Energy Suppliers

Soldato
24p Unit Rate (per kWh) 3.98700p for me next week it's still cheaper for me to ride out not fixing
Come april i will still be better off being a low user i hope assuming my supplier doesn't go bust

Associate
I've finally had my switching pack from BG. Its as expected set at the cap limit, but lasts until June 2022.
Thats about as good as it gets right now I guess.

I suspect if the prices start to fall then summer next year may be a good time to switch, we will see.

I did cancel my DD, I was already over a month in credit and another DD was due just after Peoples energy went bust. I am still just in credit now, so will be looking to get into my account tomorrow and trigger the DD setup from within.
Although as there is no discount for paying by DD on the capped tariff I am not sure there is anyway they can benefit nor penalise me for insisting on cheque.

If prices remain hig by that point, I will seriously consider getting some solar I think.
I will also need a serious think about gas boilers. Mine is around 15 years old, with no new ones after 2023 then it may be worth getting a new one installed late 22 or so, that way I am not forced to switch quickly.
I find this no new gas boilers that early quite interesting since the alternatives are not really financially viable yet imo.

I'm in a similar situation and no longer have a cheque book so I hope they accept other forms of electronic payment. Not sure whether to bother with DD also as there is no benefit to me and saves me from building up huge amount of credit. I would just rather pay a bill monthly for the correct amount of usage but I'll have to wait for BG to fully set up my account first to see what my options are.

Caporegime
My thoughts also, there is some seriously risk averse people who don't seem to mind been ripped off as they that risk averse.

April is predicted to be well above inflation, but at the same time its not going to be a 20%+ rise. I try to urge people to not panic buy into tariffs.

Remember I'm getting 200 pounds to offset against this rise. And I've read that next variable could be 200-300gbp increase over a year.

Also my electric on the fix is almost same price as variable. And during summer this is basically all I use

Soldato
Besides - the government would have to intervene and provide some kind of subsidy come April (vat reduction? this is a gift horse atm like petrol), if rate was increased dramatically, both for less well off folks, and industry (beyond CO2 manufacture);
... 2nd round of SOLR selection.

Soldato
Anyone had this happen?

Moved to a new tariff.. only to find a few days later to have been moved to a completely different tariff which is substantially more expensive without being told?

Shell energy have just shafted me...

An extra 1p per gas unit and 3p per electricity unit. Wtf

Man of Honour
My switch from Green/Shell to Sainsbury's Energy completes tomorrow so that's something I don't have to worry about for another year. Pretty relieved it went through because it was by far the best of the "deals" remaining three weeks ago. No credit to worry about as Green got my direct debit bang on and my account evened out last month. Just my final bill to come.

Caporegime
Anyone had this happen?

Moved to a new tariff.. only to find a few days later to have been moved to a completely different tariff which is substantially more expensive without being told?

Is this a move from green?
I can't remember! :D

That's a lot too.
I'll keep a look out for my Scottish Power bill

Edit.
It's because you're on a flexible tariff. And that got changed this month.

Associate
Anyone had this happen?

has the switch fully completed or are you still in the cooling off period?

Soldato
Is this a move from green?
I can't remember! :D

That's a lot too.
I'll keep a look out for my Scottish Power bill

Edit.
It's because you're on a flexible tariff. And that got changed this month.
Yes, but I was to start an agreed tariff.
They should have told me anyway. The sods have raised a complaint as there was no communication. Will see what happens.

Caporegime
Im still getting emails from Shell saying I'm with them but also from Scottish Power saying I'm with them.

Also read a news story saying variable could get to 1600 a year or higher in April.

That would be shocking if it comes to pass

Soldato
I had an email from shell this morning too after i switched to Sainsburys/Eon 5 days ago.

I'm betting shell are just mass adding all the accounts they inherited from Green and will eventually get round to sorting out which ones have already switched.

I cancelled by direct debit with Green some time ago (about 2 months before they went bust) as i was in a bit of credit and figured that'd last me until i made the switch. That should break close to even, will probably find that shell owe me about a tenner.

Caporegime
I had an email from shell this morning too after i switched to Sainsburys/Eon 5 days ago.

I'm betting shell are just mass adding all the accounts they inherited from Green and will eventually get round to sorting out which ones have already switched.

I cancelled by direct debit with Green some time ago (about 2 months before they went bust) as i was in a bit of credit and figured that'd last me until i made the switch. That should break close to even, will probably find that shell owe me about a tenner.

I also cancelled. My DD ended up 40 in credit. So submitted meter reads to suck that up. I'd rather owe them than they owe me

That's what I suspected. Mass email. I've just checked with Scottish Power to make sure my switch has gone through. If the rises in April Are correctly projected I'm definitely glad to be taking the higher costs now.

Soldato
Im still getting emails from Shell saying I'm with them but also from Scottish Power saying I'm with them.

Also read a news story saying variable could get to 1600 a year or higher in April.

That would be shocking if it comes to pass

Meaningless number, what matters is % increase or unit prices, the average usage and average price is meaningless to the millions who dont have average consumption

I think the wholesale rate will be lower by then vs what it is now.

Caporegime
Meaningless number, what matters is % increase or unit prices, the average usage and average price is meaningless to the millions who dont have average consumption

They are calculated on historic data so they will be going up significantly. Its unavoidable.

What can't bank on its some sort of government intervention. But the energy corps can't suck up losses forever. Prices must go up

If they go up by 300 that's 1200 ish to 1500ish

About 25 percent. Conservative prediction apparently

Soldato

Yeah, my usage is already about £2k per year. 30, 40% increases are going to hit lots of people not just the poor. The economy will suffer as a result.

Soldato
They are calculated on historic data so they will be going up significantly. Its unavoidable.

What can't bank on its some sort of government intervention

Yeah I know will be going up absolutely no question, but not sure it will be this predicted 33%.

If the government let that happen, they would have to back down on UC, maybe consider dropping levies/VAT as well.

I think the wholesale rate will stabilise, Russia starting to feed gas, repairs done mid October and fully done by March.

Caporegime
Yeah I know will be going up absolutely no question, but not sure it will be this predicted 33%.

If the government let that happen, they would have to back down on UC, maybe consider dropping levies/VAT as well.

I think it has to go up. Otherwise the energy companies will just collapse. Like you said. Government could intervene. Probably subsidy for the poorest and more tax for rest

Back
Top Bottom