Queueing type system?

Soldato
Unfortunately we have one of our supervisors off with a serious health issue. Whilst he's gone, I've put someone else in charge to look after the helpdesk.

I'd like to improve service, and address an issue which is annoying the team.

We use servicedesk+ as our ticketing system, but we also allow users to visit us for various issues. I need to find a way to improve this, as people are using it as a way to jump the queue.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the argos system where you get given a number, or users can book a time slot to visit us, rather than just knocking on the door.

any ideas?

Soldato
I believe ServiceNow have this feature in their service desk product if - not cheap if you need a lot of seats though (you don't typically need seats for users raising issues - just for the people in support teams afaik)

Associate
When I first started in IT we built our own ticketing system and so the staff were accustomed to walk-ins as the normal way of doing things. Over time many staff got used to logging calls but there were many 'old timers' who like to walk in and those who believe they're the most important person in the world which have a pressing issue that must be resolved in that instant.

For the walk-ins we just log the call on behalf of the user as they're there and tell them it's on our work list and we'll get around to it when we can. Same thing for those that email support staff directly, just log the call for them. The system would then email them the ticket details.

The act of walk-ins can be disruptive and in extreme cases just lock the door if possible. On the other hand, as long as it's not abused it's a good social event which is good for morale.

Caporegime
Don't allow walk ups at all. Many companies don't. It works better you may find. Or only allow P1 walk ups.

This is the answer. You have a staffing shortage due to illness, so temporarily put a stop to all walk-ups. There’s no point trying to find a tech solution for this, people will just find another way to skip the line.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone,

Maybe I wasn't clear, but coming up with a way to address people just turning up is actually what I was trying to achieve :D

I think a calendar where people can book a face to face when required is probably good enough. The other calls are already logged in servicedesk.

Just need to get marketing to do a nice poster for the door now.

Soldato
Maybe I wasn't clear, but coming up with a way to address people just turning up is actually what I was trying to achieve :D

I'm busy with another user at the minute, so if you could do me a favour and drop an email to [insert helpdesk email here], it'll make sure I don't forget about it and I'll get back to you as soon as I'm free.

Back
Top Bottom