*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
Stuck Win11 on my laptop. First impressions here are...distinctly un-good.

They appear to have taken the muddled UI design of Win10, where some stuff looks like it has done since the Win9x days and some stuff looks like the modern design, and made it even more muddled. To get to a useful right-click menu on the desktop or in the file explorer now takes two mouse clicks rather than one (you right-click and get a Modern UI menu, click 'show more options' and get a classic style one???). Right-clicking on the taskbar no longer gives you a quick way to get the task manager open. The new start menu is awful. Just so much wasted space.

One step sideways, three steps backwards off of a cliff. No way in hell is this going anywhere near my desktop PC as it stands.

It is weird how they've basically borrowed hard from someone else's design but somehow completely not understood the design language and how it is utilised to improve not just the aesthetics and how information is presented to the user but also how they use it.

Soldato
You can get the task manager back if you use "StartAllBack" but than the calendar doesnt pop up when you click the clock for some reason and you cant alter the volume with the speaker icon?

Soldato
StartAllBack is great - a big shoutout to that.

But I dislike the fact it takes a 3rd party app to solve the crappy restrictive design choices of Microsoft.

It's solved all my issues with the taskbar in Win 11 - i.e. I now have ungrouped apps, with proper icons and labels, on every monitor. Plus, I've customised the start menu so it's much more suited to what I do.

I've also tweaked the colours of the menus and taskbar, going for a dark Windows theme. Basically it looks way better than Windows 10 ever looked now.

Soldato
StartAllBack is great - a big shoutout to that.

But I dislike the fact it takes a 3rd party app to solve the crappy restrictive design choices of Microsoft.

It's solved all my issues with the taskbar in Win 11 - i.e. I now have ungrouped apps, with proper icons and labels, on every monitor. Plus, I've customised the start menu so it's much more suited to what I do.

I've also tweaked the colours of the menus and taskbar, going for a dark Windows theme. Basically it looks way better than Windows 10 ever looked now.
its not free though, but its only a fiver..... A bug I have come across though, when you use toolbars and you rearrange the files, the files go back to where they were when you restart windows. But Im sure they will fix that in later updates.

Caporegime
AMD CPU’s taking a performance hit with Win11 a fix is on its way; https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-400

Yup........ Intel: "oh good news we worked with Microsoft on Windows 11 for Alder Lake"

Yeah well i'm not installing Windows 11 until AMD confirm Microsoft fixed their crap.

I would suggest anyone running Ryzen sticks with Windows 10 until its fixed, that's what AMD recommend.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
You right-click on the Windows logo and you get Task Manager listed in there.

Yeah, going to take a bit for muscle memory to unlearn the old way.

Going to have to look at start menu replacements though, because I've got no intention of getting used to the Win11 one as it stands.

Permabanned
Yup........ Intel: "oh good news we worked with Microsoft on Windows 11 for Alder Lake"

Yeah well i'm not installing Windows 11 until AMD confirm Microsoft fixed their crap.

I would suggest anyone running Ryzen sticks with Windows 10 until its fixed, that's what AMD recommend.

Ok

Soldato
How to create a local admin account at OOBE for Home Edition on the laptop .It force me to connect wireless . If I don't, it won't continue at all.

Commissario
This is the first time a new version of Windows is not compatible with any rig I've owned. What I also find baffling, is they annouced a workaround to allow installing it on your pc if it's not compatible!

Think I will stick with Win 10 until I move down under in 2023, then buy a new pc, and THEN I will embrace Win 11.

Microsoft, have some of my middle finger!

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Why on earth are you people installing startisback. Do you realise you can just either leave windows 10 on or move the menu to the left side in settings? You just wasting your money and time.

That's not very nice. They have their reasons to why they have implemented what they have done. Mainly down to security.

Just bypass it. I was going to wait but decided to bit the bullet and give it a go. Had couple issues but sorted them now so now I have two systems running with currently no on-going issues.

How to create a local admin account at OOBE for Home Edition on the laptop .It force me to connect wireless . If I don't, it won't continue at all.

You can't. The option doesn't appear if it detects a valid nic even if you unplug it. I tried it and I had to make an online account and then change to local once I was in windows.

Permabanned
This is the first time a new version of Windows is not compatible with any rig I've owned. What I also find baffling, is they annouced a workaround to allow installing it on your pc if it's not compatible!

Think I will stick with Win 10 until I move down under in 2023, then buy a new pc, and THEN I will embrace Win 11.

Yes, Windows 8 all over again.
By the way, I had never used Windows 8.

If Microsoft wants, I will never use Windows 11, as well.

Commissario
That's not very nice. They have their reasons to why they have implemented what they have done. Mainly down to security.

Just bypass it. I was going to wait but decided to bit the bullet and give it a go. Had couple issues but sorted them now so now I have two systems running with currently no on-going issues.

Can you still get windows updates if you bypass the installation? I'm sure I read somewhere that you will not receive updates.

Back
Top Bottom