*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Question - I don't want to upgrade to Win 11 yet and only one of the 4 family PCs seem capable of it. Should I upgrade the only one that will upgrade - or leave well alone for now??

My newest on (B550 motherboard bought last year / AMD Ryzen 3600) seems capable of it (UEFI firmware, Secure Boot capable. TPM Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0. capable) BUT it is not currently running secure boot or with TPM activated.

I have read how to activate these from the BIOS for my one capable PC but am unsure what will happen to my windows 10 installation on this PC if all I do is turn the secure boot and TPM security features (as a test) but DO NOT install Win 11. Will this mess up my windows 10 installation and my current "sharing" across the other family PCs? (As the other 3 pcs never will be Win 11 capable.)

Advice please? Thanks, Mel

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Can you still get windows updates if you bypass the installation? I'm sure I read somewhere that you will not receive updates.

You read nowhere that you won't receive them lol. What you did read was the statement from an MS page that you're not "entitled" to updates. Strong use of specific wording. Nowhere does anything say you will not receive updates. They have to say not entitled because you are accepting the bypass method and installing it on something they officially don't class as supported even though it very much is and will continue to be - So to cover their backs and turn anyone who may have an issue at some point away, they will just say "its in the rules, fix it yourself" if you contact MS support one day.

All updates via WU are continuing to happen for everyone.

Either way, Windows Update isn't the only way to install Windows Updates and it's been like this since Windows Update has been a thing.

Soldato
You read nowhere that you won't receive them lol. What you did read was the statement from an MS page that you're not "entitled" to updates. Strong use of specific wording. Nowhere does anything say you will not receive updates. They have to say not entitled because you are accepting the bypass method and installing it on something they officially don't class as supported even though it very much is and will continue to be - So to cover their backs and turn anyone who may have an issue at some point away, they will just say "its in the rules, fix it yourself" if you contact MS support one day.

All updates via WU are continuing to happen for everyone.

Either way, Windows Update isn't the only way to install Windows Updates and it's been like this since Windows Update has been a thing.

I didn't have tpm fw enabled either in Windows 10, enabled it booted to Windows 10 fine, ran the check tool and installed

No issues at all

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I guess what all this has highlighted is the massive amount of confusion MS has created only to go ahead and provide an official bypass after the day of release lol.

Soldato
This has probably been asked but 43 pages is a lot to search through.

I was going to upgrade to Win 11 tonight but Win Update displayed "This PC doesn't currently meet all the system requirements for Windows 11". I've since ran the Health Check app and found out I needed to enable TPM 2.0 which I've done, and updated the BIOS to the latest version also. The problem now is that Win Update still displays the same message despite the Health Check app now giving the all clear and TPM 2.0 being enabled.

I've checked online and found this as it's apparently a known problem, but I'm wondering if anyone here found a way to get around it. Ideally I don't want to download the ISO and do a complete install.

This has probably been asked but 43 pages is a lot to search through.

I was going to upgrade to Win 11 tonight but Win Update displayed "This PC doesn't currently meet all the system requirements for Windows 11". I've since ran the Health Check app and found out I needed to enable TPM 2.0 which I've done, and updated the BIOS to the latest version also. The problem now is that Win Update still displays the same message despite the Health Check app now giving the all clear and TPM 2.0 being enabled.

I've checked online and found this as it's apparently a known problem, but I'm wondering if anyone here found a way to get around it. Ideally I don't want to download the ISO and do a complete install.

Had the same problem, i downloaded 11 to USB and ran it from desktop to just upgrade, worked fine :)

Don
So two things they've finally fixed..

(this was fixed a few months ago in Windows 10 also)
Now in Notepad, when you press CTRL + backspace, it deletes the whole word instead of inserting an invalid character.

Snipping Tool file extensions are now saved in lowercase instead of uppercase.

I've reported both of these about 20 times to MS since the early Longhorn previews of Vista.

My only gripe so far with Windows 11 is not being able to tick a box or reg entry that says 'always display all taskbar items', now you have to manually set them; annoying.

Man of Honour
I guess the updates servers are under load due to Windows 11 or something - got 2 Windows 10 machines where the Windows Update page is just a blank white page with the progress dots constantly going left to right at the top and never doing anything while putting a constantly slight load on the CPU... short of messing about killing services, etc. not much I can do to stop it. This is why forced automatic updates are stupid.

K83MwYw.png

EDIT: On the plus side while monitoring it I discovered one of the machines has a memory leak (probably due to the Intel GPU driver) in DWM yay :( now to try and solve that issue...

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, looking like I can't do that.

Here's what my start menu currently looks like:

Vb5kjVN.png

I don't need or want anything else pinned there particularly. I have taskbar and desktop shortcuts for anything else that's used frequently, and the all apps page (which, while I'm ranting and raving, also has a bunch of wasted space since it remains at the full width of the start menu when you click into it!) for anything used infrequently. That's a lot of screen real estate being used for five shortcuts, four if I remove the Task Manager one now that I'm training my brain to right-click the start button instead of the taskbar.

Genuinely don't get how that's an improvement on the 10 menu. I'd have 8/8.1's start screen back over this, at least there were third party tools to make custom launcher tiles for it...
The new star menu and overall UI really hasn’t been thought through at all

Soldato
Ive retreated back to win10 for the time being, just over niggly things like, the calendar wont work and I cant use a app that stops windows from sleeping when streaming media to other devices.. Plus win11 doesn't offer any benefit for the gamer atm, so I might stay on win10 till Im forced to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom