Brand new car...

Man of Honour
I enquired about the "short wait" on a new vehicle offer I was musing over given the wording about "we understand blah blah" - February 2022... prices are all over the place though some stuff up, some down.

Man of Honour
February 2022 is a fairly usual timescale for a vehicle order placed in October 2021. Unless it was in stock it wouldn't have been much quicker in normal times.

Man of Honour
February 2022 is a fairly usual timescale for a vehicle order placed in October 2021. Unless it was in stock it wouldn't have been much quicker in normal times.

Well I don't exactly buy new cars very often but in the past for stock spec offers with a stock colour it has been more like a few weeks say 6 weeks - sure it isn't unusual for some marques and/or if you want a particular spec or lots of extras, etc.

Man of Honour
Very few manufacturers will deliver a factory order within 6 weeks so no idea where you've got that idea from. Like I say, in stock cars are obviously different as they already exist.

When did you last order a new car to get a factory build delivered in just over a month?! :D

Caporegime
The car we have ordered has the same timescale of Feb 2022.

Expected and actually delivered by then are two different things,. The car I ordered at the beginning of May had a delivery date of 15th November and it definitely wont be that now. The manufacturer is unsure themselves but looking likely to be at least 2022 now.

Man of Honour
Very few manufacturers will deliver a factory order within 6 weeks so no idea where you've got that idea from. Like I say, in stock cars are obviously different as they already exist.

When did you last order a new car to get a factory build delivered in just over a month?! :D

I'm not really talking about factory builds - the dealers I've experience of usually have orders in for popular trim/equipment levels and standard colours for these kind of deals which whenever I've had anything to do with it in the past are a few weeks turn around at most.

Soldato
Expected and actually delivered by then are two different things,. The car I ordered at the beginning of May had a delivery date of 15th November and it definitely wont be that now. The manufacturer is unsure themselves but looking likely to be at least 2022 now.

I'm fully expecting it to be later than Feb, a friend has ordered an Enyaq IV, originally 15 weeks and the next day went up to 25 weeks!
May to 2022 is a staggering wait.

We would like ours before July/August for a camping trip, gone for a Dacia Duster as it's larger than the Citigo, or my wife's KA. In the mean time I can get them tidied and one sold.

Soldato
:D

I'm indecisive!

Still think for a new car the Sandero is ideal for someone like me that just wants an A-B car that isn't interested in hooning, I'm too old for that ****!

As per your original post, or at least what I recall from reading it last night, when you're just looking for A-B the consideration of new vs used is something hard to ignore, although in the current marketplace, it's not quite as straightforward as it used to be.

I'd personally consider some of the brands offering long warranties from new like Kia, where you could pick up a 2 or 3 year old car and still have 4 or 5 years of warranty left on it. The problem with that now is whether a 2 or 3 year old one is actually good value or if they're nearly as expensive as new anyway.

Soldato
although in the current marketplace, it's not quite as straightforward as it used to be.

Indeed. For the first time in my driving life I'm absolutely not fussed at all about changing cars at the moment, whole thing seems like a mess.

I'm WFH most of the week and the idea of a monthly payment on a car or changing and buying something at the chip shortage inflated price doesn't appeal in the slightest. Think I'd rather spend a few more quid and keep my current car ticking along nicely.

Caporegime
I'm fully expecting it to be later than Feb, a friend has ordered an Enyaq IV, originally 15 weeks and the next day went up to 25 weeks!
May to 2022 is a staggering wait.

We would like ours before July/August for a camping trip, gone for a Dacia Duster as it's larger than the Citigo, or my wife's KA. In the mean time I can get them tidied and one sold.

I know somebody who ordered his car in February 2021, expected it in October and has now been told it will be February 2023!!!!!. He can reorder the car and go to the back of the queue without the options which are causing the delay but it will still be March 2022 to get that revised car.

Soldato
OP
The bi fuel option seems appealing with recent events.

It does, I had a quick look and there are some LPG outlets within a few miles of me, and one of them quotes 49p/litre!

As per your original post, or at least what I recall from reading it last night, when you're just looking for A-B the consideration of new vs used is something hard to ignore, although in the current marketplace, it's not quite as straightforward as it used to be.

I'd personally consider some of the brands offering long warranties from new like Kia, where you could pick up a 2 or 3 year old car and still have 4 or 5 years of warranty left on it. The problem with that now is whether a 2 or 3 year old one is actually good value or if they're nearly as expensive as new anyway.

Indeed, it's one of the reasons I edited the original post, part of me would really like a brand new car for once in my diminishing life, but another part is saying you lose around 30% of the value of the car once you drive it off the forecourt!

Back
Top Bottom