Explain to me the benefits of a smartwatch & recommend me one

Soldato
Im trying to work out if I would get much use out of a smartwatch.

I have taken up running again recently. I normally like to listen to a podcast whilst I run, which means I am carrying my relatively hefty Samsung Note, and I have been wondering if there might be a "smart" way of avoiding the need to carry a phone.

Smart watch features that appeal, in order of importance ( I dont know if they are all possible?)

- tell time
- play music/ podcasts
- take calls/ receive messages whilst out running
- health tracking/gps tracking - Despite enjoying running, this one is actually of limited appeal, as i am really not interested in what my heart rate is etc, but all the watches seem to offer this and I imagine I might give it a go.

Are there watches that can do the above?

Are there any features that i have not mentioned, which any of your really like?
(Note - I have not mentioned recieving notifications, becasue I think that would be an irritant for me, rather than a feature.)

Are there any watches that you would particularly recommend?

I have been thinking of getting a secondhand watch to dip my toe in and see if I actually get much use from a smartwatch.

Associate
Im trying to work out if I would get much use out of a smartwatch.

I have taken up running again recently. I normally like to listen to a podcast whilst I run, which means I am carrying my relatively hefty Samsung Note, and I have been wondering if there might be a "smart" way of avoiding the need to carry a phone.

Smart watch features that appeal, in order of importance ( I dont know if they are all possible?)

- tell time
- play music/ podcasts
- take calls/ receive messages whilst out running
- health tracking/gps tracking - Despite enjoying running, this one is actually of limited appeal, as i am really not interested in what my heart rate is etc, but all the watches seem to offer this and I imagine I might give it a go.

Are there watches that can do the above?

Are there any features that i have not mentioned, which any of your really like?
(Note - I have not mentioned recieving notifications, becasue I think that would be an irritant for me, rather than a feature.)

Are there any watches that you would particularly recommend?

I have been thinking of getting a secondhand watch to dip my toe in and see if I actually get much use from a smartwatch.

You have a Samsung phone so the obvious choice is either the Samsung galaxy watch 4 or the galaxy watch 4 classic.

You can do all of the things you have mentioned and some.
Heart rate monitoring.
Samsung health.
BMI.
Blood oxygen lvls.
Strava i believe is a very good app for runners ect.
Whilst the watch is relatively new they will update the GPS and the heart rate monitoring which for some people can be slightly off. but normally a few firmware updates it will get a lot better.
Since you want to leave your phone at home i would advise you to get the LTE version. (now especially they have fixed the overheating problem).

Hope it helps

Soldato
I use my smart watch for:

• Alerting me if I’ve been sat down a while - handy as I otherwise find I can be sat down for a couple of hours without noticing
  • Important notifications without needing my phone on me
  • Health/fitness tracking
  • Source of music on outdoor runs
  • Siri - timers/sending a message to say ETA when driving and that sort of thing

I don’t use it for:

• taking calls if I don’t have my phone on me - I do do it, but it’s not why I got it, and I still only take it if it’s a family member
  • Notifications about everything - you’re otherwise constantly looking at your wrist, often when speaking to someone face to face which is a bad habit to get into
  • Sleep tracking - unimportant to me. I don’t want to stress/obsess about sleep

Soldato
I had the orignal Galaxy Watch and it did all the above, plus more.
In principle, it's awesome, but during actual use I found I hated how it did everything. I managed about a week before deciding I hated it too much and got rid of it.

Soldato
OP
I use my smart watch for:

• Alerting me if I’ve been sat down a while - handy as I otherwise find I can be sat down for a couple of hours without noticing
  • Important notifications without needing my phone on me
  • Health/fitness tracking
  • Source of music on outdoor runs
  • Siri - timers/sending a message to say ETA when driving and that sort of thing

I don’t use it for:

• taking calls if I don’t have my phone on me - I do do it, but it’s not why I got it, and I still only take it if it’s a family member
  • Notifications about everything - you’re otherwise constantly looking at your wrist, often when speaking to someone face to face which is a bad habit to get into
  • Sleep tracking - unimportant to me. I don’t want to stress/obsess about sleep

How do you make the phone filter out what is an important notification?

E.g. On WhatsApp I am part of groups about mma or beer drinking, which I wouldn't want to be disturbed by! But on the other hand whatsapp is my daughters primary method of contacting me, and I would like to always be available for that.

Soldato
Gps/heart rate. It also monitors my sleep, tells me how long i slept, seems to know if it's light, rem or deep sleep also.

Soldato
Just had a galaxy watch 4 arrive yesterday.

Loving it so far.

Especially, as I get tons of work emails and find it so much better to simply glance at the watch to see if it's important and needs my attention or not.

Plus, I've used it in swimming training to record the work out. I felt a little dizzy last night, so I had it to my blood pressure and it was a bit too high.. so I had a rest. My bpm was over 200 though, may have had something to do with it.

So it does seem to be informative.

Soldato
How do you make the phone filter out what is an important notification?

E.g. On WhatsApp I am part of groups about mma or beer drinking, which I wouldn't want to be disturbed by! But on the other hand whatsapp is my daughters primary method of contacting me, and I would like to always be available for that.

I get family and important friends to iMessage/Signal me, everything else goes through WhatsApp which I check every now and then :)

And/or I mute conversations so I only read them when I have the time.

Back
Top Bottom