little door is enough for the future

Don
Didnt say he needed to use them yet. Future proofing and all that.

It's one thing to be future proof by spending a little more on Cat6 or 6A over Cat5e - at least that can be used at present.

Seems pointless to spend a few hundred quid on fibre (either preterminated, or buying mechanical splices etc), that he can't use for anything without buying further equipment (e.g. media converters) :confused:

just having them behind a little door is enough for the future

A little door ?!?!?

Soldato
It's one thing to be future proof by spending a little more on Cat6 or 6A over Cat5e - at least that can be used at present.

Seems pointless to spend a few hundred quid on fibre (either preterminated, or buying mechanical splices etc), that he can't use for anything without buying further equipment (e.g. media converters) :confused:

A little door ?!?!?

yea a little door...
a little access hatch..

Caporegime
If you want future proof then pull in ducting and you can put whatever you want in it.

Fibre cabling in a domestic environment is totally unnecessary.

Caporegime
To be clear I wasn't actually recommending it - it's a huge pain to do if the alternative is just drilling small holes or pushing cabling behind dot-and-dab plasterboard, but it's the only thing that can be remotely considered "future proof".

Associate
As an FYI ULV and LV cable separation is nothing to do with interference, its to prevent induction of currents in the ULV cable from the LV. UK Mains voltage Frequency 50Hz, Cat 6 Frequency 250 - 500 MHz that is a factor of 5 or 10 million difference. Shielding in tis situation will do very little either. NEXT is more likely to be an issue, or doing something stupid like pudding and LED Driver inside your comms cab to power the pretty LED strip. Also +1 on ducts and Fibre in domestic premises is not as rare as you think. Seeing quite a few installs specified with a fibre backbone.

Soldato
OP
Ok so, about to get the cables for my install. I reflected back to this post

Cablemonkey has :

Connectix Cat6a U/FTP LSZH B2ca Solid Cable
or
Connectix Cat 6a F/FTP B2ca Solid Cable
or
Connectix Cat6a S/FTP Patch Cable (this one doesn't say of its AWG23)

Which one should I go for I will get 2 drums so I can do parallel runs. All of them say on the data sheet they are Copper.
Also they all have drain wires, this needs to be grounded to the patch panel and the socket modules ?
I am thinking this faceplates from MK MB184WHI combined with some Cat6A modules ? I suspect this is standardised so any module should fit in it as long as it standardised as the MK modules are 30quid a pop (p/n K5846SWHI )?

Thanks

Soldato
Patch cable should be stranded, so no use to you.

Both of the others are almost certainly overkill (pointed out earlier in the thread?) for what you're doing so toss a coin or choose whichever is cheapest.

Most modules should fit the frames but not necessarily match the colour. There are many shades of white.

Back
Top Bottom