Backing up photos

Soldato
Not sure if I'm posting in right place but what's the safest method to backup personal photos and videos? Wanna do a clean windows 11 install.

Was thinking cloud but got a quite a few videos. Would an SSD be a better option over a micro SD card or usb stick?

Soldato
Yes an SSD would be infinitely better, if only because it’s bigger and you’re less likely to misplace it.

Of course the cloud is also a viable option, depending on your upload speed and the amount of data you have.

Commissario
I'll move this over to photography, but personally I'd look at backing up to at least two separate places/devices at all times.

So an external hard drive of some kind and possibly some good SD cards or USB sticks (and put them in a box that is clearly labelled and easy to find*).
The "cloud" can be good depending on how many you've got, but don't rely on it alone.

I tend to have mine on the original SD cards, my main documents drive, a couple of external drives on different machines, and Amazon.

*I store usb sticks and sd cards in small really useful boxes in a rack with other odds and ends, things like picture pins and fancy dice are in other boxes in the rack.

Associate
I admit I did it on an apple device and a computer and their was no apparent limitation. This was several years ago. Now I have a Synology device they are all backed up and shared via their platform.

Associate
That’s good to know as another option.

You can also create an s3 bucket but that would cost. I can’t remember if you get 12months free on that service or not.

Associate
Personally I use a separate HDD which is installed in my PC to back up every thing and also another HDD in a HDD USB caddy.
HDD are cheap enough to use and hopefully I will not have 3 HDD fail at the same time !

Back
Top Bottom