Sky glass

Soldato
yeah I can see the need for such a service but why the whole tv. Why not just a box that you can use with any tv?

now if you need a new tv as well then great it works well but what if you have a new tv or a better one then sky offer.

I assume that a separate box option will be on its way soon. Full TV option will not work for them alone.

Associate
It sounds decent but almost certain your C9 will have better picture quality.

It is a qled TV though and apparently has a full array local dimming panel (though apparently not many zones) so should be decent.

Bar the ability to buy these 0% interest over a long period of time I don't see the appeal Vs the competition. Likely better off with 65X90J which by Black Friday will be same price at 65 inch for example.

Yeah I think my C9 likely have a better picture, but just moving house & the new living room shape won’t suit my C9 setup as I use a N950 atmos sound bar/separate sub & rear speakers whereas my bedroom shape is centred perfectly so it will suit.

With the Glass I can just put it where it suits in the new living room & I also have a 14 month old who likes to unplug my nvidia shield etc haha. Least with this glass I may get away with just plugging it in and leaving it.

I think they are selling it at a loss, the neat thing is the sky contract is now 31 days rolling so you can just cancel that and grab the tv at £21 a month for example.

Don
What's the point them offering a high spec picture quality TV when their broadcast PQ is so poor.

I'm convinced they lowered their HD broadcast quality to make their so call 4k broadcast image look better by comparison.

Wouldn't surprise me - I left SkyQ last year and moved to the latest Freesat box - compared to the SkyQ box, even the SD channels seem to be of much better quality.

Man of Honour
Wouldn't surprise me - I left SkyQ last year and moved to the latest Freesat box - compared to the SkyQ box, even the SD channels seem to be of much better quality.

I would've happily left Sky this year and not gone to anyone else, ditched the TV licence and just watched streaming services we already subscribe to.

Literally the only thing I watch on TV is F1 and I could easily give that up for the sake of £40-50 month on a TV package, plus £13 for a TV licence.

But my wife wouldn't go for it, so I got a decent renewal deal and stayed with Sky. I can get VM in my area, but their box and PQ isn't any better either.

Soldato
Mine does it and it's connected via an amplifier. But also does it if it's directly connected to the TV and I use ARC, which also causes audio sync issues as well.
I'm not sure if it's an actual fault or just a hdmi handshake issue. My TV is almost 5 years old and I've only had q maybe a year or so. I'm trying to justify an upgrade, 75 inch is what I want, anything else will be too small as I'm at 60 now and sit quite far from the TV.

Associate
From Sky forums a support guy said it works independent to the Glass TV. It could technically be a over the internet solution for Sky TV. I do not understand why they don't just offer it by itself.

Maybe that is the plan once they've finished making a fuss about the Glass. Need some form of solution for people using projectors etc.

Soldato
I'd just rather they launched a Q-type box that worked with the same tech, not an appliance TV I've no interest in on rental.

I'm still stuck on a single feed into a Sky HD box, as it's a communal system and there's no appetite to rip it out and replace it.

Associate
From Sky forums a support guy said it works independent to the Glass TV. It could technically be a over the internet solution for Sky TV. I do not understand why they don't just offer it by itself.
The puck works on any TV but connects wirelessly to the SKy Glass TV so there has to be at least one of them in your house (much like Sky Q box and the Mini box now). Apparently you can have a maximum of 3 TV's in your house and 6 pucks. I got 1 gig down connection so i like the thought of it but i do not know why they did not just make an app that could work with any TV. Apparently you can record and the recordings live in the cloud

I do not liek teh thickness of it but apparently the sound is very good and has six speakers with 1 in each side. It is interesting but will wait for reviews, all HDMI ports are 2.1 so will be interesting if can go to 120hz. They have also said they are commited to bringing out new software annually and new hardware every 2 years with end users being able to swap their existing sky glass TV's for newer models when available (starting a new contract i expect)

Soldato
You can pick one - thin-ness or good sound. The two are pretty much mutually exclusive.
It's hardly "fat" though is it? Personally I prefer a bit more meet on my tvs, I've got a couple on the study and the top half feels very frail when it's moved, which I realise is not often, but the bottom of the tv is not slim so don't know why they bother with the top being slim.

Soldato
I think it's going to be a flop. Why they feel the need to tie it in with an entire TV I do not know.

Flop was the first thing I thought reading the article. If they were offering the product quite a bit cheaper than the competition then I could see the appeal. Why would someone pay nearly £900 for the 55" of this when there's much better options on the market for that sort of price.

If anything this just shows you the thin margins that are made from selling TVs.

Soldato
Flop was the first thing I thought reading the article. If they were offering the product quite a bit cheaper than the competition then I could see the appeal. Why would someone pay nearly £900 for the 55" of this when there's much better options on the market for that sort of price.

If anything this just shows you the thin margins that are made from selling TVs.

I think they are trying to aim it more at the consumer who will take it on the monthly fee. Buy now pay later stuff etc is so popular now.

Also, obviously need to see some reviews, but sounds like it might come from a fairly decent inbuilt sound system, so it's like a TV and a sound bar for £849 which isn't too bad.

Back
Top Bottom