*** The Official Battlefield 2042 thread***

Soldato
The one area I'm praying is upgraded, was yapping with a mate just now is the gameplay. It feels like standard CONQUEST is dead now... we need more... I found last night I started getting a little bored as people weren't defending etc. I'm praying they have OPERATIONS and it works like BF1. Both of us agreed that in BF1 it was awesome, the maps stunning and the way it involved EVERYONE at EVERY point made a massive different... CONQUEST now feels a bit dull, been there done that kinda thing so... that's not critical of the game BUT they need timimplement OPERATIONS like BF1... and they could be into a winner. I Mean those games could be 45 minutes long they were great!

Associate
I just tested this game as I didn't realise I could get access through EA Play. Other people may get a better experience but for me, sadly it's going to have to be a miss. Low settings give around 60-70FPS which obviously works but doesn't look too pretty, and it just didn't feel smooth. Anything medium and above, my FPS just tanks. Looks like finally my GPU has been left behind.

I'm not upgrading as I don't plan on playing intense games, I'll get to this whenever I manage to get a better PC. I tend to play older games anyway, so doesn't really affect me much. It's a little disappointing though as DICE games have always looked good and being very well optimised even on my aging machine.

yeah i grabbed EA play last night and tried it out, low settings 50-60 fps with the odd dip 30s
was worth testing it out but even if i was hitting a constant 60fps at low settings i would pass.. i need mostly high settings to enjoy the game for myself

just for reference incase anyone with a similar build is thinking to try, im running a i5 4670k @ stock with a GTX 970

Soldato
Am not enjoying it. I hate the gunplay something feels off, dislike the AI, UI is so bad and what is with the blue filter? Lol

I'll keep playing but do far its a EA play title for a few months.

DICE have learned nothing.

I had to up the mouse sensitivity to 42 to get it to feel like other games. Yeah, the blue filter - I wondered if it was suppression or as it happened near some exploded gas tanks it was after effects from that.

Don't like;
The banner across the top of the screen is very annoying - cant see option to turn that off. Ruins immersion.
Seen people jumping and instantly sliding then jumping (set to macro) etc
grappling hook is too unrealistic.
proximity sensors and gimmicks as a whole.
Jets are too maneuverable and aircraft seem bullet proof.
Crossplay makes the gunplay awful.
Hopefully some infantry only and hardcore options with lower TTK are implemented into the full game.
Turrets or gunner in vehicles is a juddery mess.
Tornado........just ridiculous and not needed.

Teams and even squad members driving off in vehicles. Absolutely no team work at all or squad play in any of the games I played over 3hrs last night.

Will play until my 1 month sub runs out - if I'm still playing by bonfire night I'll buy it. MAtes who I've gamed with since BF2 not overly impressed. But it is still beta, so lots of things can be fixed and changed.

Man of Honour
The lack of vehicles don't help. Things like more quads wouldn't go a miss, quite boring just walking from spawn to the other side of a map because the guys in vehicles have already captured before you get there.

We just press B and spawn a light vehicle on us and drive that around, though possibly a lot of people dont realise you can do that yet.

Man of Honour
I had to up the mouse sensitivity to 42 to get it to feel like other games. Yeah, the blue filter - I wondered if it was suppression or as it happened near some exploded gas tanks it was after effects from that.

Don't like;
The banner across the top of the screen is very annoying - cant see option to turn that off. Ruins immersion.
Seen people jumping and instantly sliding then jumping (set to macro) etc
grappling hook is too unrealistic.
proximity sensors and gimmicks as a whole.
Jets are too maneuverable and aircraft seem bullet proof.
Crossplay makes the gunplay awful.
Hopefully some infantry only and hardcore options with lower TTK are implemented into the full game.
Turrets or gunner in vehicles is a juddery mess.
Tornado........just ridiculous and not needed.

Teams and even squad members driving off in vehicles. Absolutely no team work at all or squad play in any of the games I played over 3hrs last night.

Will play until my 1 month sub runs out - if I'm still playing by bonfire night I'll buy it. MAtes who I've gamed with since BF2 not overly impressed. But it is still beta, so lots of things can be fixed and changed.

I'll have to give it a try on 42 and see how it feels.

On the other items...

The banner across the top of the screen is very annoying - cant see option to turn that off. Ruins immersion. - I havent really noticed the banner, I will have to have a closer look and see what you mean

Seen people jumping and instantly sliding then jumping (set to macro) etc - I havent seen that yet, doesnt mean its not happening, just means that I havent noticed it

grappling hook is too unrealistic. - I guess maybe thats how grappling hooks work in the future ;)

proximity sensors and gimmicks as a whole. - I like these items, I think they open up more options for playstyle rather than just run and gun. Having said that, some of the items arent much use, like the healing pistol for example. When I rez someone they generally just sprint off before I even have a chance to heal them so its a pretty pointless item. Might be of much more use in a proper squad though rather than a randoms squad

Jets are too maneuverable and aircraft seem bullet proof. - I dont really do any air stuff as I am useless in them, I've not tried to shoot down a jet yet as I figure it will be too hard a target to get but I have shot down a lot of heli's and those VTOL things

Crossplay makes the gunplay awful. - I have crossplay disabled so cant comment on this

Hopefully some infantry only and hardcore options with lower TTK are implemented into the full game. - I'm 100% certain there will be some infantry only maps and various other options/modes available in the full release

Turrets or gunner in vehicles is a juddery mess. - I agree with this, whilst driving the vehicles seems ok, when I was in a turret it was very jerky/juddery to the point where it was nigh on impossible to hit anything from the turret. Hopefully thats just a beta build issue and wont be present in the release

Teams and even squad members driving off in vehicles. Absolutely no team work at all or squad play in any of the games I played over 3hrs last night. - This doesnt surprise me in the slightest, I dont think I have ever seen any proper teamwork in any beta of a BF game because most people are just using the beta as a mess around, I expect things to improve in this regard once release comes and people start to play a bit more properly

Tornado........just ridiculous and not needed. - I havent had a tornado spawn yet so cant comment

Will play until my 1 month sub runs out - if I'm still playing by bonfire night I'll buy it. MAtes who I've gamed with since BF2 not overly impressed. - Funny you should mention this, when I look at the hell hole of idiots that reside on the Steam forum theres a mass of people saying stuff like "only a new player would like BF2042" and "real BF veterans will hate it" etc, which is ironic because I was in the very first BF beta ever in BF1942 and have played every BF since and I like BF2042 so far :)

Soldato
I'll have to give it a try on 42 and see how it feels.

On the other items...

The banner across the top of the screen is very annoying - cant see option to turn that off. Ruins immersion. - I havent really noticed the banner, I will have to have a closer look and see what you mean

Seen people jumping and instantly sliding then jumping (set to macro) etc - I havent seen that yet, doesnt mean its not happening, just means that I havent noticed it

grappling hook is too unrealistic. - I guess maybe thats how grappling hooks work in the future ;)

proximity sensors and gimmicks as a whole. - I like these items, I think they open up more options for playstyle rather than just run and gun. Having said that, some of the items arent much use, like the healing pistol for example. When I rez someone they generally just sprint off before I even have a chance to heal them so its a pretty pointless item. Might be of much more use in a proper squad though rather than a randoms squad

Jets are too maneuverable and aircraft seem bullet proof. - I dont really do any air stuff as I am useless in them, I've not tried to shoot down a jet yet as I figure it will be too hard a target to get but I have shot down a lot of heli's and those VTOL things

Crossplay makes the gunplay awful. - I have crossplay disabled so cant comment on this

Hopefully some infantry only and hardcore options with lower TTK are implemented into the full game. - I'm 100% certain there will be some infantry only maps and various other options/modes available in the full release

Turrets or gunner in vehicles is a juddery mess. - I agree with this, whilst driving the vehicles seems ok, when I was in a turret it was very jerky/juddery to the point where it was nigh on impossible to hit anything from the turret. Hopefully thats just a beta build issue and wont be present in the release

Teams and even squad members driving off in vehicles. Absolutely no team work at all or squad play in any of the games I played over 3hrs last night. - This doesnt surprise me in the slightest, I dont think I have ever seen any proper teamwork in any beta of a BF game because most people are just using the beta as a mess around, I expect things to improve in this regard once release comes and people start to play a bit more properly

Tornado........just ridiculous and not needed. - I havent had a tornado spawn yet so cant comment

Will play until my 1 month sub runs out - if I'm still playing by bonfire night I'll buy it. MAtes who I've gamed with since BF2 not overly impressed. - Funny you should mention this, when I look at the hell hole of idiots that reside on the Steam forum theres a mass of people saying stuff like "only a new player would like BF2042" and "real BF veterans will hate it" etc, which is ironic because I was in the very first BF beta ever in BF1942 and have played every BF since and I like BF2042 so far :)

I disabled crossplay too but when I get killed I still see PS or Xbox emblems next to the players. I'd better check that the setting was saved.

The banner!? Great big red/blue banner thats comes across the top of the screen inch n aff thick when either objective is captured or lost!? TO me it's like someone pulling down a visor :D, Thought I'd turned off critical messages.

True beef veterans are from BF2 and prior. But BF2 was modern warfare which I prefer. I've played all the BF's and hated 1&V - probably becuase I dont like weapons etc in WW1/2 and like modern weapons. Been playing Hell Let loose a bit lately. Not a patch on squad , but that is more to do with my modern warfare preference.

I don't hate it yet - it was just what I didn't like and some of which I've yet maybe to master. HAve another bash tonight with some mates (we're all knockin' on the door of 50) and we've bought all the 'beefs', I do hope we end up liking it. Maybe we just gotta gitgud.

Man of Honour
The banner!? Great big red/blue banner thats comes across the top of the screen inch n aff thick when either objective is captured or lost!? TO me it's like someone pulling down a visor :D, Thought I'd turned off critical messages.

I've honestly not noticed it, hence why I wasnt sure what banner you were on about, now theres two possibilities for this, one is that my eyesight is failing me , two is that I am so focused on whats happening in the centre of my screen that I get a sort of tunnel vision and dont notice the banner at the top. When I play again this evening I'll focus on the top of the screen and see the banner, I guess the fact that I've not noticed it means that I , at least, am not finding it intrusive

(unless it is reason one of course :D )

Soldato
I've honestly not noticed it, hence why I wasnt sure what banner you were on about, now theres two possibilities for this, one is that my eyesight is failing me , two is that I am so focused on whats happening in the centre of my screen that I get a sort of tunnel vision and dont notice the banner at the top. When I play again this evening I'll focus on the top of the screen and see the banner, I guess the fact that I've not noticed it means that I , at least, am not finding it intrusive

(unless it is reason one of course :D )

Well dont look for it. As it'll be once your attention is drawn - you cant unsee it. Forget it was ever mentioned :D

Associate
Played a few games of this and thoroughly enjoying it to be honest. Definitely closer to BF4/3 which can only be a good thing although the revive stuff is annoying when not playing with a decent squad.

Bit of stuttering here and there and then had one huge stutter with which my SSD died which isn't ideal but not sure I can blame the game - my other SSD same age died a month or so ago so not too surprised. Does mean I need to manically sort a replacement though :)

Caporegime
The game runs very well on old hardware tbh. My RX480 and i5 6600k kept 60fps on medium at 1080P. Will play like this for a month to see how the game is before I upgrade.

Shame really as it looks fantastic on my series X but will not use a controller unless it is for flying.

Caporegime
its not bad needs polish. as usual vehicles are op as **** . all the top people just vehicle whoring as usual. hoping they tweak this. 95 percent of the player base is infantry. a better balance would make for a better game over all.

Soldato
Played a few games of this and thoroughly enjoying it to be honest. Definitely closer to BF4/3 which can only be a good thing although the revive stuff is annoying when not playing with a decent squad.

Bit of stuttering here and there and then had one huge stutter with which my SSD died which isn't ideal but not sure I can blame the game - my other SSD same age died a month or so ago so not too surprised. Does mean I need to manically sort a replacement though :)

SSD's dying!? As they had no moving parts I thought they'd last years. And you've had 2 die in a couple of months!

Man of Honour
Well dont look for it. As it'll be once your attention is drawn - you cant unsee it. Forget it was ever mentioned :D

Ah yeah, I see it now :) Dont know how I didnt notice that before ! On the plus side there seems to be some talk that the banner is just a placeholder and wont be like that in release, I guess we will have to wait and see

Caporegime
its not bad needs polish. as usual vehicles are op as **** . all the top people just vehicle whoring as usual. hoping they tweak this. 95 percent of the player base is infantry. a better balance would make for a better game over all.

It is always like that at the beginning. Once people know how to take them out that will all change.

Associate
SSD's dying!? As they had no moving parts I thought they'd last years. And you've had 2 die in a couple of months!

Samsung 840 EVOs I've had since early 2014, 250GB died first and the 500GB is the one I've been using in its place that I thought had died but seems to be working again now - very bizarre one tbh... will probably order a replacement anyway and try BF again this evening :) Given I work for WD though I should really get a new mobo and embrace the NVME side :D

Vehicles will be OP until people get used to dealing with them to some extent. Enjoying playing an AA infantry dude but a fully loaded Heli is no joke for sure and wish there was a better way of resupplying ammo for the AA launcher :)

Man of Honour

Best way to deal with the vehicles is to emp them repeatedly with the emp on the drone. You can essentially make a vehicle completely ineffective in this way

Man of Honour

Talking of revive , I would like to see revive being on a different keybind because the number of times I have run up and hit E to revive someone and instead its picked up the weapon off the floor near them instead is driving me bonkers.

Back
Top Bottom