Energy Suppliers

Caporegime
I am expecting 10-20%. Hopefully I am not wrong.

From my understanding if it's a pure calculation that's about the minium. Even if gas prices dropped to before this peak. But yeah its a lot especially for the poorest with the 20 pounds cut from UC.

See what France does too with its control of our energy

In my head I was thinking 25-30 when I decided to go fixed not variable

Soldato
Had my prices in from Shell

Gas 4.04p and 26.11p SC
Elec 20.14 and 24.38 SC

About 30% more that i was paying with Green. Still it's better than a lot of tariffs around at the moment i guess.

Seems Utility Warehouse might be £5 a month cheaper but not sure that's worth the hassle incase they go bust again!

Soldato
See what France does too with its control of our energy

What do you mean by this?

We buy energy from France because it’s cheaper than generating it ourselves.

We don’t rely on France for a capacity, we have enough of our own. It’s just cheaper to buy the excess they don’t need rather than produce our own.

In the grand scheme of things, the interconnect is very small and the intention is to use the new interconnects coming online to sell our excess wind back into Europe.

Caporegime
What do you mean by this?

We buy energy from France because it’s cheaper than generating it ourselves.

We don’t rely on France for a capacity, we have enough of our own. It’s just cheaper to buy the excess they don’t need rather than produce our own.

In the grand scheme of things, the interconnect is very small and the intention is to use the new interconnects coming online to sell our excess wind back into Europe.

You're right. Looks like about 1 percent of our usage. Article (unsurprisingly) made it sound much more significant

Soldato
Point on that one would be peak pricing for energy is the most in demand and highly priced. Norway has lots of stored hydro energy apparently, good job by them.
Why does UK have the largest tidal range in the world, every day free energy from our unique coastal geography and we are using none of it.

https://businessnewsindex.com/2021/10/06/natural-gas-prices-plunge-as-putin-promises-more-supply/

Heating water with gas rather then electricity should save money for anyone caught up with higher prices, pan on a gas cooker with a lid on it skip electric kettle convenience for a year.
Pretty sure a couple simple things could mitigate unavoidable rises, put the boiled water in a Thermos flask etc. Sounds boring, anything repeated everyday is going to add up to maybe waste in excess of these costs rise, the freezer or fridge not being sealed properly is likely another common cost

Last edited:
Soldato
Heating water with gas rather then electricity should save money for anyone caught up with higher prices, pan on a gas cooker with a lid on it skip electric kettle convenience for a year.
Pretty sure a couple simple things could mitigate unavoidable rises, put the boiled water in a Thermos flask etc. Sounds boring, anything repeated everyday is going to add up to maybe waste in excess of these costs rise, the freezer or fridge not being sealed properly is likely another common cost

I highly doubt that is correct, gas may be cheaper per kw but so much of it is wasted on a hob compared to a kettle where almost all of the energy makes it into the water.

Why would you boil more than you need and put it in flasks? Pretty much any kettle bought in the last decade has a 1 cup minimum. Boiling only what you need is far more energy efficient.

Caporegime
Had my prices in from Shell

Gas 4.04p and 26.11p SC
Elec 20.14 and 24.38 SC

About 30% more that i was paying with Green. Still it's better than a lot of tariffs around at the moment i guess.

Seems Utility Warehouse might be £5 a month cheaper but not sure that's worth the hassle incase they go bust again!
I was on an economy 7 tariff with Green and now I'm on a flat tariff with Shell so my bill's going to be at least 50% higher. I'm also seemingly paying higher than you even though I'm, apparently, on the lowest tariff they have :confused:

Gas 4.197p and 26.11 SC
Elec 21.607 and 25.66 SC

Edit: The email doesn't mention anything about Economy 7 but their website says I'll be moved over to an Economy 7 traffic once my account's set up. Phew.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would you boil more than you need and put it in flasks? Pretty much any kettle bought in the last decade has a 1 cup minimum. Boiling only what you need is far more energy efficient.

I agree using the right amount is probably best but I also know people boil full kettles way too often and then let it cool so wasted energy. People might criticise microwaves for similar reasons, but if its targeted better it could be superior similar argument I think. Main thing is to consider or even measure which route is better. I never get why people heat empty houses on a set clock, I like the idea of being able to set which radiators heat which rooms via a phone app which I think is possible and that could result in savings.

Energy efficient cooking - use less energy when cooking - Uswitch

Soldato
Sounds boring, anything repeated everyday is going to add up to maybe waste in excess of these costs rise, the freezer or fridge not being sealed properly is likely another common cost

Keeping the fridge and freezer full will also help. If you can't fill it with food, bottles of tap water in the fridge and make up bags of ice for the freezer.

Caporegime
Keeping the fridge and freezer full will also help. If you can't fill it with food, bottles of tap water in the fridge and make up bags of ice for the freezer.
That's what I do, 6 pint bottles of milk filled with water once I've finished with them. I've got a 30 year old freezer that was using around 1.8kWh a day during the summer thanks to it being in a south facing utility room and never being more than half full. Would've used way more had it not been for the bottles of water.

Soldato
Whats annoying is that we could be building tons of solar parks to handle the electricity we need.

But ofgem is so inept it makes it ridiculously difficult to do so. Not to mention the people who own the grid... the connections cost millions, to then have the connection handed over to the large companies in control to only be rented back to the person who paid for the connection in the first place.

It's mental, handing millions of £ connections to foreign companies for free.. no wonder not many people are wanting to gamble on building solar parks.

I know a guy who could get 500Megawatt of solar built within a year, but can't due to the moronic limitations put in front of them.

Soldato
I do think legislation will have to change to put through energy generation projects quickly. We're going to be at the mercy of Russia et al for the next decade otherwise.

Soldato
I was on an economy 7 tariff with Green and now I'm on a flat tariff with Shell so my bill's going to be at least 50% higher. I'm also seemingly paying higher than you even though I'm, apparently, on the lowest tariff they have :confused:

Gas 4.197p and 26.11 SC
Elec 21.607 and 25.66 SC

Edit: The email doesn't mention anything about Economy 7 but their website says I'll be moved over to an Economy 7 traffic once my account's set up. Phew.

I guess it's location dependant, i guess it costs more to get the gas/electricity to Cornwall?

Caporegime
We have a boiler with hot water tank on an Economy 7 tariff (14.6p per kWh). Would it be more efficient to heat our water overnight using the immersion heater, or stick with gas at 4p per kwh?

Give it a go. Do each for a week and see if you can record a unit cost in pounds.

It won't be perfect but it'll give you some idea.

Soldato
We have a boiler with hot water tank on an Economy 7 tariff (14.6p per kWh). Would it be more efficient to heat our water overnight using the immersion heater, or stick with gas at 4p per kwh?

The boiler will be an order of magnitude cheaper. I would say at least half the cost, even after heat exchanger losses to the tank.

A correctly set up boiler once it gets into its condensing mode can be 90+% efficient. For electric to work out cheaper at 14.6p/kWh the boiler would need to be below 30% efficient end to end. I just can’t see that ever being the case.

Back
Top Bottom