Let's talk splinters.

Associate
Let's get down to brass tacks here. it's time to tackle something that I've seen gone unsaid on these forums ever since I joined - probs six months ago. Let's not avoid it anymore. Let's open up and talk about splinters.

I'm here trying to wrestle one out and I have very clear memories of hating my mother taking them out as a child. I can''t remember how she did it. The squeeze the last bit of toothpaste method, maybe.

Then I was at my friend Rob's house one day and he had a splinter and his mother told him to find a needle and I was all like what's the needle for and then it turned out she was going to cut open the skin where the splinter was and basically perform an operation that really should have been left to a professional right in from of me. And Rob, knowing what this was going to be used for WENT AND GOT the needle. I'm really hoping Rob's mum was an outlier here.

Anyway. I'm now sort of using the needle technique and feeling quite brave. But it's hard to know when they're out. And then I sort of do that thing which I also did as a child which is put a plaster on it and hope that by the time I take the plaster off the splinter will be no more. Either by being somehow sucked out (though god knows how) by the plaster or - and guys this is worrisome - by getting "absorbed" by the "body." I don't even think this is a thing.

Anyway. Splinters, amiright?
What's your method? Drop a link in the comments and like and subscribe.

Soldato
Soak hand in a sink full of the hottest water you can manage until it goes all wrinkly then it seems to come right out with needle/tweezers to assist.

Soldato
If it's not protruding enough to grab the end with a pair of tweezers, just widen the hole with said tweezers or similar until you can get it. That still results in a tiny wound, we're talking splinters here, not shrapnel.

When I was a kid I reached under a wooden armchair for a ball once, and the face of my thumb was rubbing along the underside of the chair - which resulted in an inch long splinter going right under the nail. That one hurt! Pulled that out with my teeth.

Associate
Vernier/digital caliper. The hardened, precision ground anvils can grab onto any splinter, nice point as well for the awkward to reach ones and a thumb wheel to make sure you can get enough pressure. Job done! Working in engineering has some uses!

Also has this any link to this thread!

Associate
A women posted on Facebook or twitter she uses the syringe for the calpol bottles to suck them out
Me personally I use anything sharp to dig them out. I was a metal worker so lots of little ones mostly in the thumb.

Soldato
Lidl did a Home hobby box with a handle and all sorts of fine very sharp blades - just pick one and slice it open.

It's a good job the young today don't have to go to war. :D

Soldato
another needle user here

Same if they can't be pulled out with a tweezer, then i'll use a needle.

It's actually pretty easy, the skin is made of lots of layers, and most time the splinter only gets under the surface, so just lightly poke away at the top of the skin to cut it out.

Soldato
Well, we're not talking about naval splinters that were 3' long and skewered men amidst the cannon-fire, here...

Grab yer Swiss Army knife and hoik it out with the tweezers, pliers, straight pin or the pen blade, then get on with your day.

Soldato
I had a deep splinter in the side of a finger which I couldn't get at and the area became red and swollen. I went to the minor injury hospital and a nurse got the splinter out:

She began squeezing my finger really hard and said I might feel some popping, which I did. With really hard squeezing, the top of the splinter emerged, she grabbed it with the tweezers and pulled it out.

Job done!

Back
Top Bottom