Butternut squash and it’s cousins

Soldato
We had seedless grapes for years. So why hasn’t anyone created seedless squashes? Love BNS but the seeds and sticky membrane stuff is tricky to get rid of.

Plus able to enjoy about 100-150g of extra squash.

Does anyone have any idea of how to get rid of the membrane stuff? I use a teaspoon and still bits there.

Soldato
We had seedless grapes for years. So why hasn’t anyone created seedless squashes? Love BNS but the seeds and sticky membrane stuff is tricky to get rid of.

Plus able to enjoy about 100-150g of extra squash.

Does anyone have any idea of how to get rid of the membrane stuff? I use a teaspoon and still bits there.

Seeds are brilliant, cut bottom half into 4 and pull them out with a fork, then chuck all the seeds into a pan with some olive oil, bit of salt and pepper and roast until dried out.

Soldato
Soldato
seed free - in preparation for halloween butternutpumpkin pie

sorry kids no sweets, the supermarket shelves are bare - a piece of pumpkin pie ?

genuine pumpkins are a bit of waste of resources, I've never cooked up the scooped out interior, but apparently, not very tasty -
if Aldi was selling a massive butternut on the other hand ...

51573865366_f762d57171_o_d.jpg

Soldato
An ordinary table spoon works for me to scrape out the seeds & membrane. Just quarter to make it easier. If you can get under the membrane to scoop it off instead of scraping at it, it should be easier.

Roast BNS with beetroot & pork chops (or sausages) is a winter favorite in our house. And it makes an excellent soup, either with chili and some coconut milk, or with ginger and sage are my favourites.

Soldato
Interesting bbc podcast today talking about potential improved flavour butter nut varieties (The culinary breeding network),
with GMO manipulation we can do outside Europe - finally the brexit benefit.
In the meantime will be looking for Rogosa Violina Gioia variety which has a wrinled skin - reward offered.

Back
Top Bottom