Revisiting Fallout 3 :-)

Soldato
Mmm, mention of FO4 has led me to poke around and find there seem to be ways of putting FO3 radio into FO4. This may scratch the atmospheric itch without dealing with uglyvision. I haven't modded FO4 before, but this is worth some effort.

Soldato
I'd love to play Fallout 3 and tried last year but I kept getting random crashes to desktop every 15 minutes or so. :( Is there a stability fix for playing on Windows 10?

Well I have FO3 on both Steam and GOG. I bought it on GOG for about a quid on the recommendation of someone I cant remember as apparently there is 'something' different about it. No idea what but what I can say is they I experienced far less crashes on the GOG version, same for New Vegas as well.
Pretty sure it more than placebo as I've completed multiple heavily modded runs of both now and on the Steam versions I'd given up due to constant crashing.

Mmm, mention of FO4 has led me to poke around and find there seem to be ways of putting FO3 radio into FO4. This may scratch the atmospheric itch without dealing with uglyvision. I haven't modded FO4 before, but this is worth some effort.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17606/

Soldato
Well I have FO3 on both Steam and GOG. I bought it on GOG for about a quid on the recommendation of someone I cant remember as apparently there is 'something' different about it. No idea what but what I can say is they I experienced far less crashes on the GOG version, same for New Vegas as well.
Pretty sure it more than placebo as I've completed multiple heavily modded runs of both now and on the Steam versions I'd given up due to constant crashing.
Thanks for this. Yes, I recall reading something similar regarding the GOG and Steam versions when looking for a fix at the time. New Vegas runs absolutely fine for me but Fallout 3 was ultimately unplayable due to the random crashes. I suppose I could always pick up the GOG version. Maybe I will the next time I get the Fallout itch...

Associate

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17606/

Thanks for that tip. I've wishlisted on GOG, will pick up when it's on sale

Soldato
Some of the mods for the game are decent, and certainly make the game more than playable. One of my favourites is the mod which removes the green tint of the game.

I understand it’s thematic but it doesn’t really add to the experience for me.

Soldato
I still find it an amazing game - the graphics aren't brilliant but they aren't the worst. The storyline is good and I love wandering around and finding new stuff, even now. I find the story line much better than New Vergas and, for some reason, I just can't get into New Vegas as there's far too much talk about factions, etc. which I didn't want to do - I'm happy wandering around on my own and discovering stuff. That's why I don't have a companion in FO4 I just leave them all at the base. FO4 is, again, a good game but it still seems it's not as good as FO3. Base building is okay but I don't want to have that mechanic shoved down my throat.

M.

Soldato
I'd possibly get the GOG version as they are normally good at updating games that don't work. I haven't had an issue with either the Steam version saying that, though this was after they removed the Games for Windows Live launcher. I'd recommend limiting your refresh rate to 60Hz otherwise the game will run fast.

For £6 or whatever it's certainly good value.

M.

Soldato
played through a couple of years ago now and it was mainly fine. Can't remember which mod list I used though.
You could check out Tale of Two Wastelands, it's a mod which stitches FO3 + New Vegas together and allows a single character to go through both games

Soldato
Fallout 4 is just better in pretty much every respect though.

New Vegas is a lot better imo as well.

Fallout 3 was good at the time, but the two following games just make it obsolete.

Soldato

Fallout 3 was good at the time, but the two following games just make it obsolete.

Yeah it didn't live up to my memories of it, amazing on first play through when it came out. Very old feeling nowadays

Soldato

For me I'd disagree but that's just my opinion. FO4 'forced' you to do crafting and base building which I found awkward and just painful. The almost forced companions was also a pain, just leave me to explore on my own. NV just the factions got to me and I couldn't really get into it - again I like the idea of the 'lone wanderer' scenario which makes them much more immersible for me.

I still play FO3 today and still finding new stuff. Whilst it's not the best looking game it's still not the worst looking game.

M.

Caporegime
For me I'd disagree but that's just my opinion. FO4 'forced' you to do crafting and base building which I found awkward and just painful.

Amen to this.

Couldn't give a stuff about making my own outposts and designing my hometown in Fallout 4. Never did complete it as I kept getting bored...and the quests just didn't seem as good.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas were superb.

Soldato
Fallout 4 also forced a choice between three not very satisfying endings, rather like Mass Effect in that regard. Luckily mods can fix that.

I also hated the outpost building, not least because the keybinding system was so broken that if I used my normal left-handed FPS bindings it broke the base building controls, making it impossible to progress without using a gamepad. And then the game didn't have seamless switching between gamepad and keyboard - you had to go into the menus and switch them around. Very annoying.

Soldato
Fallout 76 is more fun than Fallout 4. Better graphics, less bugs, more interesting world. Just has some multiplayer stuff tacked on as well

Back
Top Bottom