Brand new car...

Soldato
oddly, i didn't realise it was that many?
New cars can require up to 1400 computer chips to manage various systems, ranging from electric windows to infotainment screens and active driver safety systems.

Soldato
I know somebody who ordered his car in February 2021, expected it in October and has now been told it will be February 2023!!!!!. He can reorder the car and go to the back of the queue without the options which are causing the delay but it will still be March 2022 to get that revised car.

Did they say what parts it was that were holding their order up?

Caporegime
Did they say what parts it was that were holding their order up?

Bizarrely the panoramic sunroof of all things! If he hadn't selected that he would have had his car by now. Hence why they cant change his build to one without and would have have to start a new build slot.

Although that new build would now come without wireless charging, internal wifi and upgraded stereo as well now as they are all like unicorn tears.

Man of Honour
If you're ordering a new car today and it has a delivery date of Feb 2022 then it has to be a factory build?

I can only assume it must be but normally in my experience these "20 available of X spec and colour" deals are already ordered and in some process of shipping, if not literally in stock.

Man of Honour
I can only assume it must be but normally in my experience these "20 available of X spec and colour" deals are already ordered and in some process of shipping, if not literally in stock.

I don't really understand your point? You seem to be almost deliberately confusing stock and factory orders. If a car is in stock then you get it more or less right away (Which in car dealer terms is a week or two), because, well, it exists and its parked in the dealers warehouse or at the distribution centre.

If it doesn't, then its built to order and this has always had a lead time measured in months. Being quoted February for a factory order in October is not unusual, it's quite normal. Infact it's positive that you had a lead time as low as that given the circumstances.

Man of Honour
I don't really understand your point? You seem to be almost deliberately confusing stock and factory orders.

In my experience not everything is binary a factory order or literally sitting at the dealer or their storage. At least with the dealers I use anyway.

Usually when they have a deal with x amount of a specific spec it is available within a few weeks if not stock they currently have on site or in storage.

Caporegime
In my experience not everything is binary a factory order or literally sitting at the dealer or their storage. At least with the dealers I use anyway.

Usually when they have a deal with x amount of a specific spec it is available within a few weeks if not stock they currently have on site or in storage.

I sort of get your point and II have done the same, bought a car still in build in the factory which the dealer had already specced up and ordered. Equally I have bought cars when they have been on the boat and were what the dealer described as "free stock to the first dealer who wants them" and another which was in the factory car park awaiting dispatch.

But none of them I would call a factory order as none of them you could change the spec, that had been locked in.

Any car which is a true factory order would normally be 8 - 14 weeks depending on the manufacturer, currently up to 18 months with the current climate.

Man of Honour
I sort of get your point and II have done the same, bought a car still in build in the factory which the dealer had already specced up and ordered. Equally I have bought cars when they have been on the boat and were what the dealer described as "free stock to the first dealer who wants them" and another which was in the factory car park awaiting dispatch.

But none of them I would call a factory order as none of them you could change the spec, that had been locked in.

Any car which is a true factory order would normally be 8 - 14 weeks depending on the manufacturer, currently up to 18 months with the current climate.

Yeah I probably didn't put it very clearly but in my experience in the past they've had the stuff immediately in stock, standard/popular specs the dealer has already advanced which were usually a few weeks as well as the factory order stuff. Now at least the dealers I have anything to do with only have immediate stock or you are waiting until at least Feb 2022 even for the standard/popular spec deals.

Associate
What are peoples thoughts on delivery times going forward?
Better to place order now with the attendant risks or wait till next year ditto

If it was me I would wait and get a car that a dealer has in stock or coming into stock rather than wait an indeterminate time for as car that might change in the period that I am waiting for it.

My new Sorento PHEV was on the boat fro Korea when I ordered it and I got in within 6 weeks. Now they are a 12 month wait! There is no way that I would wait that long for a car. My wife's ID3 is the same - pre-reg car for her, better spec and cheaper than the new one she had ordered, and it was delivered within a fortnight rather than the several month wait for the unregistered one. Now they are also a minimum 40 week wait. DTD, Broadspeed, Carwow, etc allow you to see stock vehicles and dealers know what is coming. If the actual spec of the vehicle doesn't bother you then this would be my choice.

Soldato
Expected and actually delivered by then are two different things,. The car I ordered at the beginning of May had a delivery date of 15th November and it definitely wont be that now. The manufacturer is unsure themselves but looking likely to be at least 2022 now.

How has your car order progressed? Ours landed in the UK yesterday, due to get to the dealers in 2 weeks.

Man of Honour
Had an email from the Nissan commercial dealer I use with an update about their stock availability - once their current stocked vehicles are gone in some cases the wait is until March 2023 - they are even offering the option of purchasing (new) stock of the equivalent vehicle from other brands through them where possible where they don't have availability (with their servicing option behind it).

Soldato
with the changes on ev/phev grants , presumably you could find 'price' will effectively increase - do you always have a free out if the changes is unpalatable.

Soldato
OP
its pretty much as bad in the bike world from the sounds of it: https://road.cc/content/blog/defence-ribble-delays-retailer-speaks-out-288869

Yep, I actually wanted to buy a Ribble gravel ebike, but even ordering in Oct 2021, the best delivery date they could give me was June 2022!

With the likelihood of that date being pushed out even further I decided to get an ordinary gravel bike when it popped up in the Black Friday sales.

That cost me a grand with a pretty much identical spec to the e-gravel bike, putting the price of a motor and battery for the Ribble at almost 2 grand!

Didn't seem worth it to me.

Back
Top Bottom