• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New World still killing GPUs? Jaytwocentz vs Amazon part2

Associate
Which at the end of the day despite what jay has said it's a design/hardware issue!
Yes exactly or a driver issue either way its a manufacture/hardware vendor issue.

If you want to you can run MS FlightSim alongside New World and Red Dead Redemption 2 simultaneously your GPU should not suffer a hardware failure.

It’s as if JayZ has been briefed by an Nvidia PR person :rolleyes:

V F

V F

Soldato
Is this still mostly EVGA & Gigabyte?

Any FE cards impacted? (No plans to play the game :p but curious just in-case)

That's the problem. Nobody is pinning it down that I'm aware of so far. Somehow I still have a feeling some people are running power supplies near their limits with 3090s.

Associate
That's the problem. Nobody is pinning it down that I'm aware of so far. Somehow I still have a feeling some people are running power supplies near their limits with 3090s.
I dont think its going to be power supply related at all.
All a PSU does is provide the power requested of it. If that draw exceeds what its capable of, it should trip and turn off.
The only way a PSU is going to kill a GPU is if it fails catastrophically, and unsafely, sending excess voltage down the rails.
From what I read, people get black screens and max Fan, then need to reboot. That does not sound at all like a PSU issue. A PSU either provides the power, or it trips and fails. So if it was black screen crashing with the system turning off, then yes that would point at the PSU. But with the fans going to 100%? Clearly PSU hasn't tripped.

It definitely seems to be something GPU related. If its affecting all brands of the same/similar model, then it would point at an nVidia problem. If its all cards from 1 or 2 vendors, then I guess it would be something about there PCB design.

Associate
I dont think its going to be power supply related at all.
It definitely seems to be something GPU related. If its affecting all brands of the same/similar model, then it would point at an nVidia problem. If its all cards from 1 or 2 vendors, then I guess it would be something about there PCB design.

I would agree. A power supply doesn't have any logic as to how much current is drawn as that is down to the device that it is connected to. it might suggest either an instruction set/ firmware on the GPU is corrupted, or there is an unexpected set of inputs/sensor parameters that is sending the board into an unstable condition.

Soldato
OP
Buildzoid did a tear down and pcb analysis of a gpu that died playing new world.

The conclusion is that the power stages are blown due to poor power delivery design and both evga and gigabyte cards have the same issue

jaytwocentz was kind of right in his video - the cards are dying because they are pulling too much power but that's not the game's fault, you can't blame software - it's power delivery mechanism on that card's fault for delivering too much power than the pcb can handle.

Using a car analogy, It's like building a engine that can generate 500nm of torque and then attaching it to a gearbox that's rated for 400nm and when the gearbox blows up you blame the driver for flooring the accelerator pedal...

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Buildzoid did a tear down and pcb analysis of a gpu that died playing new world.

The conclusion is that the power stages are blown due to poor power delivery design and both evga and gigabyte cards have the same issue

jaytwocentz was kind of right in his video - the cards are dying because they are pulling too much power but that's not the game's fault, you can't blame software - it's power delivery mechanism on that card's fault for delivering too much power than the pcb can handle.

Using a car analogy, It's like building a engine that can generate 500nm of torque and then attaching it to a gearbox that's rated for 400nm and when the gearbox blows up you blame the driver for flooring the accelerator pedal...

So how on earth did they manage to miss that?

Soldato
So how on earth did they manage to miss that?
AIBs have been cutting every corner possible this generation to try and improve margins. Gigabyte have revised many of their cards multiple times, each bringing an obvious downcosting of the bill of materials. I was holding a 3060 Ti Gaming OC Pro rev. 3 from them recently, and the thing's a joke compared to the rev. 1 model from launch. They've totally gotten rid of the breakout box that was there to improve the position of the power plugs, and the cooler on it is smaller, thinner (2 slots instead of 2.5) and lighter. The fans are also smaller and of a different design. I'm not surprised that they're also cutting corners with the PCB and components thereon. EVGA also have a long history of bodge jobs and doing things on the cheap, so it's no shock to see them at it again either.

Associate
I guess it is a fact that the manufacturers need to improve the profitability of the items (even if retailers are also making a nice mark up).

V F

V F

Soldato
AIBs have been cutting every corner possible this generation to try and improve margins. Gigabyte have revised many of their cards multiple times, each bringing an obvious downcosting of the bill of materials. I was holding a 3060 Ti Gaming OC Pro rev. 3 from them recently, and the thing's a joke compared to the rev. 1 model from launch. They've totally gotten rid of the breakout box that was there to improve the position of the power plugs, and the cooler on it is smaller, thinner (2 slots instead of 2.5) and lighter. The fans are also smaller and of a different design. I'm not surprised that they're also cutting corners with the PCB and components thereon. EVGA also have a long history of bodge jobs and doing things on the cheap, so it's no shock to see them at it again either.

Ok that I can believe, that and corners getting cut for both profits and the GPU shortage but why only this game that is supposedly triggering it. Why no other games that blew them?

Associate
Ok that I can believe, that and corners getting cut for both profits and the GPU shortage but why only this game that is supposedly triggering it. Why no other games that blew them?

I imagine it is a rarely used instruction within the gpu (or specific sequence of calls to the gpu) that the electrical board doesn’t like or triggers an issude with an integrated circuit on the board. Tracking it down will be particularly challenging to fix or in fact to reproduce.

probably cheaper for the manufacturer to just replace the gpu on good will than find the root cause. If it became the highest rating game of all time, perhaps their would be more incentive to fix.

Associate
All a PSU does is provide the power requested of it. If that draw exceeds what its capable of, it should trip and turn off.
The ripple and whether it manages to hold 12v without dropping off. These new high powered cards seem to be somewhat sensitive to power delivery quality.

V F

V F

Soldato
I imagine it is a rarely used instruction within the gpu (or specific sequence of calls to the gpu) that the electrical board doesn’t like or triggers an issude with an integrated circuit on the board. Tracking it down will be particularly challenging to fix or in fact to reproduce.

probably cheaper for the manufacturer to just replace the gpu on good will than find the root cause. If it became the highest rating game of all time, perhaps their would be more incentive to fix.

Hmm... I'm a little terrified. I had only bought that last week but the watercooled version. It hasn't been switched on yet.

PowerGPU was quick to note that this is indicative of the same mechanical problems as before, just now impacting those who didn’t play the New World beta. In other words, it still appears to be a limited hardware issue and the numbers are much less than the first time around. If using an EVGA 3090 or a Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti, it may be good to be aware that there are potential issues when playing New World, but they are not widespread and the chances of being okay are quite good despite this.

https://gamerant.com/new-world-gpu-issues-explained/

Soldato
Sigh, being charged out of the arse for a gpu and the vendor cutting corners. Sad times. Though I've experienced this with a gigabyte motherboard before, and it was the vrms coincidentally. The smoking coming out of that card definitely looks like it's from solder and glue melting.

Associate
Hmm... I'm a little terrified. I had only bought that last week but the watercooled version. It hasn't been switched on yet.

https://gamerant.com/new-world-gpu-issues-explained/

Sadly I think you will find this with any product you buy in life. The manufacturer will optimise cost within an inch of their lives and sometimes bad quality results. I think in general, you don't see many examples of this so the industry as a whole is doing a 'good job' in their eyes. Whilst they might think they understand the frustration of the buyers, I am not sure they truly understand how frustrating and upsetting it can be. They do not need to deal with the immediate aftermath of their failure in quality.

Back
Top Bottom